Gearing - is it time to change?

2»

Comments

• BIG RING EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Clearly I have sparked a discussion here.
    ...My thinking was that if I went to a 12-28 from a 12-30 my easiest gear would be harder than what I have now so if I can build my strength further then I'll eventually be spinning the same in a 28t as I was in the 30t thus going quicker?...

In order to do that, you need more power, not strength.
    You don't need hills to work on your threshold power :)
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Supermurph09 - Just out of interest - what was your time at Monsal on Sunday? I grew up 2miles from Monsal Head and now only live about 6miles away and yet until yesterday I didn't know this event existed!! I believe this year's was its 83rd year!?!?
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Supermurph09 - Just out of interest - what was your time at Monsal on Sunday? I grew up 2miles from Monsal Head and now only live about 6miles away and yet until yesterday I didn't know this event existed!! I believe this year's was its 83rd year!?!?

Hi, great event. I did 2m 08s, which I guess is where I am at right now. Maybe 3-4 seconds less if not for a couple of dodgy gear changes. Head wanted to break 2m, heart thinks 2m 08 was about right. As mentioned by others above its power I need to work on and also my core strength. I've set myself a sub 1m 50s target for next year. There will be no fail.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Schoie81 wrote:

Hi, great event. I did 2m 08s, which I guess is where I am at right now. Maybe 3-4 seconds less if not for a couple of dodgy gear changes. Head wanted to break 2m, heart thinks 2m 08 was about right. As mentioned by others above its power I need to work on and also my core strength. I've set myself a sub 1m 50s target for next year. There will be no fail.

Well totally by chance, I cycled up Monsal Head yesterday lunchtime - I didn't know at that point that a few days earlier the hill had been crawling with cyclists and their supporters!! I did it a full 49 seconds slower than you!! And I guess you would have had a 'standing start' too!?! Very well done, that time seems like a pipe-dream to me - and how the record holder did it in 74seconds back in 1981 I'll never know! I have cycled up it before, and yesterday was the first time I got up it without having to stop (my first attempt I had to stop to catch my breath twice!!), so I was pleased to get up in one go! Sub 3mins was a bonus for me!! I don't claim to be a good climber, but I guess I live in the wrong part of the country, so have no choice! Again - well done!! :D
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Cheers, yes it was a standing start. :) I'm sure with practice you'll improve quite quickly, as a new cyclist that is one of the benefits, more practice = rapid improvement.