How do I minimise my losses, after a big night out?

Pownie
Pownie Posts: 16
Hi there , I know this is not the done thing. But Im in a 100km funride next week which ive been planning for some time. The problem is my football end of season prize giving is the night before. We won the league and I dont want to miss us collect the trophy and this comes with the standard night of drinking quite a lot of beer. Im not planning on winning the funride but was hoping to be up in the quicker groups. Any tips on how to recover before 9am? Im going to try and reduce the amount I drink and maybe even go with a few sly shandys, but I can already imagine the cramp setting in and the struggle to get up to race. Any tips?

Comments

• Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I know the temptation to have a drink with the lads,i have been there are it kills me,but be strong and drink a glass of orange or similar.Nothing to be ashamed about and once the night is over all will be forgotten.

I play darts and have a presentation every year,once or twice i have had to drink pop,no worries,no one will laugh at you,just think about the morning after,that's more important.Drink is not always the answer.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Trust me you cannot mix the two. Think about how your footie mates would react if you got sloshed before a match. Have a couple then start to mix in something to keep you hydrated, lemonade or juice.

Good luck, it will be tempting.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Don't get blasted, simples. :)
  • Just drink water before going to bed and plenty the next morning, which you likely will anyway as you'll feel dehydrayted 8) . I often ride after heavy nights, including long tons, and though I feel a bit groggy to start with usually by the time I've had my first water bottle I feel fine again, and this is after 7-8 pints of stella the night before.

You've worked hard all year in the footy and derserve to celebrate. To suggest the rest of the football squad won't take the piss when they see you drinking orange juice, I'd guess is a bit of a stretch :shock:

You are not a pro and this after all a fun ride, and if you still want to go with the faster group just do a Cadel Evans and wheel suck for the first hour or so until your legs come to you, it will be fine. And congrats on your footy win :lol:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    How drunk are you planning on getting? I find 4-5 pints is no problem the next day and I hardly drink these days.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Pownie wrote:
    Hi there , I know this is not the done thing. But Im in a 100km funride next week which ive been planning for some time. The problem is my football end of season prize giving is the night before. We won the league and I dont want to miss us collect the trophy and this comes with the standard night of drinking quite a lot of beer. Im not planning on winning the funride but was hoping to be up in the quicker groups. Any tips on how to recover before 9am? Im going to try and reduce the amount I drink and maybe even go with a few sly shandys, but I can already imagine the cramp setting in and the struggle to get up to race. Any tips?

Fun ride or race - which is it? I'm guessing it's probably a fun ride - in which case by all means go on the pi55 the night before. A 60 mile fun ride is not exactly the world RR champs, so ride it however you want.
  • Becks Blue.

But yes, for a fun ride, nothing too worry about providing you stay hydrated.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If your in your early twenties then just drink loads of water it will soon wear off. If you are over fourty then get ready for a world of pain ;)
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Dioralite the next morning and off you go. Bar the calories I'm yet to see any negative effects from drinking in the mid to long term. Yes immediately when you wake up you feel awful but once rehydrated I think it makes little odds. Lack of sleep however.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • make sure you eat plenty leading up to the night out and before you go to bed that night along with a bottle of water, i find that helps massively as to how you feel the next day, you know your body better than anyone else, if there are certain drinks that make you feel worse than others then just avoid them
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Don't drink loads of water after drinking alcohol if you're going to do anything athletic. Although it might help you be less dehydrated, it'll exacerbate the amount of electrolytes you'll pi55 out due to the alcohol and large volume of fluid you'll put through your system.

Drink electrolyte drinks after and in the morning, or even during .. vodka and Hi5 or something when you're out, lol .. a rower taught me that one. Although, you'd hardly use a lot doing 60mi.

As far as sore head, bad stomach and fatigue from not getting into a deep sleep .. that's just down to how much you have and how later you stay out that'll effect how fresh you feel.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Pownie
    Cheers, its a funride and the first of the season here in NZ so its more of a competitive miles building exercise before Taupo. Thanks for the tips, im gonna make the ride and just see how I go. Gonna prepare well before hand, get loads of sleep the days before, eat right, and make sure im hydrated. Probably going to be hard not drinking as much, but football seasons over and im concentrating on the cycling now, so I think youve helped me make up my mind! Yep a bit of wheel sucking for the first hour!
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Drink as little as your 'pride' will allow. Alcohol makes you urinate and also uses up sugar in the blood ( I think!) Shandys and fruit juices will offset these effects. Make sure you have plenty of lquids on the day - with carbs - from eth start.
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    If you are worried about what your mates think of you if you are not drinking then maybe its time you changed your mates? If you do have a skin full then make sure that you are not still over the limit the next morning.
  • Pownie
    No its not about what they think, its more about me wanting to do both, but knowing theres going to have to be some sacrifice.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Have you thought about a tactical chunder at the end of the night.