Compartment Syndrome & Rhabdomyolysis + Bored

Cosmicbike
Cosmicbike Posts: 23
Anyone experienced either compartment syndrome or rhabdomyolysis (or indeed both) before? Early July this year I had both, compartment syndrome leading to rhabdomyolysis, which jumped out on me whilst on a 4 mile ride to try and loosen up. 4 days laying on the sofa with pain only getting worse resulted in an ambulance ride to hospital for a 9 day stay. Appears I'm lucky to have my legs, and kidneys which work, so a close call. What really helped was the bike shop calling the day after I was discharged to advise the new bike was ready to collect, tough one to explain to SWMBO.
Anyway, following advise from an orthopaedic consultant, I worked with a physio to try and rebuild the lost muscle. This was going swimmingly for 4 weeks, then the Sunday before last the right leg started screaming again, and all I did was walk down the stairs. Given the history, off we go to A&E where I find myself admitted again, another 4 days, another dose of rhabdomyolysis (not preceded by compartment syndrome this time), so now laid up once more.
So far have had 3 MRI scans, more blood tests than I can remember, ECG, EMG (that was no fun, who invented sticking needles into your muscles and applying electricity!!). Now working with a rheumatologist to try and find the cause of this repeat episode.
So for now, stuck to the sofa for another week before I start walking again. The bikes are hung up, and boredom has well and truly set in.

Anyways, anyone had this before? Any long term impact, 'cos as ever the internet is full of some real nice horror stories...

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    man that sounds horrific !
    I can bet your going crazy. I did my ankle in (running) last summer and was pretty much bed riden for a week before hobbling around and that drove me to insanity !
    all the best in a speedy recovery and lets hope they sort you so it doesn't come back !
  • I had compartment syndrome following an accident that broke my leg and which was somewhat responsible for my subsequent leg amputation.

Don't screw around asking about this stuff on here - go and get proper medical advice.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,521
    Request treatment using AV Impulse, clinically proven in compartment treatment. Decice comes from a company called Kendall.
  • I had compartment syndrome following an accident that broke my leg and which was somewhat responsible for my subsequent leg amputation.

Don't screw around asking about this stuff on here - go and get proper medical advice.

Under the care of no less than 3 different consultants, but was posting in case there was any others who had experienced similar. Did your accident come about through exertion, or other cause if you don't mind my asking?
  • turnerjohn wrote:
    man that sounds horrific !
    I can bet your going crazy. I did my ankle in (running) last summer and was pretty much bed riden for a week before hobbling around and that drove me to insanity !
    all the best in a speedy recovery and lets hope they sort you so it doesn't come back !

Cabin fever has well and truly set in! Spent the school holidays pretty much laid up after the first episode, no fun for the kids, especially since they wanted to go cycling....

Current episode is the 2nd time in a few months. Following the first I decided to start logging all my exercise, since the orthopaedics consultants were odds on that the cycling was to blame. This is due to their ability to translate me saying 'I do 2 - 3 rides per week, each between 25 & 40 miles', into 'He cycles 80 miles a day at TDF pace' :roll:

So I got me a Garmin and joined Strava. This helped greatly, since I have been able to demonstrate to the orthopaedic consultant that I have followed both his, and the physio whom he recommended, advice to the letter. This has led to me seeing a rheumatologist since it is likely the case will be medical, as opposed to exercise, related. Opens up a whole world of options, some of which are better than others.
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    I suffer Rhabdomyolysis but not as badly as you by the sounds of it. If I do lots of training then have a short layoff, I get tremendous cramps in my quads when walking about or even driving. My pee turns brown and is full of protein. This lasts for a few days then goes on it's own accord.

Not sure if there is a fix so interested in your experiences. Google isn't much help (for a change).
  • boblo wrote:
    I suffer Rhabdomyolysis but not as badly as you by the sounds of it. If I do lots of training then have a short layoff, I get tremendous cramps in my quads when walking about or even driving. My pee turns brown and is full of protein. This lasts for a few days then goes on it's own accord.

Not sure if there is a fix so interested in your experiences. Google isn't much help (for a change).

Yep, coca cola coloured pee is a great indicator! Mine just lays me out, unable to bend at the knee or support weight, very frustrating.

Seeing consultant Thursday and next step I believe will be a muscle biopsy, so see where we go from there...
  • Cosmicbike wrote:
    I had compartment syndrome following an accident that broke my leg and which was somewhat responsible for my subsequent leg amputation.

Under the care of no less than 3 different consultants, but was posting in case there was any others who had experienced similar. Did your accident come about through exertion, or other cause if you don't mind my asking?
    I crashed into an unsighted steel boom gate closed across a road/cycle way.
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    I've had chronic compartment syndrome in my shins which left me with a long lay off from exercise to ease it but it didn't develop into what you've got it sounds horrific, hope you make a good recovery.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Sounds awful! Wiki has some info here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhabdomyolysis I guess as you've got 3 consultants yo're in good hands tho- better than Wiki! Hope you get it sorted!
  • Cosmicbike wrote:
    I had compartment syndrome following an accident that broke my leg and which was somewhat responsible for my subsequent leg amputation.

I crashed into an unsighted steel boom gate closed across a road/cycle way.

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

Saw my consultant today, outcome is that both episodes appear to have been caused by a virus, and I never recovered fully from the first. More blood tests next week, but a muscle biopsy has been decided against unless I suffer a further episode, and if it does happen then a PET scan will also add info. So on the plus side I may have resolution. The down side is no bike, certainly for at least 2 more weeks minimum, though walking and swimming are good to go, and I've been managing a 0.5 mile walk each day since Tuesday. Don't think I could manage the bike yet anyway :(