Has Commuting Chat run its course?

2»

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    As someone who has been on CC and CS for 4 years, and BB since its conception, I really cant be bothered with the us and them definition.
    Most of the arguments (I personally think they are simply wind-ups) are personal, simple as, not group v group.
    Thats my semi-serious observation.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,334
    I think you both have a point. I hate the us and them bit, but different areas do have a slightly different tone. I don't really object to the tone in here generally, but I've worked in the motor trade since my teens so I'm used to this level of humour. Some of the other CC regulars crop up over here from time to time so I would say they don't object to the tone too much either. Likewise Daviesee and some of the others from BB crop up in CC from time to time which is also fine. Cleat used to pop up every now and then. When he was contributing he made some good points, occasionally he would post over there just to stir things up and that tended to just look a bit odd. Obviously you will then get some personalities that clash and some that get on like a house on fire. There will be overlap between the different parts of the forum with regards to where different people are happy to post. It should be possible to draw a venn diagram to show the overlap. I can't be bothered but I like this one:
    VDOIN0.D.png
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm gonna start posting in Bottom Bracket. I can't say when or what thread, but soon! Soon!

Edit: As soon as I finish populating my excel spreadsheet of users on here that are on my 'list'.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • daviesee
    Was that a quantum leap post or do your thoughts automatically appear?

Would explain some things. :wink:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,428
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm gonna start posting in Bottom Bracket. I can't say when or what thread, but soon! Soon!

Edit: As soon as I finish populating my excel spreadsheet of users on here that are on my 'list'.
    Today? This thread?

PM me if you need help with people to put on the list.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    seanoconn wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Today? This thread?

Arse licker :wink: :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Today? This thread?

ars* licker :wink: :P
    Right!

*licks pencil* Your name is going on the list.
  • daviesee
    seanoconn wrote:
    Right!

Does Santa know about this list?
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Today? This thread?

ars* licker :wink: :P
    Right!

I suspect it was on it anyway :wink:
    daviesee wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Right!

Does Santa know about this list?

Good point daviesee...

Dear Santa,

I have been a very good boy this year, arran77 on BikeRadar is nothing whatsoever to do with me, honest.

:lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Can I go on the list?

I've never been on a list. :(
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,334
    XL spreadsheets are old hat, I want to see a venn diagram.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Who or what is DDD?

MrsT x
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • daviesee
    team47b wrote:
    Who or what is DDD?

MrsT x
    Dont worry. You will soon be able to form you're own opinion.
  • arran77
    team47b wrote:
    Who or what is DDD?

MrsT x

It's our favourite cup size :)

seanoconn
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    you must drink an awful lot of tea, Arran.

MrsT x
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,370
    I posted in MTB Tech/Workshop with a query about 29 inch wheels. Just an idiots inquiry as to why you would have a MB with 29" wheels.
    It got f*cking deleted.

So I woulld like to roam a bit more but some feckers wnat to keep me locked up in this hole with this bunch of bacterium.

On a serious note, nobody in here has actively discouraged anyone from posting in BB, I cannot say the same for other parts of the forum.
    Yes it needs new blood...and can someone get rid of the Seanthecon plonker please whilst we're at it?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    I posted in MTB Tech/Workshop with a query about 29 inch wheels. Just an idiots inquiry as to why you would have a MB with 29" wheels.
    It got f*cking deleted.

So I woulld like to roam a bit more but some feckers wnat to keep me locked up in this hole with this bunch of bacterium.

On a serious note, nobody in here has actively discouraged anyone from posting in BB, I cannot say the same for other parts of the forum.
    Yes it needs new blood...and can someone get rid of the Seanthecon plonker please whilst we're at it?
    Don't worry, i've had enough of you churlish inbreds, I'm working my way through the entire member list as we speak and putting everyone on my foe blocker. Taking bloody ages, wish there was an easier solution.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,370
    seanoconn wrote:
    It got f*cking deleted.

Don't worry, i've had enough of you churlish inbreds, I'm working my way through the entire member list as we speak and putting everyone on my foe blocker. Taking bloody ages, wish there was an easier solution.

Easy solution - just ban yourself and have a little holiday in Portugal whilst yer at it :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Surely Commuting running its course is oxymoronic?
  • daviesee
    Easy solution - just ban yourself and have a little holiday in Portugal whilst yer at it :wink:
    I did that. Well, Mallorca but similar enough.
    Very cathartic and enjoyable it was too. I can recommend.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn wrote:
    It got f*cking deleted.

Good thinking. Mr T says I'm not welcome but Mrs T might be more susceptible to my charms. Butter her up (Last Tango stylie)
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    It got f*cking deleted.

Good thinking. Mr T says I'm not welcome but Mrs T might be more susceptible to my charms. Butter her up (Last Tango stylie)

Is she ok with butter or is she vegan?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,569
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I'm pretty 'cosmopolitan' myself when it comes to where I post . A lot of BB regulars have been trying to get out and about into other forums, so logically all we need now to make this place better is for more people over in CC to come over and join in the light hearted banter and smut, in the keeping with the 'tone' of the Bottom Bracket :wink::mrgreen:

Leave aside the wink and the smile for a second. Is that (CC regulars coming over here) really what you want?

As Rolf has pointed out, BB and CC have regulars and occasionals. I'd say the regulars in both give the respective forums their tone, and there's no denying they have different tones.

If you have the CC regulars coming over to BB, you'll lose the BB tone - they won't be interested in the BB tone, otherwise they'd already be here. Just as conversely the BB regulars settling in CC will change the CC tone, because they won't be interested in it, otherwise they'd already be there. On that note, several other forums have tones that are either too straightlaced (most of them) or too hardcore (Pro Race springs to mind - turn up there without having done your homework and you'll know about it).

What I suspect BB really wants/needs is like minded new blood full stop. My simplistic read of this place is that there is a relatively small nucleus or regulars, and eventually the banter between them becomes a bit repetitive, they get bored, and start to look to have some fun elsewhere (if there's a different theory as to why BB regulars have been getting out and about, I'm all ears). The friction - at least as I see it - arises when that "fun" is a simple transplant of BB regulars and accompanying BB banter into a different environment. It doesn't really work.

Anyway, this isn't intended to kick off another round of fighting. It's a semi-serious observation on where things stand.
    I come here because it's fun - not been here long so I suppose I am 'new blood'. It's a good place to have a laugh and prat around, let off a bit of steam etc. You can't really say that about anywhere else on here apart from the Crudcatcher :wink:

I don't really mind who posts in here - BB really is quite welcoming, people just need to be OK with getting the p1ss ripped out of them or being on the receiving end of a spot of troll hunting. There were a few BB'ers over in the Crudcatcher recently and that's exactly what happened - all good fun and then life went on :)

Like a lot of the regulars here I'm pretty easy going - apart from when people try to cause the removal of threads or forums that I enjoy. Not arguing, just letting you know where I'm coming from.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]