Has Commuting Chat run its course?

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,196
edited October 2013 in The bottom bracket
I really hope not.

Well it does get dull in here when the petri dish breeding ground play pen of snail fodder bacterium start insulting each other and end up fishing in other parts of the forum. So it would be a shame if the fixie crew were told to bugger off to www.PCmonksandnuns.com.

However, I resent being dragged into the 21st century by the (UI) underpant ironers and for T47b thats two centuries of evolution to go through in a very short space of time which is quite frankly, cruel and unrealistic.

I can only apologise, its all my fault. If you ever feel trapped iin here, staring at your own and each others anusii (plural?) ts because of me:
The Leader of the Helmets has offered a truce.
I personally, am quite happy to concede and I am sure other BB'ers and Cake Stoppers, Crudcatchers etc are too - We won't bother with them as long as they don't bother with us.

A perfectly acceptable compromise. See if you can herd your cats accordingly.

Normal service will resume, it seems.

We have been promoted from bacterium to 'Cats' !!

So I am the 'Leader of the Helmets' - if that is so, you're all f*cked the lot of you.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• You are going to get some Brut 33 splash on squirted down yer japper if you start butting out heads with your helmet. :D
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    It will not only survive but go from strength to strength..
    Feel my sincerity
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    I really hope not.

Well it does get dull in here when the petri dish breeding ground play pen of snail fodder bacterium start insulting each other and end up fishing in other parts of the forum. So it would be a shame if the fixie crew were told to bugger off to http://www.PCmonksandnuns.com.

However, I resent being dragged into the 21st century by the (UI) underpant ironers and for T47b thats two centuries of evolution to go through in a very short space of time which is quite frankly, cruel and unrealistic.

I can only apologise, its all my fault. If you ever feel trapped iin here, staring at your own and each others anusii (plural?) ts because of me:
    I personally, am quite happy to concede and I am sure other BB'ers and Cake Stoppers, Crudcatchers etc are too - We won't bother with them as long as they don't bother with us.

So I am the 'Leader of the Helmets' - if that is so, you're all f*cked the lot of you.
    So you pick out the two quotes that name you as leader! :roll:

FFS! So transparent :roll:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    seanoconn wrote:
    I really hope not.

Well it does get dull in here when the petri dish breeding ground play pen of snail fodder bacterium start insulting each other and end up fishing in other parts of the forum. So it would be a shame if the fixie crew were told to bugger off to http://www.PCmonksandnuns.com.

So you pick out the two quotes that name you as leader! :roll:

FFS! So transparent :roll:

Well in light of the recent poll, I think Pina could well be around for a good time yet :roll:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • pinno
    Be honest my veeted testicled, lycra clad loonies. The orginal fishing idea was perfected by the combination of my genius and T47b's inspiration. Without which, there would have been no fireworks with the ladies on fixies and not nearly as much fun. I think that T47b and we should be the BB equivalent of Ludendorf and Hindenberg or Abercrombie and Fitch or Mountbatten and Alexander the Great.
    You two - STC and A77 shall be Igglepiggle and Ups-I-Daisy.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    I watched 'Animal House' last night. Plot summary:
    "Faber College has one frat house called Delta House so disreputable it will take anyone. It has a second one called Omega House full of white, anglo-saxon, rich young men who are so sanctimonious no one can stand them except Dean Wormer. The dean enlists the help of the second frat to get the boys of Delta House off campus."

Maybe we should rename BB to 'Delta house'?

And purely coincidentally the Omegas are led by a bloke called Greg.... :mrgreen:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    There's a forum especially for people that ride a bike to work, whatever next? :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    team47b wrote:
    There's a forum especially for people that ride a bike to work, whatever next? :roll:

:D:D:D

Your on form H. Must have been that long rest you had when the battle was raging.
  • team47b
    battle? I heard it was a massacre :wink:
  • seanoconn
    team47b wrote:
    Custard's last stand
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    team47b wrote:
    Too be fair, they were outnumbered. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • team47b
    good job I was busy then :roll:
  • arran77
    We could have done with the extra support, it was a close run thing :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    The only reason I go to commuter chat nowadays is to see what you guys have been up to - without you it's readership will fall so badly they will just close it due to lack of interest.
  • daviesee
    jonomc4 wrote:
    The only reason I go to commuter chat nowadays is to see what you guys have been up to - without you it's readership will fall so badly they will just close it due to lack of interest.
    Its a service we provide. :wink:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    daviesee wrote:
    jonomc4 wrote:
    Its a service we provide. :wink:

He's just trying to butter us up. (Don't think Last Tango) :shock:
  • arran77
    jonomc4 wrote:

We just go there to hang out with the guys :lol:

seanoconn
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I watched 'Animal House' last night. Plot summary:
    "Faber College has one frat house called Delta House so disreputable it will take anyone. It has a second one called Omega House full of white, anglo-saxon, rich young men who are so sanctimonious no one can stand them except Dean Wormer. The dean enlists the help of the second frat to get the boys of Delta House off campus."

Maybe we should rename BB to 'Delta house'?

And purely coincidentally the Omegas are led by a bloke called Greg.... :mrgreen:

toga! toga!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Good grief, I haven't such behaviour since I was in Primary school (and I'm 50 now) when we go and throw stones, over the wall, at the Catholics and they would come and throw stones at the Proddies.
  • daviesee
    Navrig wrote:
    Good grief, I haven't such behaviour since I was in Primary school (and I'm 50 now) when we go and throw stones, over the wall, at the Catholics and they would come and throw stones at the Proddies.
    That school antagonism will end around the same time DDD accepts BB.
  • arran77
    daviesee wrote:
    Navrig wrote:
    That school antagonism will end around the same time DDD accepts BB.

That will be a long time coming I suspect daviesee!!

seanoconn
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    jonomc4 wrote:

There's plenty of posting going on in Commuter Chat without the need for any BB contribution :wink:
    CC is a mix of people who post anywhere they like in the forums and people who only post in CC - just like BB is a mixture of folk who post everywhere and only in BB. Maybe that is the difference between the narrow minded and the broadminded. Neither forum has the monopoly. The only really difference is that, for better or for worse, CC has DDD (and DDD does not represent the opinions of the majority of CC) - and just remember, before you condemn CC for that, one day BB might have a DDD of it's own..............
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daviesee
    Rolf F wrote:
    and just remember, before you condemn CC for that, one day BB might have a DDD of it's own..............
    Noooooooooooooo! :shock:
  • arran77
    Rolf F wrote:
    jonomc4 wrote:

There's plenty of posting going on in Commuter Chat without the need for any BB contribution :wink:
    CC is a mix of people who post anywhere they like in the forums and people who only post in CC - just like BB is a mixture of folk who post everywhere and only in BB. Maybe that is the difference between the narrow minded and the broadminded. Neither forum has the monopoly. The only really difference is that, for better or for worse, CC has DDD (and DDD does not represent the opinions of the majority of CC) - and just remember, before you condemn CC for that, one day BB might have a DDD of it's own..............

What is it with the continual stereotyping of people who post in one and people who post in the other, I don't get it :roll:

seanoconn
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    arran77 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    jonomc4 wrote:

What is it with the continual stereotyping of people who post in one and people who post in the other, I don't get it :roll:

It's pretty simple.

Definition - nar·row-mind·ed (nr-mndd)
    adj.
    Lacking tolerance, breadth of view, or sympathy; petty

If you hang around in one forum only, chatting only to a little clique, then I think you'd have a hard time trying to claim that, in terms of the forum, you have a wide breadth of view.

It's not a case of stereotyping - simply application of a definition. It's like it isn't (necessarily) an insult to call someone an idiot if they are an idiot whether the person you are calling an idiot thinks so or not.

Fact - the forum works better if people feel comfortable posting in different parts of it. The more people that post across the forums, the more more people will feel happy to join them and the more interesting the threads become.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • seanoconn
    Rolf F wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    jonomc4 wrote:

It's pretty simple.

adj.

If you hang around in one forum only, chatting only to a little clique, then I think you'd have a hard time trying to claim that, in terms of the forum, you have a wide breadth of view.

It's not a case of stereotyping - simply application of a definition. It's like it isn't (necessarily) an insult to call someone an idiot if they are an idiot whether the person you are calling an idiot thinks so or not.

Fact - the forum works better if people feel comfortable posting in different parts of it. The more people that post across the forums, the more more people will feel happy to join them and the more interesting the threads become.
    Good post Rolf.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I read that as staying in only one forum, whichever one that may be, is the narrow minded bit. Venturing elsewhere tends to be more broadminded.
    A bit like the difference between Americans that have never left their own state, let alone the country and those that have travelled and realise there is a big wide world out here.
  • daviesee
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I read that as staying in only one forum, whichever one that may be, is the narrow minded bit. Venturing elsewhere tends to be more broadminded.
    A bit like the difference between Americans that have never left their own state, let alone the country and those that have travelled and realise there is a big wide world out here.
    Excellent analogy! :P
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    Rolf F wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    jonomc4 wrote:

It's pretty simple.

adj.

I like that :)

I'm pretty 'cosmopolitan' myself when it comes to where I post so can see your point. A lot of BB regulars have been trying to get out and about into other forums, so logically all we need now to make this place better is for more people over in CC to come over and join in the light hearted banter and smut, in the keeping with the 'tone' of the Bottom Bracket :wink::mrgreen:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    I'm pretty 'cosmopolitan' myself when it comes to where I post . A lot of BB regulars have been trying to get out and about into other forums, so logically all we need now to make this place better is for more people over in CC to come over and join in the light hearted banter and smut, in the keeping with the 'tone' of the Bottom Bracket :wink::mrgreen:

Leave aside the wink and the smile for a second. Is that (CC regulars coming over here) really what you want?

As Rolf has pointed out, BB and CC have regulars and occasionals. I'd say the regulars in both give the respective forums their tone, and there's no denying they have different tones.

If you have the CC regulars coming over to BB, you'll lose the BB tone - they won't be interested in the BB tone, otherwise they'd already be here. Just as conversely the BB regulars settling in CC will change the CC tone, because they won't be interested in it, otherwise they'd already be there. On that note, several other forums have tones that are either too straightlaced (most of them) or too hardcore (Pro Race springs to mind - turn up there without having done your homework and you'll know about it).

What I suspect BB really wants/needs is like minded new blood full stop. My simplistic read of this place is that there is a relatively small nucleus or regulars, and eventually the banter between them becomes a bit repetitive, they get bored, and start to look to have some fun elsewhere (if there's a different theory as to why BB regulars have been getting out and about, I'm all ears). The friction - at least as I see it - arises when that "fun" is a simple transplant of BB regulars and accompanying BB banter into a different environment. It doesn't really work.

Anyway, this isn't intended to kick off another round of fighting. It's a semi-serious observation on where things stand.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A