Friday Debate

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
Remember when we had these?

Used to be a great way to while away the time until finishing for the weekend. :P

I will try and get this started with:-

Amanda Hutton - The worst murderer ever?

Sure, there have been more victims and there have been more brutal, but how could a mother be so callous as to watch her son starve to death? And then look at the body for 2 years. :shock:

As they say, discuss.
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Bit grim for a Friday debate, no?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rjsterry wrote:

Yeah, I think everyone would feel more comfortable with something along the lines of "Custard Creams or Bourbon biscuits"?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Yeah - my thoughts too - bit bleak!

Also suspect you're not going to get many takers for the other side of the argument ("well, you say that, but sometimes starvation is the only way to get results").

Not wishing to derail or anything (as if - but if this gets to 10 pages Sharktopus is coming out to play), but how about: Is it time to regulate the excesses of the tabloid press (Moribund v the Daily Fail etc)?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Rolf F wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Yeah, I think everyone would feel more comfortable with something along the lines of "Custard Creams or Bourbon biscuits"?

Bourbons. No contest. Are you fecking mental or summint?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399

Also suspect you're not going to get many takers for the other side of the argument ("well, you say that, but sometimes starvation is the only way to get results").

Surely that isn't the other side of the argument, it would be that another murder would have been more brutal such as the Holly and Jessica murders.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Rolf F wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Bourbons. No contest. Are you ******* mental or summint?

It's far more important to know whether you split apart the said creams or bourbons and lick the inside or chew 'em whole.

I deliberately avoided having the word "swallow" in that sentence 'cos you lot would be all over it like a horny chihuahua on your trouser leg.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Don't think I can argue against the fact that it was very callous, it certainly was.

As for looking the body for two years maybe this is explained when you look at people who carry out horrifically brutal murders and then take some part of the body with them, in their mind it probably justifies what happened,

Maybe it's something similar here?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Who cares? They're all biscuits and should be wolfed down with abandon! Why waste time splitting your biscuits (that HAS to be a euphemism for something)?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Trying too hard.

Too bleak.

Custard Creams.

What the Daily Fail did to Miliband was awful.

/Thread.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Custard creams in my opinion.

I like to dunk them in tea til the biscuit is soft, then suck the biscuit off until there is only the inside, then eat the inside.

Lovely.
  • It's far more important to know whether you split apart the said creams or bourbons and lick the inside or chew 'em whole.

I deliberately avoided having the word "swallow" in that sentence 'cos you lot would be all over it like a horny chihuahua on your trouser leg.

Amateur.

You take two Bourbons. Split them both. Discard the manky biscuit only pieces. Press the two cream faces together. Omm nom nom.

Or just buy double stuffed Oreos and save yourself the wasted calories it takes to assemble the double stuffed Bourbon.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Worst murderer ever? I doubt it, but it's very difficult to judge that sort of thing because I don't think what's going on in the head of a murderer can be judged by normal standards. To have got to that point something must be wrong with the internal wiring. Utterly appalling without a shadow of a doubt.
    Milliband and the Fail. Yes, that's wrong without a shadow of doubt. Discovering the Fail is a rather vile piece of work with low standards and using dirty tactics is hardly a surprise. Is it really awful? Not compared to killing a child. I know you're not comparing the two, I don't think that for a minute. But I think words like awful, tragedy, disaster and their like are overused thus diluting the meaning.
    Bourbons without a shadow of doubt. This is the place to look about biscuits.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    The digestive is the king of biscuits, but only when its covered in dark chocolate. All others pale into nothing before it. I know, I ate 17 of the little delights yesterday.

as for the murder, of course its callous but many would argue that alcoholism is a mental illness, so there may be mitigating circumstance. Just my thought.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Milliband and the Fail. Yes, that's wrong without a shadow of doubt.

Yes. But what would you do about it (if anything)? Press regulation? My own view is that the Fail did this in order to flush out Moribund's position on press regulation; possibly to push him to come down in favour of it.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    I have written to McVities requesting a dark chocolate hobnob - ginger nut hybrid but had no response. Now that would be the king of biscuits.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • rolf_f
    Or just buy double stuffed Oreos and save yourself the wasted calories it takes to assemble the double stuffed Bourbon.

Oreos? Are you on crack? Vilest chocolate product ever. "American" and "chocolate" should never appear in the same sentence (same applies for "American" and "cheese").

Anyway, to add an element of anarchy - what about those things that look like bourbons but have a white cream filling? I'm not sure if they are great or the work of the devil.
  • Rolf F wrote:

Oreos? Are you on crack? Vilest chocolate product ever. "American" and "chocolate" should never appear in the same sentence (same applies for "American" and "cheese").

Not crack, Oreos. You don't eat Oreos because of the flavour. You eat them because of some highly addictive flavouring that's in them.
    Rolf F wrote:
    Anyway, to add an element of anarchy - what about those things that look like bourbons but have a white cream filling? I'm not sure if they are great or the work of the devil.

Oh yeah - I know the ones, round biscuits, aren't they? Made in America, I think.

Ore-...

Oh, wait.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Milliband and the Fail. Yes, that's wrong without a shadow of doubt.

Yes. But what would you do about it (if anything)? Press regulation? My own view is that the Fail did this in order to flush out Moribund's position on press regulation; possibly to push him to come down in favour of it.
    Now that's a very tricky one. He contacted the owners himself as he said there was no point in going to the regulators. So you'd think he's in favour of stronger regulation. But, a free press is vitally important, but they should be relied upon to uphold certain standards.
    I certainly don't know what the answer is. I'm certainly not a fan of the popular press. sensationalism and celebrity culture seems to be all they are interested in as that seems to be what sells. They don't seem to care about news, all rather sad.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Veronese68 wrote:
    <snip>
    I certainly don't know what the answer is. I'm certainly not a fan of the popular press. sensationalism and celebrity culture seems to be all they are interested in as that seems to be what sells. They don't seem to care about news, all rather sad.

I've been quoted several times in the past saying that there are very few journalists left; the press is made up of 'reporters' who simply regurgitate the Reuters / whatever feed.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • arran77
    This place ain't so different from BB is it!!

A discussion on murder turns into a debate on biscuits :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:

The penny drops!

It's not overtly sexualised. That's the main difference.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Kieran_Burns
    arran77 wrote:

The penny drops!

More crumbs though

Mind you the
    then suck the biscuit off until there is only the inside, then eat the inside.
    could've gone either way :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • daviesee
    Fair enough. I was just going for topical.

Playing along - custard creams.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited October 2013
    See if you can find a youtube clip if the graham norton show, with dannii minogue and a penguin biscuit.

ETA: Natalie Imbruglia, not Dannii.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • daviesee

• arran77
    arran77 wrote:

The penny drops!

But is it going to drop for you :wink:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    daviesee wrote:

I knew you were a wrong un.

I haven't put a winking smiley thing as I would hope it's obvious to all I'm only joking.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Veronese68 wrote:
    [...]He contacted the owners himself as he said there was no point in going to the regulators[...]
    Worked for an old colleague of mine; DM wrote something mean about him in the gossip pages, so his wife rang her friend, who was the then-owner's son. Call was made to the editor; no more mention of the chap.

Oh, choc. Bath Olivers FTW!
  • More to the point to dunk or not to dunk?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

Oh yeah - I know the ones, round biscuits, aren't they? Made in America, I think.

Ore-...

Oh, wait.

The things that look like Bourbons but aren't are brown and rectangular, like Bourbons. If they were round, they wouldn't look like Bourbons. Also, if they tasted like Oreos, the question as to whether or not they were the work of the devil wouldn't need to be asked as it would be obvious that they were!