The sufferfest questions

mosa
mosa Posts: 754
Hello all I am returning to cycling after probably our best year for weather etc. Anyway. I've just bought a trainer and was looking at the sufferfest website. I have a few questions that I should know but forgot or not sure. Answers to these would be greatly appreciated
1, mainly looking for weight loss but to get me back and fit. Will these DVDs do me any good
2, is there a specific title I need to start with then progress?
3, I haven't as yet got anything to record my cadence etc so al I waisting my time, money & effort
4. If I use a metal skewer and use a carbon bike on trainer most of the time could I damage the bike in any way. I prefer to buy a cheap alloy bike but funds don't allow at present
5 lastly do I turbo train every day or hit one miss one (I do intent to get out on roads etc at weekends also)

Cheers for any replies in advance
My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    1. Yes
    2. Angels
    3. No
    4. Highly unlikely
    5. Depends on the legs
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • mosa
    mosa Posts: 754
    Thanks for a right to the point answer! I was expecting all sorts!
    My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    Angels is good, so is The Hunted.

For something longer, try It seemed like a good idea at the time.

The others seem to be more focused on top end power (IMO).
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    I'm going to sign up to trainerroad today and was planning on trying Sufferfest next week. I was going to start with downward spiral. Is this likely to kill me? I did find the rollers hard work the other night (now invested in a decent fan thou).

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    Nope, as you can do them as hard as you want. The sufferfests do a lot of work at or above threshold power, so can be really difficult, especially when used with TrainerRoad and you try to stick to the power goals.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Angles, HHNF and Blender are gd to start with, the latest 2hr one is fantastic.
    do 2 or 3 aweek, depends on whay u do at w/ends.

Cadence is personal really but you can quickly get a feel for 60rpm and then work it out from there.
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    I think this is an interesting question. I use Sufferfest with TrainerRoad, which means you can see what the profile of the workout looks like (you can actually ride them without having the video). I like my workouts to have a structured, interval style, typically an hour long, so I looked for the Sufferfests which looked like that. As such, I tend to use -
    A Very Dark Place
    Fight Club (described as "messy" but it isn't at all)
    Angels

Blender looks a good one on that basis if you want a longer one. I haven't done it but it looks tough! They're all based on perceived effort though, so how tough they are depends on your own honesty! (Unless as I say, you link them to TrainerRoad).

Cheers,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!