Commuting tips

2»

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    arran77 wrote:
    Brilliant, thanks, the showering and light issues seem to be resolved now.

Next, food.

I like my breakfasts but I guess a nice bit of bacon and eggs is not advisable before a commute?

I can't stand those breakfast bar things, I'd rather eat my lounge slippers, what's the alternatives?

What about for the ride home, a wee afternoon snack maybe? Again what though, are nuts good?
    I tend not to eat anything before my commute, I take a packed beakfast box - oats, yoghurt, nuts and fruit - with me. Or sometimes I have toast in the office when I arrive. If I'm doing a longish ride at the weekend (at least 40 miles) I have a couple of slices of toast before heading out but take energy bars or fruit or energy drink with me...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    One last tip :-) - If you have any RainX in the garage (http://www.rainx.co.uk/) a little on your cycling glasses realy helps in the dark rainy evenings. Rain just slides off, so you get less obscurity of vision.

Works for me in the Pennines anyway :-)
    The only thing to watch with products like this how they react with anti reflect and non scratch coatings that glasses, particularly prescription glasses, have... You may find that it wipes them off...
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Does fairy liquid work just as well or is Rain-X that much better?
  • Headhuunter
    Yossie wrote:

Personally I just wear a cap under my helmet and when it rains I flip the peak down, keeps most of the rain off my glasses....
  • Baby Wipes = instant Shower.
    clear glasses are a winner
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uvex-Ugl412-Fla ... 0FLE7PE5CK
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    One last tip :-) - If you have any RainX in the garage (http://www.rainx.co.uk/) a little on your cycling glasses realy helps in the dark rainy evenings. Rain just slides off, so you get less obscurity of vision.

Works for me in the Pennines anyway :-)
    The only thing to watch with products like this how they react with anti reflect and non scratch coatings that glasses, particularly prescription glasses, have... You may find that it wipes them off...

Is that stuff not meant for motorcycle helmet visors?

Surely it can't be that bad?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Only thing I find with clear glasses or any other sort of glasses is that they steam up easily when you slow down ... so bust a gut to get to the junction, ease up so you can check the path is clear and the glasses steam up so you can't see ... helpful!
  • Yossie wrote:

I find rainx better, as it's not a cleaner, it's like a teflon coating for the lens.

The faster you pedal the better the rain runs off.

Up here, in the Pennines, driving rain is quite an issue, so the peaked cap trick works, just not in all rainy conditions :o!
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Only thing I find with clear glasses or any other sort of glasses is that they steam up easily when you slow down ... so bust a gut to get to the junction, ease up so you can check the path is clear and the glasses steam up so you can't see ... helpful!

Again for this I use the other RainX product (anti fog I think it's called) on the inside of the lens. bit of a faff doing all this, but it does stop this.

Note to self, must go and buy shares in RainX!!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    anthdci wrote:
    Yossie wrote:
    As an aside, would anyone recommend a helmet cam? Loads of commuters seem to use them - is this so that they can plan routes, etc?

this is so if there is ever an accident they have evidence of what happened. I suppose it maybe helpful in the busy areas like London, but for my commute into Newcastle it would be a waste of money.
    I think the majority are simply used by knobheads to post videos on youtube about how life on two wheel is so terrible. :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Calotherm for the inside and RainX for the outside. Works brilliantly.

The trick with calotherm is to NOT wipe it off. Spray / wipe it on and leave it to dry. (this is the experience of decades of Paintballing... the only thing that worked better was double-glazed lenses and a fan in the goggles)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    Mr Sheen on the outside of a motorbike visor works wonders for dispersing rain, would probably work just as well on a pair of clear plastic glasses./
  • slowbike
    hmm - got some rainx already - mixed results ... followed what it suggested, but still couldn't really see ..
    on the couple of points where I have to slow (actually, it's 3) I'll just drop the glasses to the end of my nose and peer over the top ... till I speed up again :)

Another commuting tip - following today's little non-incident - try and keep your cool when (and it's when not if) other road users carve you up. Don't rant and rave, it'll spoil your ride. Oh and just assume everyone else on the road is a blummin idiot ... occasionally you'll be pleasantly surprised ... ;)
  • arran77
    Apologies for yet more questions that some may think stupid / pointless or whatever but here we go anyway!!

We've established that there are no showers at my work, not a problem, baby wipes or the like it is, but with no showers next comes the hair problem (not that I'm vain :wink: ), to avoid looking like this (not me by the way!!)

v69d.jpg

Would wearing one of those buff things or a helmet beanie stop this thatch faux pas?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • slowbike
    That or a No3 on the clippers ... :)
  • arran77
    Slowbike wrote:
    That or a No3 on the clippers ... :)

A shaved head, now that would really play into the stereotype that some people have of Bottom Bracket members!!

:P

seanoconn
  • katiebob
    katiebob Posts: 208
    Yossie wrote:

Do you know as well if I can claim back on my road fund licence if I commute and not use the car/moto - sickle?

I wish!! :D
  • arran77
    Katiebob wrote:
    Yossie wrote:

Do you know as well if I can claim back on my road fund licence if I commute and not use the car/moto - sickle?

If you were able to tax your car for a month at a time you'd probably find loads of people would do this :)

seanoconn
  • samtope
    samtope Posts: 18
    arran77 wrote:
    Katiebob wrote:
    Yossie wrote:

If you were able to tax your car for a month at a time you'd probably find loads of people would do this :)

That is a genius idea - I will certainly vote for the candidate that puts that forward!

I think commuting by bike is all about your frame of mind and getting organised. If you can get a locker at work, thats ideal. I leave my work clothes etc in mine and bring home items a couple of times a week for washing in my ruck sack. I find that a proper cycling top actually wicks away most of the sweat so when the top comes off, the sweat comes off with it. baby wipes would definately finish the job. I'm just a stinking trucker anyway, so no-one expects me to wash much.. clean pair of boxers and I'm good to go. As someone said before, it is actually possible to arrive at work not looking and smelling like you just won the tour de france, I find that just wearing less than you thought you would need works well, you always get hotter than you thought you would. Keep a smart well maintained bike, where I work there are some real wrecks, chains that have never seen a drop of oil etc, they dont even bother to lock them. Riding them must be hard depressing work, you need it to be easy and enjoyable, and psycologically it helps if people aren't looking down their noses at the poor kid who only rides because he can't afford a car. Be prepared for the 'go to' inevitable question from amazed fat people that a person might actually choose to ride a bike to work... "what if it rains?!" When I hear this lazy pointless question it really irritates me! I guess I'll just... ride in the rain? My main hurdle when I began my 7.5 mile commute in June, was the dark nights (2:30 am start) but bike lights have come a long way now, and the steep hills en route. Since then I have covered over a 1000 miles. Get decent road tyres, decent lights, a locker, wicking tops and just make it habit!
  • iandon
    iandon Posts: 6
    edited October 2013
    Here are my tips for my commute. I do 4500 mile going to work a year. The main aim is to get there and back a fast and as safely as possible. Get on the pavement if traffic is getting out of hand, but slow right down if pedestrians are about. Be Seen. Never undertake lorries that are moving or at junctions dont undertake any other vehicle unless you can do it safely. If you do, watch out for the passenger door flying open as someone is being dropped off. Or even worse when they don't indicate to turn left and try to knock you off. Take no notice of motorists beeping, they are just very annoyed that you are making progress. Do not tell anyone how badly they are driving. They cant handle it and it causes road rage! Stay safe. If any one cuts you up just smile. "No Seriously". If you are commuting at a similar times then the chances are the same drivers are around you. Make friends with them and nod your head. Get eye contact, you are a human being not an obstruction. Always look over your shoulder before making and move. Give motorist time to react to your arm signals. Once you are sure that they are on your side make your move. Be courteous asap, and pull over to the left hand side to allow them to proceed. Again get eye contact with the vehicles around you in moving traffic, make sure they are aware that you exist.

Kit: Gatorskin tyres, full mudguards, two x front and rear lights, just in case one packs up. Disc brakes are very reliable even in the wet. Full finger gloves for temp 12 degrees and under. Thinsulate Gloves for 5 degrees and under. Fluorescent tops for both wet and dry conditions. Clear glasses. Helmet , neck warmer, bandana for keeping head warm and stop sweat running in eyes. Layer up with base, mid and fleeces, up to 7 layers in really cold minus 3 degree conditions. Leggins from 7 degree downwards. Clip on reflective spoke thingys for being seen on roundabouts". Rucksack in preference to Panniers so you can jump onto pavement or get out of the way quickly. Co2 tyre inflator and back up refills and real pump. Spare inner tube, puncture repair kit, nut bolts bits of chain. set of allen keys, Reading glasses for close up repairs. Charged up Mobile phone. Bottle of water. "Be seen!"

enjoy your new body .. you look awesome!
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    iandon wrote:
    Here are my tips for my commute. I do 4500 mile going to work a year. The main aim is to get there and back a fast and as safely as possible. Get on the pavement if traffic is getting out of hand, but slow right down if pedestrians are about. Be Seen. Never undertake lorries that are moving or at junctions dont undertake any other vehicle unless you can do it safely. If you do, watch out for the passenger door flying open as someone is being dropped off. Or even worse when they don't indicate to turn left and try to knock you off. Take no notice of motorists beeping, they are just very annoyed that you are making progress. Do not tell anyone how badly they are driving. They cant handle it and it causes road rage! Stay safe. If any one cuts you up just smile. "No Seriously". If you are commuting at a similar times then the chances are the same drivers are around you. Make friends with them and nod your head. Get eye contact, you are a human being not an obstruction. Always look over your shoulder before making and move. Give motorist time to react to your arm signals. Once you are sure that they are on your side make your move. Be courteous asap to them and pull over to the left hand side to allow then to proceed. Again get eye contact with the vehicles around you in moving traffic, make sure they are aware that you exist.

Kit: Gatorskin tyres, full mudguards, two x front and rear lights, just in case one packs up. Disc brakes are very reliable even in the wet. Full finger gloves for temp 12 degrees and under. Thinsulate Gloves for 5 degrees and under. Fluorescent tops for both wet and dry conditions. Clear glasses. Helmet , neck warmer, bandana for keeping head warm and stop sweat running in eyes. Layer up with base, mid and fleeces, up to 7 layers in really cold minus 3 degree conditions. Leggins from 7 degree downwards. Clip on reflective spoke thingys for being seen on roundabouts". Co2 tyre inflator and back up refills and real pump. Spare inner tube, puncture repair kit, nut bolts bits of chain. set of allen keys, Reading glasses for close up repairs. Charged up Mobile phone. Bottle of water. "Be seen!"

enjoy your new body .. you look awesome!

Sounds great - thank you very much for the advice - seems to have covered all salient points.

What dio you find best - knapsack, rack, panniers? Waterproofing - placcy bags, canoe bags?
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 70
    Yossie wrote:
    What dio you find best - knapsack, rack, panniers? Waterproofing - placcy bags, canoe bags?
    I think this is a personal preference thing. I would not want a back pack so it has to be a pannier rack. I have a rack bag with a rain cover, and a dry bag to keep important things like wallet and mobile phone. This is just about big enough for my needs. It is tempting to get a pair of smallish panniers.
  • B5NGV
    B5NGV Posts: 28
    I completed my first ride into work this morning and wish I had read this thread before hand. I realised this morning that I need better lights. Looking forward to the 19 mile ride home this evening.
  • tilt
    tilt Posts: 214
    I recently moved from a backpack (Alpkit Gourdon 25) to a rack and pair of panniers (Altura Dryline 32s) and it's made a vast difference to my commute. So much easier and more comfortable, no way I'd go back to a rucksack now!