Commuting tips

Yossie
Yossie Posts: 2,600
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
Hello

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for commuting in the winter - perhaps post this up as sticky for newbies?

Comments

• anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    Basic Requirements:
    Mudguards, absolute requirement for keeping dry and not covered in road crap.
    Lights - at least 2 front and 2 rear so backup incase failure, front brightness depends if your on unlit roads
    Waterproofs - coat, overpants, gloves and overshoes - wear as weather permits
    Glasses, interchangeable lenses, sun glasses for summer, orange or dull/overcast, clear for night.
    Tyres, puncture protection more important than speed. Gatorskins, marathon plus, that kind of thing, you don't want to be changing a tube in the cost wind and rain.
  • Yossie
    Panniers/rack/knapsack?

Locks?

Any ideas re route planning?
  • anthdci
    Yossie wrote:
    Panniers/rack/knapsack?
    doesn't matter as long as it is waterproof so your work stuff doesn't get wet, or get a waterproof cover.
    Yossie wrote:
    Locks?
    leave it at work regardless of weather, pointless carrying them backwards and forwards
    Yossie wrote:
    Any ideas re route planning?

depends on your route but mine is the same regardless of weather. Most direct and 100% on the road.
  • Yossie
    Towels? Left at work or taken home each day? If no shower facilities?

Apols for such appalling questions, but all new to this.

Bells/horns/voice?
  • anthdci
    Yossie wrote:
    Towels? Left at work or taken home each day? If no shower facilities?

I use a towel twice before returning it home to be washed. No experience with no shower facilities but I doubt I would do more than 10miles without a shower at the end.
    Yossie wrote:
    Bells/horns/voice?

I think bells are better and more polite for alerting pedestrians to your presence. For me it is 100% road so there aren't any.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I'm glad this subject came up, I too was thinking of commuting some of the time because the price of diesel is just so unreasonable these days :roll:

Anyway, I digress, the problem I have is no showers at work, what should I do, 'pikey shower', baby wipes, what?

Also can you get lights that you can dip from full beam to normal as it were, the roads round here are awfully dark and I want to see where I'm going!
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • anthdci
    arran77 wrote:
    Also can you get lights that you can dip from full beam to normal as it were, the roads round here are awfully dark and I want to see where I'm going!

if they are fitted to your handle bars just twist it down slightly effectively giving your a dipped beam, or switch it between flashing and always on.

Sorry I cant help with the lack of showers, but when it is cold I often found the I didn't sweat over my 13miles.
  • arran77
    anthdci wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

if they are fitted to your handle bars just twist it down slightly effectively giving your a dipped beam, or switch it between flashing and always on.

Sorry I cant help with the lack of showers, but when it is cold I often found the I didn't sweat over my 13miles.

Does flashing not pee car drivers off?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    arran77 wrote:
    Does flashing not pee car drivers off?
    You should keep it in your trousers otherwise it becomes a legal issue. Mind you, I find it's not as obvious in the winter.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    No shower at work - just stripwash in the gents - fortunately for me it's a single cubicle so completely private.
    Towel and clothes get taken in when convenient and left at work.
    Bike is in the office.
    I've started using a rack bag rather than backpack - it's waterproof, but only needs my lunch in it.
    Don't forget to put your phone in something waterproof if it's raining.

I have hangers at work to hang my kit up to air/dry it.
    If it's really wet then a spare pair of gloves as they seem to take a long time to dry.

Second the 2 lights front and back - although I'll go 3 lights back when it's dark.
    Depending on where your commute is depends on the requirement for lighting the front - flashing is good for getting drivers attention, a constant on is good for seeing where you're going, higher power constant is only really needed for dark, unlit roads.

Mudguards are handy - especially on the front.
    Overshoes are useful when the roads are wet and when it's cold, not just when it's raining.
    Tyres to suit the conditions - slicks are ok when it's dry, but something more substantial will help when it's wet and the rubbish gets washed into the road.

Assume you're not going to go as fast overall.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Do what do you do in the summer but wear more layers as it gets colder, and use neoprene overshoes on cold or wet days. Replace mitts with gloves as cold fingers are bad.

Fit guards if you want but I never have; it doesn't rain that often and if does you'll have your layers & waterproofs on. Increase your maintenance routine though guards or not as water does get everywhere so your chain will need more attention in wet weather.

Keep clothes, washing stuff & deodorants at work if poss to avoid carrying stuff - this applies all year round tbh, so does showering; if there's no shower a strip wash in the disabled loo is just as effective, and probably quicker.

The more lights & reflectives the better. Cycling in the dark is the exception to the less is more rule. Light yourself like a tart's Christmas tree, including reflective ankle bands with flashing LEDs, reflective arm bands for signalling R & L and a reflective sash over your shoulders & round the waist. You can't be too visible. Use a head light, either on a strap round your skull or fixed to your helmet if you wear one so that you attract attention by its movement.

If you do carry a rucksack fit another light to that, and check and check again that your ruck sack or your luminous yellow coat isn't hanging lower than you imagine and obscuring your rear light(s). You won't be at all amazed at the number of people that make that schoolboy error.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    If you've no showers it doesn't matter, just strip wash in the gents. If you can't as the sinks are shared then get yourself a flannel and speedo microfibre towel as these try really quickly and don't smell. Soak the flannel and use that in the cubical as it'll be mostly grime and sweat that needs to come off. I don't use babywipes; expensive and landfill. Some good deo and then shower in the evening. That's what I do. No complaints yet and the small towel and flannel are discrete. Of course, it's not ideal, but I think it works sufficiently well.
  • arran77
    Brilliant, thanks, the showering and light issues seem to be resolved now.

Next, food.

I like my breakfasts but I guess a nice bit of bacon and eggs is not advisable before a commute?

I can't stand those breakfast bar things, I'd rather eat my lounge slippers, what's the alternatives?

What about for the ride home, a wee afternoon snack maybe? Again what though, are nuts good?

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Sorry, can't help with the shower issue, but a really useful tip on the cold mornings is to strip out of your damp clothes and sit under one of the hot air hand dryers for a few minutes. Warms you up and makes you feel human again, ready to face the world.
  • anthdci
    I eat organic rolled oats from tesco with either chocolate or strawberry protein shake and water. Mix it up, then 3 mins in the microwave after i have had my shower at work. Taste a bit like flapjack. Normal dinner when i get home. You shouldnt need to feed before a commute, you wont be going far or long enough to run out of energy.
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    arran77 wrote:

Next, food.

I like my breakfasts but I guess a nice bit of bacon and eggs is not advisable before a commute?

I can't stand those breakfast bar things, I'd rather eat my lounge slippers, what's the alternatives?

What about for the ride home, a wee afternoon snack maybe? Again what though, are nuts good?

How far are you cycling?
  • arran77
    Phil_D wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Next, food.

How far are you cycling?

Well, the way I go by car is 25 miles, not sure I want to use that route as some of the roads are pretty hairy :shock:

Have to find another route, any tips for that :)

seanoconn
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Tips for clothing - a buff is very handy when it starts getting chillier - use it as a headscarf to stop the brain freeze, cover your ears and have a second one for around your neck/chin when it drops to below freezing. It also mops up sweat!
    I have two - a lightweight one and one with a fleece section ...
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    arran77 wrote:

Bike + map + weekend. Easy :D
  • arran77 wrote:

I have two lights* - one permanently dipped and the other main beam. If I see a car coming a turn off the main beam.

* Actually I'm upgrading my lights this year so that I have two on dipped and two on main (one switched off but there as a backup) but same idea.

The worst part of riding in the dark: if it's raining and you've got oncoming cars. The rain and headlights combined can make it difficult to see pot holes/the road/the grass verge.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • arran77
    craker wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Bike + map + weekend. Easy :D

Old school, I like it.

seanoconn
  • Yossie
    As an aside, would anyone recommend a helmet cam? Loads of commuters seem to use them - is this so that they can plan routes, etc?

Do you know as well if I can claim back on my road fund licence if I commute and not use the car/moto - sickle?

Do you have to declare this to your health insurance as well - surely its riskier to go to work by pedal cycle than by car and therefore more chance of an accident?
  • anthdci
    Yossie wrote:
    As an aside, would anyone recommend a helmet cam? Loads of commuters seem to use them - is this so that they can plan routes, etc?

this is so if there is ever an accident they have evidence of what happened. I suppose it maybe helpful in the busy areas like London, but for my commute into Newcastle it would be a waste of money.
  • arran77
    anthdci wrote:
    Yossie wrote:

this is so if there is ever an accident they have evidence of what happened. I suppose it maybe helpful in the busy areas like London, but for my commute into Newcastle it would be a waste of money.

It could be useful if pedestrians ever walk out in front of you though?

jv6a.jpg

seanoconn
  • I've only been commuting round the year for about three years and I'm lucky because we have a shower and clothes washing/drying facilities here.
    Layers are good, a merino base plus normal jersey in the cool months, plus arm/knee warmers give flexibility if it warms up later in the day (as today) plus a waterproof shell if it tips down.
    For full on Winter I move to roubaix bib longs with base layers and a windproof jacket (plus waterproof shell) and heavier shoes/boot (I use Shimano MW80's) - Buffs are very versatile, surprising how much warmer you get having one around your neck and can be used as a head/ear covering under the helmet. I use a skull cap in the depths of winter. Gloves I struggle with, given up on waterproof as not found a pair that are. Current winter gloves are sealskin.
    I started with a rucksack but now have a Carradice Super C Audax bag and Bagman, enough room to transport food and clothes to and from work plus toolkit.
    Front Lights, started with cheapish Cateye but not good enough for unlit sections so bought a Hope 1, since then bought various Chinese torches, currently using a Trustfire A8 which is awesome but I've got the bug and have one of these waiting to take over.
    sku_179087_1.jpg

Rear lights, I use two PDW lights, a Fenderbot and a Radbot hanging off the Carradice loop.

I use Marathon plus tyres but have just switched to Vittoria Randonneur Pro II for a change. Hopefully they will be P resistant but more enjoyable to ride on. In ice/hard pack snow I use my MTB to commute as it has flat pedals for easy bailing out and I fit studded tyres.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Persevere with commuting, just don't become a communter !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    MattC59 wrote:

Thats a bit out of order isn't it? What do you mean communter exactly ?
    Whats wrong with commuting ? You save on fuel and don't clog up the roads and get mega fit. Then I guess you might be a little soft and can't hack the thought of a drop of rain now and again.

It's not fot the faint hearted.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I've been doing this for several winters now, since I got back into riding.

I'm half road half tow path 11 miles each way over hills, town and country lanes. Quite a mix, add to that we have no shower facilities at the office!!

For me winter essentials are a good pair of waterproof gloves, and over shoes!! Overshoes esp when the ground is wet, or it's cold. It doesn't have to be raining to get cold, wet feet.

Other than that it's clothes and towels at work, wash off in the gents, and come in the car once a week for clothing etc change over!!

I don't eat anything special, just maybe hot porridge on cold mornings.

Oh, and a Buff head scarf thingy. That is great, for your neck, head, ears etc.
  • One last tip :-) - If you have any RainX in the garage (http://www.rainx.co.uk/) a little on your cycling glasses realy helps in the dark rainy evenings. Rain just slides off, so you get less obscurity of vision.

Works for me in the Pennines anyway :-)
  • Yossie
    MattC59 wrote:

Thats a bit out of order isn't it? What do you mean communter exactly ?
    Whats wrong with commuting ? You save on fuel and don't clog up the roads and get mega fit. Then I guess you might be a little soft and can't hack the thought of a drop of rain now and again.

It's not fot the faint hearted.

Agree with Pina - my day job is stressful enough as it is (when I'm actually doing anything that is) so a bit of commuting will keep me fit, let me learn new routes and let me meet new people to hang with and hopefully go for weekend commutes with. I may even meet a new BF. Or a slapper or will let me post piccies of her norks on here. Preferably the latter.

I can't believe that you're having a go at a way of life here - bicycles aren't just a means of transport, they are a lifestyle.

To get back on track from these TROLLS, how about rear lights - I use 3 at the moment (knapsack, back of helmet and seat tube) - do I need more? I'm just a bit scared of talking it up the rear from a trucker.

My new commute will take me through London and everyone seems to ride single speed - do you suggest I go this route?