What are you Drinking?

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
I have been (by scientific analysis of looking at the colour of my wee) dehydrated of late and clearly not getting enough fluid in.

So am making a conscientious effort to drink more throughout the day, now I am not much of a cold water sort of guy and what with SWMBO being with child, I am trying to cut down/out the caffeine (fags have stopped and booze will follow) as well, in support.

So, I have started to drink fruit/herb teas.

Are these any good for me or are they just flavoured hot water?

what you drinking when tied to the desk? Any other suggestions for keeping it interesting??
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    rubertoe wrote:
    I have been (by scientific analysis of looking at the colour of my wee) dehydrated of late and clearly not getting enough fluid in.

So am making a conscientious effort to drink more throughout the day, now I am not much of a cold water sort of guy and what with SWMBO being with child, I am trying to cut down/out the caffeine (fags have stopped and booze will follow) as well, in support.

So, I have started to drink fruit/herb teas.

Are these any good for me or are they just flavoured hot water?

what you drinking when tied to the desk? Any other suggestions for keeping it interesting??

Watersports? You can check your pee at the same time... just saying.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Having lived off caffeine for the last few years i have cut right down and drink 1 coffee or tea a day. The only fizzy drink i touch is lemonade and even then only occasionally. I dont do sugar in tea or coffee and hate artificial sweetener.

To replace the hot drinks i have tried various herbal and fruit teas and they all taste pretty rank to me unless loaded with sugar which defeats the object, instead i drink hot water with a big wedge of lime and a tiny drizzle of honey. In the evenings i warm apple juice mixed 50/50 with water and add fresh ginger or allspice, i make enough to refrigerate some to go with breakfast the next day.

Instead of fizzy drinks i am happy to drink tap or fizzy water, the mrs wont drink water but keeps a bottle in the fridge with a few peices of dried mango in that gives just enough taste.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Tea all day long every day while at work for me I'm afraid :wink: I think I need to drink more water :roll:

Don't 'drink' anymore so getting healthier in that way :mrgreen:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Are you insane? Don't cut out the booze, you'll need it if she's up the duff.
    At work I drink proper tea or cold water. Can't stand fruit or herbal teas. Not much help to you there, sorry.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Don't understand not drinking water. Until about 23 never drank anything else. Odd bottle of coke once a month or two but never hot drinks. Started drinking coffee and love it. But still drink a big bottle of water almost every day along with at least 3/4 big glasses.

Try drinking a big glass in one go and leave for an hour. Not really into sipping.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Tut tut Mr Burns! Is it the weekend already?

@ rubertoe, get some supermalt down yer neck. It's luuuuurvly. However, if you want to stick with herbal teas then try some Yogi Tea Detox. It's liquorice and cinnamon goodness and not watery like some other herbal teas can be.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Dry white wine with a Vimto chaser....

(Actually, it's mainly just Vimto (sugar free), water, or watered down orance juice, because I don't like tea or coffee).
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Have recently give up sugar in tea & coffee I've realised that I don't really them without so it's down to a couple of cups of either per day now. Cold water is a good replacement but a [surprisingly] good alternative is a cup of hot water, so tea, without milk, or sugar. Or tea. :wink:

It's alright as long as you drink it whilst it's still hot enough. Lukewarm water is pretty unpleasant.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Might try the hot water thing but first I need to scrape the years of tea residue from the inside of the mug :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Strong coffee to start the day, then Yorkshire Tea at regular intervals throughout the day. There's not that much caffeine in a cup of tea, so unless you are brewing it extra strong and drinking 10+ cups a day, it's not going to make that much difference. Green tea is nice once you've acquired the taste (so long as you get some decent stuff). If you want, you can get properly into tea by visiting Teasmith in Spitalfields, and buying yourself a tetsubin

tetsubin.jpg

some nice tea cups, and a caddy, and a trivet to put the tesubin on...

N+1 teapots might be a bit much for your work colleagues, but who cares what they think?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Used to drink tea through the day but where I work now they are a bit slow on the tea rounds so I've swapped to water and something fizzy and sugary at lunchtime (Pepsi, not beer).
    arran77 wrote:
    Might try the hot water thing but first I need to scrape the years of tea residue from the inside of the mug :shock:
    Fill it with hot water and drop a sterilising tablet in it (the sort for sterilising baby bottles)
    simonhead wrote:
    To replace the hot drinks i have tried various herbal and fruit teas and they all taste pretty rank
    I find the cheap berry flavoured supermarket own brand ones taste better (stronger). Posh ones or herby ones taste like soapy water.
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    Strong brown beer from morning 'til night. Separates the men from the boys.
  • veronese68
    Isn't beer just like bread in liquid form? Similar basic ingredients, with more water to keep your fluid intake up. What's not to like?
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Gin
  • rjsterry
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Isn't beer just like bread in liquid form? Similar basic ingredients, with more water to keep your fluid intake up. What's not to like?

You don't usually make bread with barley, although you can make bread with malted grain. Malted and kilned barley, is actually pretty tasty even before you make it in to beer.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

You don't usually make bread with barley, although you can make bread with malted grain. Malted and kilned barley, is actually pretty tasty even before you make it in to beer.
    Near enough for my comparison. This is the interweb after all, never let the facts get in the way of your opinion.
  • rjsterry
    Veronese68 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Near enough for my comparison. This is the interweb after all, never let the facts get in the way of your opinion.
    Ngh! I was going to delete that post for tediousness and pedantry. Oh well.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    vermin wrote:
    Gin

I guess living in Liverpool has that effect on you.
  • veronese68
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Ngh! I was going to delete that post for tediousness and pedantry. Oh well.
    :lol: That sort of thing doesn't usually stop many on here, myself included. I will admit I nearly wrote "the same basic ingredients", I changed it to "similar" as I knew I would get picked up on it.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    stu-bim wrote:
    Try drinking a big glass in one go and leave for an hour. Not really into sipping.

Doesn't that just go straight through you? I thought, in order to hydrate, you had to drink slowly
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Have you tried drinking Redbush (Roibois) tea with a little honey in? No caffeine (weirdo). Doesn't taste too much like bilgewater, like those pointless herbal "teas".
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I have normal tea in the morning and decaf in the afternoon. I like Rooibos as a natural caffiene free brew. I'm working through the Char range: http://www.charteas.com/home/shop/products/1-18.html

I love the Char shop in Winchester, but if you buy mail order they throw in some free samples.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Karl Marx only drank herbal tea.

Because proper tea is theft.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    stu-bim wrote:

Doesn't that just go straight through you? I thought, in order to hydrate, you had to drink slowly

Not talking about exercising and drinking in one go, which it may. I tend to drink a fair few big glasses of water throughout the day and never really noticed.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • Get some real hibiscus flower: they taste great (I like them, sharp lemony flavour) and keep you fresh. I would avoid supermarket cheapest-cheapest as they tend to have artificial flavouring in them (which for me defeats the purpose of healthy drinks).
    This looks good:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/31072575 ... =83&ff19=0
    You can also crab some fresh mint or lemongrass from the supermarket, they all taste great.
  • mrfpb wrote:
    Karl Marx only drank herbal tea.

Because proper tea is theft.

:D:D
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    WTF is wrong with you people? Oh water is SO boring, so boring that I can't bring myself to drink it...

1.5 litre bottle on desk. Polish that off over the working day, then more water at home. Suspect a large % of people do not drink enough water. It's not exactly a challenge is it?
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    espresso(s) in the morning before ride. coffee at work from the machine and water all day. make sure urine is clear.

no soft drinks. wine or beer when appropriate.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • At 11 o'clock this morning we had a very rare glass of champagne with all staff, to celebrate a few good deals over recent months.

Followed by a cup of tea.

Should probably have some water before my 13.30 meeting, but i might need to run to the loo every 5 minutes!!
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    I've recently been using High 5 Zero tabs, during or after an indoor session...
    These stop me from becoming light-headed (I have a low sodium diet) and keep me hydrated.

Whilst I'm desk bound, it's green tea with lemon.