Cat and Fiddle 2013

oldmuthariley
oldmuthariley Posts: 108
Fast approaching this Sunday (6th Oct)..
anyone doing it ?
i'll be there on my Rourke 953 8)

Comments

• alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Yes. Booked in last night.

weather looks good.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • Hi gents. Entered the event with a friend in aid of Macmillan trust. This is only my second sportive but really looking forward to it. Any of you guys ridden the course previous? See you on the day.
  • Never ridden the route but i have an inkling that it's quite hilly!
    I'll have a light blue long sleeved top on and the bike is a matte blue rourke - give me a push up the cat and fiddle if you see me! :oops:
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    I will be riding - done it on a number of occasions. Likely to be on the end of the Mercia CC choo-choo.

It's usually a good day out! Decent price, enough of a challenge and plenty of food at the end.

Don't believe the website which states that the fastest riders will do it in 2 hours :shock:
  • Think that was possibly a misprint or wishful thinking nochekmate. If I see you oldmuthariley I will certainly acknowledge you and hope you will return the push.Just checked the forecast and it appears we are in for a wind free sunny ride, not holding my breath though. Did the Cat last wkd and the only section that is remotely taxing is the beginning which is 12% for a mile then it levels off with a few downhill sections very doable.

Enjoy :D:)
  • nochekmate
    edited October 2013
    Last year's details

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/230856877

Had to ease off up the first section of the Cat climb due to asthma on a foggy morning (and low on Ventolin). Look to set off the speed cameras early on in the ride. Last year they were flashing like mad as our group went past! Beware of traffic lights at the bottom of the hill though!
  • I did this last year on a lead MTB with green wheels. I've been planning to do it again this year (with 3k miles in the legs, not 300), on a road bike.
    The only thing getting in the way is that it's the cup final on sat, and I'm not sure how realistic getting to the start on time is....
  • This is one of the best rides of the year, good route, normally a good bunch of riders, good spread at the finish thanks to Rourkie and his friends/helpers.

Done this ride the last 2 years, the cat and fiddle is the easy bit, the stretch from Buxton is tougher.

Hope the weather is as good as last year! :D
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    There will be three of us in our Team CF kit.

Give us a wave if you see us.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • Is it worthwhile using a compact or should I stick with a standard double there appears to be a fair amount of climbing. What set up will you guys be using?
  • nochekmate
    Is it worthwhile using a compact or should I stick with a standard double there appears to be a fair amount of climbing. What set up will you guys be using?

Depends on how strong you are tbh.

All of the climbs can be ridden by a reasonable club rider on 39/25 combination as the major climbs of Cat & Fiddle and the climb out of Buxton, Axe Edge are more long drags than really steep gradients. I have used a 53/39 with a 12/25T cassette and a compact 50/34 with a 12/25T cassette myself in the past - depends on how much you have in your legs, what sort of climber you are. For novice riders new to the hills of this nature, I would definitely recommend a compact (although pedalling down the descent into Leek may see you spinning pretty quickly - can easily be 50mph+ on there) - I held back at 46mph on my previous linked ride as I'm not the bravest descender in the world - 50 years of age now and memories of a broken elbow a few years back!

If the headwind is scheduled to blow along Axe Edge then I might favour my compact. :wink:
  • Thanks for the advice nochekmate . I will stick on the side of caution and opt for the compact config. Unfortunately I could not open your Garmin stats for whatever reason, what did you get round in last year?
  • nochekmate
    Thanks for the advice nochekmate . I will stick on the side of caution and opt for the compact config. Unfortunately I could not open your Garmin stats for whatever reason, what did you get round in last year?

I noticed that and should now have unlocked it - sub 3 hours - should be sub 2:50 this year I would think if weather is not too bad.
  • 53/39 up front and 12-29 on the back for me.
    I did a Rapha ride last year from Manchester to Chesterfield through the Peak District and came in last - i was given a Lantern rouge cap for my "efforts".
    Hope to be a bit better than that on sunday :shock:
  • nochekmate
    Almost worth coming 'last' if the Lantern Rouge cap was a Rapha cap :wink:
  • nochekmate wrote:
    Almost worth coming 'last' if the Lantern Rouge cap was a Rapha cap :wink:

Sure is - well worn now and will be on my bonce on sunday 8)
  • Its described as a beast of a ride is it really that difficult nochekmate?
  • nochekmate
    Its described as a beast of a ride is it really that difficult nochekmate?

It's not a beast of a ride at all IMO - I am 50 and probably average between 130-150 miles per week to put it in some perspective but there are all sorts of standards riding on the day and no doubt some of them feel like they've had a hard day at the end of it. A couple of years ago my son who was then aged 18 and not cycling as much as he does now found the last 10-15 miles quite hard going and needed a fatherly shove on occasions - took me 3hrs 30 that year waiting around for the young whippersnapper (he's a damn sight stronger now though!) I tried to get my 15 year old to enter this year but he does not fancy it at the moment.

Bit for a drag up the Cat (though some flat/downhill sections to recover on here) and bit of a drag up Axe Edge (which if the wind blows can be hard work) and one or two shortish lumps such as Brown Edge as you enter the last few miles but there are far harder rides around than this. It came up a touch short of 55 miles on my Garmin and given the distance of just over 50 miles, it's not too taxing. Given that I averaged approx. 18mph last year and that the speed up the climbs affects the average considerably (and I was a tad asthmatic too), there are plenty of flatter quicker sections where the legs are not having to work too hard.
  • Thanks again nochekmate . Really chomping at the bit now, gonna be great weather by all accounts.

Enjoy the ride.
  • nochekmate
    Super weather today for the Rourke ride and enjoyed the day after a nightmare start - see below. 19.0mph moving average for me so pleased with that considering the terrain involved. Short stop at the top of the Cat climb to remove the tights as the weather warmed up. Cat & Fiddle climb was easy & got into a good rhythm whilst Axe Edge was a bit harder due to the headwind.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/386372171

http://www.strava.com/activities/87255425

Day was marred really by the fact that my clubmate had his bike stolen from the HQ (along with one other chap). Pal's bike is a 54cm Cervelo S2, Campag Chorus & carbon wheelset (unbranded) in red/black. Other chap's bike is a black Pinarello Dogma with Chorus 11 speed & Campag Shamal wheels. Keep your eyes out on eBay etc chaps! Not sure that my mate is insured with his bike.

Scumbags! They must have arrived in cycling gear and simply walked away with the bikes. Time for the organisers of these events to adopt a triathlon transition type zone where bikes can only be taken out on the production of a matching number.
  • Oh dear - that's seriously bad news regarding the bike thefts.. :evil:
    Did any others get pinched?
    I had a great ride - i had a rear wheel puncture a couple of miles into the cat and fiddle climb - i wasn't too gutted as it gave me a breather! :D
    Amazing scenery, weather and great company - all in a top ride.
    I wasn't near nocheckmate's time - add another hour! :oops:
    Would certainly recommend it - I saw Sean kelly in Rourke's shop after the ride but i didn't know what to say to him so let him be. 8)
  • nochekmate
    Just the two bikes that I know of but a fair few quid's worth with just those two bikes! My mate was gutted - when he was shouting that somebody had nicked his bike, I thought that it had just been placed elsewhere by somebody (I was fortunate because I stacked my best bike very close to where his went from - I think that his had been taken by then).

If you did 3hrs 45ish then that's not a bad time at all to be honest. I've done the event a few times now, so know how much I need to leave in the tank (there's a few little 'stingers' in the last 10 miles or so). On my first Rourke ride, a few years back, I held back on the Cat & Fiddle climb as I had not ridden it before and did not know what to expect - you may have had to do likewise.

Beautiful day today!
  • Yes cracking event with the weather being perfect! Never been up the cat and fiddle before and could probably go harder next time as I had plenty in the tank at the top. Think the 25 pound on the day price was a little pricey to be honest for a 50 mile ride, however the proceeds do go to a good cause.
  • nochekmate
    Yes cracking event with the weather being perfect! Never been up the cat and fiddle before and could probably go harder next time as I had plenty in the tank at the top. Think the 25 pound on the day price was a little pricey to be honest for a 50 mile ride, however the proceeds do go to a good cause.

Only £15 if you paid in advance - which is pretty cheap as far as events go.
  • Very sorry to hear about the stolen bikes, there were a couple pinched when 2 cyclists went to the toilet at Trentham when doing the tour ride.
    There was also something in the local press about 1 or 2 bikes being stolen when some riders were doing an individual cycle event to raise money for somebody, can't remember the exact details?
    I placed my bike where I could see it all the time and warned others to be careful due to these thefts. It appears that maybe the same people could be involved realising how much money some of these bikes cost or just 3 completely separate incidents? Something does need doing to show that the bike belongs to the person leaving with it.
    On a brighter note, really enjoyed today's ride, stopped at peak view cafe for snack, the weather was amazing for the 2nd year in a row. Got to 48mph on downhill, flagging at the end, the tea, sandwiches ,cake and fellow riders were all excellent.
    See you next year! :D
  • nochekmate wrote:
    Yes cracking event with the weather being perfect! Never been up the cat and fiddle before and could probably go harder next time as I had plenty in the tank at the top. Think the 25 pound on the day price was a little pricey to be honest for a 50 mile ride, however the proceeds do go to a good cause.

Only £15 if you paid in advance - which is pretty cheap as far as events go.

Exactly £10 is a big mark up!
  • Participated in the ride yesterday and have to say a really enjoyable and well marshalled event. The back end of the course had a sting in it's tail. I was totally amazed at the amount of riders who did not even attempt some of the climbs dismounting their bikes at the base of the climbs. there were a couple of tough climbs but come on. Sean Kelly was well chaperoned in the peloton hardly appeared to break into a sweat. Had a little chat with Brian Rourke on the way round, what a nice man. Will certainly enter the event in 2014.
  • Participated in the ride yesterday and have to say a really enjoyable and well marshalled event. The back end of the course had a sting in it's tail. I was totally amazed at the amount of riders who did not even attempt some of the climbs dismounting their bikes at the base of the climbs. there were a couple of tough climbs but come on. Sean Kelly was well chaperoned in the peloton hardly appeared to break into a sweat. Had a little chat with Brian Rourke on the way round, what a nice man. Will certainly enter the event in 2014.

What time do they start off ? Never seen them on the actual ride yet, was Brian on the tandem this year? Great day, weather fantastic and yes Brian is one of the nicest blokes you could wish to meet, always ready for a chat and give advice. See you next year :D
  • Unfortunately Brian has announced he will be hanging up his cleats and this will be his last year of organising the event, hopefully the cystic Fibrosis charity will pick up from where he left off.
    Absolutely cracking event
  • Sean set off about 9ish with Liverpool Mercury or at least he was in the same peleton as them when we met up with him on route. They were cycling at quite a pedestrian pace so was easy to stay with the group up the Cat. Yes it is a real shame Brian is calling it a day, he is after all in his mid seventies, think he was cycling with his daughter but I stand to be corrected on that. How did you find the ride?