Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general

BPW Increasing Prices...

jndb72jndb72 Posts: 629
edited October 2013 in MTB general
...after only a month of operating.

Not going down too well with the locals.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=634244689949018&set=a.484638504909638.112900.199924540047704&type=3&theater
2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's

• BriggoBriggo Posts: 3,823
    Oh dear, £7 for a good day out having fun on the trails?

Daylight robbery, they'll want my Y fronts next too.

(Thetford forest charges £7 a day to park there, so stop whining whiners)
  • welshkevwelshkev Posts: 9,690
    When the most expensive place locally is £3.50 to park then it's expensive. If it was £7 to park that wouldn't be too bad as there's usually 2 or 3 of us per car, but £21 per car sounds different.

Especially as I can't always plan when I ride it's a bit of a rip off charging me an extra £2 just cos I have other things to do in life.

But I've been discussing it on fb and a season pass looks best for me anyway. So the £7 won't matter then.
  • ThewaylanderThewaylander Posts: 8,767
    Briggo wrote:
    Oh dear, £7 for a good day out having fun on the trails?

Daylight robbery, they'll want my Y fronts next too.

(Thetford forest charges £7 a day to park there, so stop whining whiners)

it's also a different cost of living down this way, it's getting a bit silly if im honest.
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    looks like the price is the same. just an extra 2 quid for a turn up and ride option.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
    nicklouse wrote:
    looks like the price is the same. just an extra 2 quid for a turn up and ride option.

yeah it is, but as I've said above. it's a PITA as I can't always plan when I ride and seeing comments on fb I think they're going to lose a lot or casual "oh, i'll just pop there for an hour" type of riders. either that or it's a mis-guided attempt to make people buy more season passes as at £70 it's only 10 just turning up on the day trips.
  • MaroMaro Posts: 226
    Having been on Sunday I would be happy to pay £7 to ride there. I live about an hour away so although I'm likely to decide to go last minute I'm also likely to make a day of it, not just a quick hour here and there. I know that a car park is kind of wasted space from a business point of view but IMO it's a little bit too small.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • jndb72jndb72 Posts: 629
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • kammybearkammybear Posts: 500
    I think this £2 hike has just highlighted the amount it costs to go there compared to elsewhere!

Would like to visit some day but it's a 2hr drive from Birmingham :-(
  • I'd happily pay £7 to go and ride there considering it costs me £7 to go an ride at Dalby... I know which I'd prefer.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • kammybearkammybear Posts: 500
    BPW is £5 per rider not per car like everywhere else.

4 of you going? That'll be £20. It's petty but money is money! People are just less likely to go there as often...which is probably a good thing as the trails will require less maintenance.

This is a private park? I can see why would need to charge to keep it going but hard to compete with free alternatives especially for locals (who are jammy bastards anyway)
  • Kowalski675Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    kammybear wrote:
    I think this £2 hike has just highlighted the amount it costs to go there compared to elsewhere!

Would like to visit some day but it's a 2hr drive from Birmingham :-(

Look on the bright side - you'll be two hours away from Birmingham... :lol:
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    They changed their minds, it is £5 pre book or not, you just get entered into a free raffel to win an uplift if you pre book.
  • UH DHUH DH Posts: 4,160
    Seriously? People are bitching over £2?

As a charge it makes sense to get people to pre-book. Means you know exactly what your income will be in advance without worrying about not enough turning up on the day.

But in the end, it's £2. I make minimum wage and would happily pay £7 for a days riding. People need to stop whining over little changes. It's been open a month, obviously it's costing more than anticipated to operate so they are adjusting prices. Big deal.
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
    UH DH wrote:
    Seriously? People are bitching over £2?

As a charge it makes sense to get people to pre-book. Means you know exactly what your income will be in advance without worrying about not enough turning up on the day.

But in the end, it's £2. I make minimum wage and would happily pay £7 for a days riding. People need to stop whining over little changes. It's been open a month, obviously it's costing more than anticipated to operate so they are adjusting prices. Big deal.

Exactly, it's only been open a month. Is it going to be a tenner by Christmas? £15 by Easter? Where does it stop?

And as has been said before. Why should I get penalised £2 for having other stuff going on in life and not always know when I'm going to ride? Personally I think a fiver was a bit steep, but I am a tight wad. It's ok if you're going to spend all day there, but I very rarely spend a whole day riding.
  • DCR00DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    the interesting thing about this discussion is that most of us wouldn't think twice of spunking a couple of hundred quid on a dropper post, but a couple of quid extra to ride for the day is an issue :?
    Antur is £26 to ride for the day (granted that's an uplift, so not exactly the same)

I happily pay that every time i go cause i know it will be a good day's riding
    I've been talking with mates on fb and its split, some are like me and think its a bit of a piss take upping it (I know it's not happening now)

Other are like above where they don't see what all the fuss is about over £2. I think the problem (well not exactly a problem) is that we have so much good riding available to us locally for free or a quid to park. So if you have 2 or 3 in the car that turns into £10/£15 instead at bpw.

And yes, stiniog is awesome :)
  • duskdusk Posts: 583
    I personally think MTBing is very cheap when it comes to paying for riding, as stated think how much your bike/clothing costs. When you consider how much goes into building and upkeep of most trails then it's a bargain.

A round of golf is £20-£100 or more, an hour of football is £3.50 so a whole day of riding for less than £10 is pretty good, I'm sure they charge a lot more in Whistler
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
    welshkev wrote:
    And yes, stiniog is awesome :)

Going Sunday :D
  • ThewaylanderThewaylander Posts: 8,767
    To compare to Stiniog though, BPW is uplift of £30.

i think to push up £5 is fair, but to pay more for rocking up on the day is a bit rude, im ok if they want to off a discount for booking. but in comprison to other places in Wales its steep.

I think they need to let it run for a bit first its not like it has a huge array of trails yet with 6 open so far, when they get a good few more up and running they i would knock a price lift.
  • RockmonkeySCRockmonkeySC Posts: 15,247
    They have dropped they idea now and going with other incentives for pre booking.
    They have dropped they idea now and going with other incentives for pre booking.

I'm guessing you didn't read the whole Thread? ;)
    I skimmed through bits of it!
    I will find out how good it is this weekend. The videos I have seen of the race track make it look very tame for a black dh track.
    I skimmed through bits of it!
    I will find out how good it is this weekend. The videos I have seen of the race track make it look very tame for a black dh track.

Yeah there's nothing major on it, but I didn't take the 'pro line' I assume the race will be in this? There's a fairly big gap jump on it from what I've seen in the vids
    Yeah, I think its only 20-25 feet and a fairly straight run in so im going for the simple plan of just hit the fecker flat out and it will all go swimmingly.
    its only 20-25 feet
    :shock:
    There's a 50 foot gap at my local trails. I can't clear that.
  • UH DHUH DH Posts: 4,160
    Wait, they charge to ride? I assumed the fee being whined about was for an uplift or something. I can understand parking charges and stuff, but pay to ride is pushing it a bit.

I suppose the costs are for insurance or something.
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
    UH DH wrote:
    Wait, they charge to ride? I assumed the fee being whined about was for an uplift or something. I can understand parking charges and stuff, but pay to ride is pushing it a bit.

I suppose the costs are for insurance or something.

It's not the same as places like Afan because its a private business which has to make a profit to survive. Most trail centres are run by the FC and don't need to make profit.
    Gawton is also privately run and charges are very similar.