BPW Increasing Prices...

jndb72
jndb72 Posts: 629
edited October 2013 in MTB general
...after only a month of operating.

Not going down too well with the locals.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=634244689949018&set=a.484638504909638.112900.199924540047704&type=3&theater
2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Oh dear, £7 for a good day out having fun on the trails?

Daylight robbery, they'll want my Y fronts next too.

(Thetford forest charges £7 a day to park there, so stop whining whiners)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    When the most expensive place locally is £3.50 to park then it's expensive. If it was £7 to park that wouldn't be too bad as there's usually 2 or 3 of us per car, but £21 per car sounds different.

Especially as I can't always plan when I ride it's a bit of a rip off charging me an extra £2 just cos I have other things to do in life.

But I've been discussing it on fb and a season pass looks best for me anyway. So the £7 won't matter then.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Briggo wrote:
    Oh dear, £7 for a good day out having fun on the trails?

Daylight robbery, they'll want my Y fronts next too.

(Thetford forest charges £7 a day to park there, so stop whining whiners)

it's also a different cost of living down this way, it's getting a bit silly if im honest.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks like the price is the same. just an extra 2 quid for a turn up and ride option.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • welshkev
    nicklouse wrote:
    looks like the price is the same. just an extra 2 quid for a turn up and ride option.

yeah it is, but as I've said above. it's a PITA as I can't always plan when I ride and seeing comments on fb I think they're going to lose a lot or casual "oh, i'll just pop there for an hour" type of riders. either that or it's a mis-guided attempt to make people buy more season passes as at £70 it's only 10 just turning up on the day trips.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Having been on Sunday I would be happy to pay £7 to ride there. I live about an hour away so although I'm likely to decide to go last minute I'm also likely to make a day of it, not just a quick hour here and there. I know that a car park is kind of wasted space from a business point of view but IMO it's a little bit too small.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    I think this £2 hike has just highlighted the amount it costs to go there compared to elsewhere!

Would like to visit some day but it's a 2hr drive from Birmingham :-(
  • I'd happily pay £7 to go and ride there considering it costs me £7 to go an ride at Dalby... I know which I'd prefer.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    BPW is £5 per rider not per car like everywhere else.

4 of you going? That'll be £20. It's petty but money is money! People are just less likely to go there as often...which is probably a good thing as the trails will require less maintenance.

This is a private park? I can see why would need to charge to keep it going but hard to compete with free alternatives especially for locals (who are jammy bastards anyway)
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    kammybear wrote:
    I think this £2 hike has just highlighted the amount it costs to go there compared to elsewhere!

Would like to visit some day but it's a 2hr drive from Birmingham :-(

Look on the bright side - you'll be two hours away from Birmingham... :lol:
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    They changed their minds, it is £5 pre book or not, you just get entered into a free raffel to win an uplift if you pre book.
  • UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    Seriously? People are bitching over £2?

As a charge it makes sense to get people to pre-book. Means you know exactly what your income will be in advance without worrying about not enough turning up on the day.

But in the end, it's £2. I make minimum wage and would happily pay £7 for a days riding. People need to stop whining over little changes. It's been open a month, obviously it's costing more than anticipated to operate so they are adjusting prices. Big deal.
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • welshkev
    UH DH wrote:
    Seriously? People are bitching over £2?

As a charge it makes sense to get people to pre-book. Means you know exactly what your income will be in advance without worrying about not enough turning up on the day.

But in the end, it's £2. I make minimum wage and would happily pay £7 for a days riding. People need to stop whining over little changes. It's been open a month, obviously it's costing more than anticipated to operate so they are adjusting prices. Big deal.

Exactly, it's only been open a month. Is it going to be a tenner by Christmas? £15 by Easter? Where does it stop?

And as has been said before. Why should I get penalised £2 for having other stuff going on in life and not always know when I'm going to ride? Personally I think a fiver was a bit steep, but I am a tight wad. It's ok if you're going to spend all day there, but I very rarely spend a whole day riding.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    the interesting thing about this discussion is that most of us wouldn't think twice of spunking a couple of hundred quid on a dropper post, but a couple of quid extra to ride for the day is an issue :?
  • DCR00
    Antur is £26 to ride for the day (granted that's an uplift, so not exactly the same)

I happily pay that every time i go cause i know it will be a good day's riding
  • welshkev
    I've been talking with mates on fb and its split, some are like me and think its a bit of a piss take upping it (I know it's not happening now)

Other are like above where they don't see what all the fuss is about over £2. I think the problem (well not exactly a problem) is that we have so much good riding available to us locally for free or a quid to park. So if you have 2 or 3 in the car that turns into £10/£15 instead at bpw.

And yes, stiniog is awesome :)
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I personally think MTBing is very cheap when it comes to paying for riding, as stated think how much your bike/clothing costs. When you consider how much goes into building and upkeep of most trails then it's a bargain.

A round of golf is £20-£100 or more, an hour of football is £3.50 so a whole day of riding for less than £10 is pretty good, I'm sure they charge a lot more in Whistler
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • DCR00
    welshkev wrote:
    And yes, stiniog is awesome :)

Going Sunday :D
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    To compare to Stiniog though, BPW is uplift of £30.

i think to push up £5 is fair, but to pay more for rocking up on the day is a bit rude, im ok if they want to off a discount for booking. but in comprison to other places in Wales its steep.

I think they need to let it run for a bit first its not like it has a huge array of trails yet with 6 open so far, when they get a good few more up and running they i would knock a price lift.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They have dropped they idea now and going with other incentives for pre booking.
  • welshkev
    They have dropped they idea now and going with other incentives for pre booking.

I'm guessing you didn't read the whole Thread? ;)
  • rockmonkeysc
    I skimmed through bits of it!
    I will find out how good it is this weekend. The videos I have seen of the race track make it look very tame for a black dh track.
  • welshkev
    I skimmed through bits of it!
    I will find out how good it is this weekend. The videos I have seen of the race track make it look very tame for a black dh track.

Yeah there's nothing major on it, but I didn't take the 'pro line' I assume the race will be in this? There's a fairly big gap jump on it from what I've seen in the vids
  • rockmonkeysc
    Yeah, I think its only 20-25 feet and a fairly straight run in so im going for the simple plan of just hit the fecker flat out and it will all go swimmingly.
  • DCR00
    its only 20-25 feet
    :shock:
  • rockmonkeysc
    There's a 50 foot gap at my local trails. I can't clear that.
  • UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    Wait, they charge to ride? I assumed the fee being whined about was for an uplift or something. I can understand parking charges and stuff, but pay to ride is pushing it a bit.

I suppose the costs are for insurance or something.
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • rockmonkeysc
    UH DH wrote:
    Wait, they charge to ride? I assumed the fee being whined about was for an uplift or something. I can understand parking charges and stuff, but pay to ride is pushing it a bit.

I suppose the costs are for insurance or something.

It's not the same as places like Afan because its a private business which has to make a profit to survive. Most trail centres are run by the FC and don't need to make profit.
    Gawton is also privately run and charges are very similar.