Racing heart for 24 hours after century ride.

riddon
riddon Posts: 21
edited September 2013 in Training, fitness and health
Hi.
Just joined and this is my first post. I am 64 and have only really got into serious road biking in the last couple of years. On Sunday I went out with the club and did just over 100 miles at a reasonable pace. I have done several centuries before without any ill effects. On this occasion I became very tired and struggled to keep up, particularly on the way home. Once home I felt a bit faint and seemed like I had a temperature so went to bed early. I noticed my heartrate was around 100 and wasn't coming down. I didn't sleep well at all and spent much of the following day in bed with heartrate still about 85. 2 days later I seem Ok now. I am wondering if I drank enough on the ride? I probably drank 1.5 litres of water /sports drink. We did have three stops and I ate food and had a coffee or tea at each one. Once home I drank a couple of pints of water and had a decent meal. One other contributing factor may be that I had a slight urinary tract infection (burning pee) at the time.

Any medical bods out there who can tell me what i did wrong or how to prevent this happening again?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    No offence fella, but get off the internet and get yourself down to the docs. If you have any concerns about your heart, then here is not the place to ask.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Go and see your doctor and get checked out!!

You may have had (or still have) a urinary tract infection (which can cause a high fever if it gets up to the bladder or kidneys), or it could be something more serious (not that a UTI can't also be serious), but the only way to find out is to go to the doctor! Even if it's just a UTI, you may still need antibiotics to clear it up, even if you feel OK now. But especially at your age (no offence) you do need to get checked out if you experience any symptoms like that!
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    You might have had too much caffeine.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Docs to check you out - if only for your own peace of mind...
  • OK, I get the message. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced similar symptoms after a long ride without enough hydration. Googling the symptoms they seem to match what I experienced.

Thanks for the replies.
  • I'm sure studies have shown that the hr can take 24-48h to recover after long duration efforts such as ultra-marathons etc. Even after a two hour run or ride mine takes until evening to get back to near normal. I regularly monitor mine to track its recovery. I do have known heart issues anyway though what I would do if it stayed elevated I'm not sure, if it was the only symptom.

Agree you should always seek expert advice, though urine colour should tell you if you are dehydrated.

On a sort of side issue not sure that coffee and tea en route would be the most sensible things to drink? due to the diuretic properties aside from the risk of the caffeine upping the hr.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Look up EPOC... Wiki has quite a good piece on it. Sounds like your body was in stress probably because you were keeping up with the fit whippets while not feeling 100%. I'm 62 now and can't do what the youngsters do and don't intend to kill myself trying...
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I still think the most likely explanation was that the urinary tract infection (which you know you had in the urethra at least because of the burning pee) had managed to get up into the bladder. I had this myself once, and the symptoms are pretty much as you describe - flu-like symptoms with a high temperature (which will also significantly elevate your heart rate significantly). As well as burning pee, did you find you were having to go more often etc? That's also a good sign that the infection has got higher up. In my case the symptoms got better after 24 hours, but I still didn't feel 100% and it turned out the infection was still there. Needed antibiotics to clear it up. If I was you I'd get checked out just to be sure - the doctor can test a urine sample in 10 minutes, and he/she can also reassure you there is nothing else amiss.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Go to the doctors - I command thee. :arrow: Now :)