"Out Of Order" ?? - You Decide...

13»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Over-reaction

1/ No idea if she was looking at her ipad or not - a lot of conclusion jumping to there
    2/ She may have innocently realised she was in the wrong lane and decided that while it was abrupt she could safely carry out the manouver (even if her assesment was wrong)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cje wrote:
    Keeping calm and saying something like "Seeing as you've got your browser open, you might want to search for a driving school" would probably have made her feel a bit stupid and perhaps taught her a lesson.

Yes it's better to not let matters get to the point of confrontation, and yes it would be great to stay calm and come out with a clever or witty remark to make the motorist feel stupid but it's not always that easy, especially if you feel that your life has just been endangered by some selfish and careless fool.

With blood already pumping fast from the riding and the adrenaline coursing through your body it isn't that surprising that some cyclists might do the wrong thing after having a close encounter with an idiot driver. And grabbing the keys was the wrong thing.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    The Rookie wrote:
    Over-reaction

1/ No idea if she was looking at her ipad or not - a lot of conclusion jumping to there
    2/ She may have innocently realised she was in the wrong lane and decided that while it was abrupt she could safely carry out the manouver (even if her assesment was wrong)

Point 2 I can see your point. But point 1, even if she wasn't looking at it, according to the OP it was between her knees! What was it doing there if she wasn't looking at it, and or planning to? If she had no intention of using it, it would be put away, if she only intended to use it when stopped (possible) it would be on the passenger seat and not between her knees. Plus have you ever tried driving a car with something between your knees, every tried an emergancy stop in such circumstance?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Some points:

1. Imagine that was your wife? How would you feel if some guy did that? Some guy who worked at a train station shouted at my then pregnant girlfriend and followed her, continuing to shout, up the platform as she tried to walk away. I was down there in an instance with my a heck of a lot more rage than he ever thought possible.

2. The inside of my car is my personal space the moment you breach that you're in for a butt kicking.

3. You snatched her property (iPad and car keys) from her.

4. She could have thought she was in for a carjacking or being robbed and run you over. If this were the case, I would struggle to take issue with her reaction given the fear of some angry man leaning into her car, when she is in a vulnerable position.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley
    edited September 2013
    cje wrote:
    Keeping calm and saying something like "Seeing as you've got your browser open, you might want to search for a driving school" would probably have made her feel a bit stupid and perhaps taught her a lesson.

Yes it's better to not let matters get to the point of confrontation, and yes it would be great to stay calm and come out with a clever or witty remark to make the motorist feel stupid but it's not always that easy, especially if you feel that your life has just been endangered by some selfish and careless fool.

With blood already pumping fast from the riding and the adrenaline coursing through your body it isn't that surprising that some cyclists might do the wrong thing after having a close encounter with an idiot driver. And grabbing the keys was the wrong thing.

It's really hard to stay calm when someone bad driving has almost cost you dearly. When I had my accident I was suprisingly calm, but damage was already done then, I'm normal much more "confrontational" when it's been a near miss. That being said I was almost taken out this morning by a lady turning right out of waitrose in raynes park only to come right accross into the cycle lane on the other side of the road, almost taking me out. At the next light I knocked on her wind and told her calmly what she had done and got an appology, needless to say she hadn't seen all 18 stone of me, which meant she didn't look. However 9 times out of 10 the driver in such circumstances will get agreessive when questioned even calmly...
    --
    Chris

• Sketchley wrote:
    have you ever tried driving a car with something between your knees

I believe Hugh Grant did.
  • vitesse169 wrote:

^^This^^

Just look at the replies that say "I've lost it with these drivers" - "I can understand why", etc,etc. Then gone on to say you over reacted.
    The point is this tart

At which point I stopped reading, because nothing sensible was going to follow.

...but if you did read on you would have seen the point...
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Sketchley wrote:
    cje wrote:

It's really hard to stay calm when someone bad driving has almost cost you dearly. When I had my accident I was suprisingly calm, but damage was already done then, I'm normal much more "confrontational" when it's been a near miss. That being said I was almost taken out this morning by a lady turning right out of waitrose in raynes park only to come right accross into the cycle lane on the other side of the road, almost taking me out. At the next light I knocked on her wind and told her calmly what she had done and got an appology, needless to say she hadn't seen all 18 stone of me, which meant she didn't look. However 9 times out of 10 the driver in such circumstances will get agreessive when questioned even calmly...

Out of interest, which exit was she coming out of? Only one way out of that Waitrose is actually an exit...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • sketchley
    @menthal she was turning right out of the exit near the railway bridge to head up to the t junction at the lights where she turned right to head towards the A3.
    --
    Chris

• menthel
    Sketchley wrote:
    @menthal she was turning right out of the exit near the railway bridge to head up to the t junction at the lights where she turned right to head towards the A3.

At least she got that bit right! Loads of people come out of the other way, on to Coombe Lane where there are clear no exit signs.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    She can't be a bad driver - she shops at Waitrose ... unless she was just pretending .... did you ask to see her receipt?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Sigh
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Slowbike wrote:
    She can't be a bad driver - she shops at Waitrose ... unless she was just pretending .... did you ask to see her receipt?

Waitrose in Hersham is the natural home of bad drivers, middle class scum with an over inflated sense of entitlement and self worth, and clarkey cat.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • menthel
    Asprilla wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Waitrose in Hersham is the natural home of bad drivers, middle class scum with an over inflated sense of entitlement and self worth, and clarkey cat.

I like Waitrose. Although we do usually cycle or walk there! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I engaged in a bit of verbal with a crazy woman in a car. The next day, large scary partner found me and punched me off my bike. It might be you or someone else that gets it but tact and diplomacy might have been a better option. Confrontation of this nature never works however justified it is...
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    I engaged in a bit of verbal with a crazy woman in a car. The next day, large scary partner found me and punched me off my bike. It might be you or someone else that gets it but tact and diplomacy might have been a better option. Confrontation of this nature never works however justified it is...

...soooo, her poor standard of driving is justified by her crazy bloke being violent towards other road users ?
    How about we just roll over and let all wrongdoers run amuk JIC their friend get violent.
    I have no problem with people getting shouty with each other, when it turns to punchy - that's a different matter.
    Seems that 'might is right', which I think on our roads is wrong.
    I take primary on the road, and have had shouting matches with various users on this. I will not be intimidated off the road, and neither should you be...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    vitesse169 wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

...soooo, her poor standard of driving is justified by her crazy bloke being violent towards other road users ?
    How about we just roll over and let all wrongdoers run amuk JIC their friend get violent.
    I have no problem with people getting shouty with each other, when it turns to punchy - that's a different matter.
    I take primary on the road, and have had shouting matches with various users on this. I will not be intimidated off the road, and neither should you be...

Of course it's wrong that 'might is right', but as cyclists, we're not really equipped to do much about it. I'm all for a bit of assertive riding, but if someone is either deliberately driving at me or otherwise threatening me physically, I'm just going to get out of the way as quickly as possible.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    menthel wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

I like Waitrose. Although we do usually cycle or walk there! ;)

I shop in Waitrose but have to drive there. I then spend most of my time trying not to have an aneurysm or beat someone to death with a jar of cassoulet.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    rjsterry wrote:
    vitesse169 wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Of course it's wrong that 'might is right', but as cyclists, we're not really equipped to do much about it. I'm all for a bit of assertive riding, but if someone is either deliberately driving at me or otherwise threatening me physically, I'm just going to get out of the way as quickly as possible.

On the way home last night, lairy Golf driver squeezes a guy on a MTB into the kerb. I am behind, and MTB guy proceeds to give the Golf Driver a bit of verbal.

Golf driver doesn't like it and purposely proceeds to swerve at MTB guy, and I can see that the golf guy laughing as he does it, after 2/3 times I shout at MTB guy to pull in behind Golf and to let it go or its going to get messy (with the mess being MTB Guy), Thankfully MTB guy took my advice.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • On the way home last night, lairy Golf driver squeezes a guy on a MTB into the kerb. I am behind, and MTB guy proceeds to give the Golf Driver a bit of verbal.

Golf driver doesn't like it and purposely proceeds to swerve at MTB guy, and I can see that the golf guy laughing as he does it, after 2/3 times I shout at MTB guy to pull in behind Golf and to let it go or its going to get messy (with the mess being MTB Guy), Thankfully MTB guy took my advice.

Maybe this is me, but have you reported this to the police? Taken photo of the car/number plate etc?

Is this acceptable behaviour and the driver allowed to continue doing it?
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    On the way home last night, lairy Golf driver squeezes a guy on a MTB into the kerb. I am behind, and MTB guy proceeds to give the Golf Driver a bit of verbal.

Maybe this is me, but have you reported this to the police? Taken photo of the car/number plate etc?

Is this acceptable behaviour and the driver allowed to continue doing it?

Think it's worth doing this. Did a road safe report on a driver who (if I recall correctly) used his horn while sat at lights at the cyclists in the ASL, then swerved at me.
    Several months later got an email saying that he 'may' have a pattern of doing this, his name would be added to a number plate recognition system and cops might have a word with him if/when pulled over. I guess if the driver was in an actual accident with a cyclist this history may well come out...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I didn't get the plates or report it, i never really thought about it TBH.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    My only time of getting physical was outside school (I was young once) when the school bully tried to stop me leaving on my bike - so nothing to do with cars or road use ... I got off the bike, picked it up and threw it at him. Picked it up off the floor (leaving him there) and got on and rode off ... he didn't bother me again.
    But I wouldn't do that now - it was a situation where I knew him and he knew me, plus he was known to be just a bully.

I now run a camera on the front of the bike - looping video because I don't intend to need it - so if someone does act unlawfully in front of me then I will hopefully catch it on camera - I'm not talking about close passes and posting vigilante type videos to youtube , I'm thinking more about physical assaults either in or out of their car .. and using the video as evidence to present to the police/solicitors.
  • I did this once..... Cycling down Bishopsgate and an Addison Lee muppet came flying down the bike lane with his horn blaring expecting myself and 2 other cyclists to get out of the lane or die. As usual the red light a few metres further down the road had him stopped where I asked him through the window what the hell was he trying to accomplish. This only resulted in a torrent of verbal crap from his mouth. I continued up to the stop line and waited to turn left. As I turned left the muppet come screaming past and tried his best to clip me slightly. As he disappears off into the distance I gave him the finger which caused him to slow down and when I got close to passing him the drivers door opens up fully to try and knock me off. I stop, he closes the door and by this stage I'm as upset as the OP. Mr Addison Lee stupidly takes a swipe at me from inside his car, I shape up to hit him and he bricks it and jumps over his handbrake. Being worried that if I cycle off the muppet would try and collide with me again I grabbed the keys and started to head to the police station with them. Call me bad but I then figured that it would probably be me who gets charged so I just ditched them in the gutter. I doubt he found them :)

Normally I try and keep my calm but if someone puts my life in danger and then wants to continue past the point of it being an every day accident/SMIDSY I will do the same again. Officialdom can only be relied upon in my experience to come to your aid if you are seriously injured. Better to sort it out then and there I think......
  • noodles71 wrote:
    I did this once..... Cycling down Bishopsgate and an Addison Lee muppet came flying down the bike lane with his horn blaring expecting myself and 2 other cyclists to get out of the lane or die. As usual the red light a few metres further down the road had him stopped where I asked him through the window what the hell was he trying to accomplish. This only resulted in a torrent of verbal crap from his mouth. I continued up to the stop line and waited to turn left. As I turned left the muppet come screaming past and tried his best to clip me slightly. As he disappears off into the distance I gave him the finger which caused him to slow down and when I got close to passing him the drivers door opens up fully to try and knock me off. I stop, he closes the door and by this stage I'm as upset as the OP. Mr Addison Lee stupidly takes a swipe at me from inside his car, I shape up to hit him and he bricks it and jumps over his handbrake. Being worried that if I cycle off the muppet would try and collide with me again I grabbed the keys and started to head to the police station with them. Call me bad but I then figured that it would probably be me who gets charged so I just ditched them in the gutter. I doubt he found them :)

Normally I try and keep my calm but if someone puts my life in danger and then wants to continue past the point of it being an every day accident/SMIDSY I will do the same again. Officialdom can only be relied upon in my experience to come to your aid if you are seriously injured. Better to sort it out then and there I think......

Nice one...