Frame warranty replacment - potential dogs dinner!

Comments

• I know they are switching back to alloy chain stays for the 2014 model so seems like they just couldn't stop the carbon ones cracking.

The bike is amazing to ride both up and down but its so badly engineered.
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    lugsey2k5 wrote:
    Well back to the original post.

I have had this exact thing happen this year. The chain stay on my 2010 514 cracked. I took it back to a Evans cycles as i now live 250 mile away from the shop i bought it. They then took it in and were supposed to contact Hotlines about it, due to a series of screw ups 3 weeks later and they finally send an email.

Hotlines asked for pictures which Evans then sent,6 weeks later the assessor apparently finally finds time to look at the pictures and decides its a crack and a warranty issue. Evans rang and contacted me saying it will likely be a chain stay from a newer model at which point i asked him to enquire how much for a new frame. They got back to me and it was £300 for a new 2013 full carbon frame which i said yes to.

Evans told me everything would be transferable apart from the rear axle and headset. I bought a new ck tapered headset from a friend and was going to buy a axle once it arrived and i knew what it needed.

When the frame arrived i asked them to just install the headset and ill do the rest, after a 2 hour wait in the bike shop Evans tells me the headset is the wrong size and so is the one Lapierre supplied with the frame (which i wasn't told they would). Turned out the zesty uses a smaller outside diameter headset than most and hotlines didnt know this either hence the one coming with it not fitting either.

Once i eventually received the new frame i found it included adapters for the rear axle to convert it to qr, the shock bushings were a different size and the front mech didnt work properly with the new style of cable routing( which is terrible with 2 right angles in the rear mech cable).

All in all i was happy with the frame i got for £300 but the service from both Evans and Hotlines was terrible.
    Took me 14 weeks in total to get a working bike back in which time i bough a Dh bike to have something to ride.

Hope you have a better experience than i did.

The 2013 frame its very pretty and rides really well its just so badly designed. its massivly prone to cable rub that can destroy the frame at any moment and the cable routing is terrible, the rear mech has two sharp right angles in the cable around the chain stay making it very heavy and a little sluggish and the front enters the rear mech from below following another sharp 180 making it sluggish and will only get worse as it fills with water and dirt.

Good luck

think evans might have ripped you off there mate, i recently swapped a warranty frame for a cracked chainstay on a 2011 spicy and hotlines supplied the frame, headset, rear axle and a new pair of wheels.
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • Hotlines supplied adapters to change the frame to qr which is fair enough. And I was offered a new chainstay but wanted a new frame if it was cheap.
  • BS informed me that they have a replacement so frame will get fixed :) , although part will be in black, not white like original :(
    Apparently painting it is not an option - no reason given just that they don't.
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    msyates wrote:
    BS informed me that they have a replacement so frame will get fixed :) , although part will be in black, not white like original :(

I wouldn't be impressed with that at all.
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    cubedean wrote:
    msyates wrote:
    BS informed me that they have a replacement so frame will get fixed :) , although part will be in black, not white like original :(

I appreciate it may be frustrating and I'm not trying to wind anyone up but the fact the colour is different is just bad luck imo. Main thing is a fixed/sorted frame
  • cubedean wrote:
    msyates wrote:

NO me neither, if you got a new bonnet for your car, they wouldn't just bang a green one on a blue car would then

OP, its up to you really, cut your losses and accept a new but incorrectly colored frame, or ring up maker and say ohhhh, what gives, i want and have the right to be returned to the same position as i was before your frame malfunctioned
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Without going into SOGA etc, read the warranty:
    "Should the bicycle or any of its parts be determined to be covered by this warranty, it will be repaired or replaced with a new, identical or corresponding part. Lapierre cannot guarantee the availability of all frames and colors."
    And
    "In case of any compatibility problems with other parts due to a replacement frame not being identical to the original one, Lapierre will deliver, free of charge, compatible replacement parts, if the claim is made within 3 years of the original date of purchase of the bike. after these 3 years, the cost of these parts is at the owner’s expense should he accept the corresponding price quote."
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • msyates wrote:

All the parts will be pre-finished. You could protest and say your not happy with the colour and try for a front end as well, worth a go. From the beginning post though, at least it's just a different colour and not a 27.5 bike :)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    cooldad wrote:
    Good luck sending your Toyota back to Japan to have it fixed.

you mean Toyota UK which is who would deal with any warranty repair. I had to send a computer back to Germany because there is no UK arm of the company unlike Toyota. when my sigma lens was acting up I send it to the UK arm of the company but they had to send it back to japan to get it fixed.
  • cooldad
    Bad example. Obviously some of Slickmong's brain damage was rubbing off on me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Bad example. Obviously some of Slickm###'s brain damage was rubbing off on me.

I usually try and ignore puerile comments, BUT that is a term those would be GROSSLY offensive to many people certainly to those that have disabled children, and is quite possibly a criminal offence to use on a public forum, as such I cant let it lie and will be reporting it to the site admin, and if that doesnt bring action my local police as an offence under the missuse of computers act
  • slickmouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I usually try and ignore puerile comments, BUT that is a term those would be GROSSLY offensive to many people certainly to those that have disabled children, and is quite possibly a criminal offence to use on a public forum, as such I cant let it lie and will be reporting it to the site admin, and if that doesnt bring action my local police as an offence under the missuse of computers act

Pretty certain it's not illegal to use a word....
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • cooldad
    Bloody predictive text - now it predicts what I think. The only misuse of computer is whoever turns his on for him.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • slickmouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

you dont read the papers then ?, its not illegal to say anything in private. but internet forums are defined in law as public places (sic) and are there for bound by the provisions of the public order act, if you cant stand shouting it on a street corner without getting your collar felt, you cant say it on a public forum either
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you can prove you're not brain damaged then you may have a point. I suspect you'd struggle to do that though.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    slickmouse wrote:
    slickmouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

you dont read the papers then ?, its not illegal to say anything in private. but internet forums are defined in law as public places (sic) and are there for bound by the provisions of the public order act, if you cant stand shouting it on a street corner without getting your collar felt, you cant say it on a public forum either

I am pretty sure you can use the term "mong" in the street and not be arrested in the same way as I hear f**k and c**t on the street all the time without the riot police stepping in to restore order. I believe the recent cases of police acting against people using twitter and other such systems was in relation to threats of rape and murder against people which seems reasonable enough. I dont think anyone calling someone a mong will get too much heat on them disgraceful as you may find that.

Back on topic - fixed bike within terms of warranty = winner.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    slickmouse wrote:
    my local police as an offence under the missuse of computers act

I don't think so:
    From Wiki

The Computer Misuse Act came into effect in 1990. Sections 1-3 of the Act introduced three criminal offences:[

- unauthorised access to computer material, punishable by 6 months' imprisonment or a fine "not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale" (currently £5000);
    - unauthorised access with intent to commit or facilitate commission of further offences, punishable by 6 months/maximum fine on summary conviction or 5 years/fine on indictment;
    - unauthorised modification of computer material, subject to the same sentences as section 2 offences.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    slickmouse wrote:

I don't think so:
    From Wiki

The Computer Misuse Act came into effect in 1990. Sections 1-3 of the Act introduced three criminal offences:[

- unauthorised access to computer material, punishable by 6 months' imprisonment or a fine "not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale" (currently £5000);
    - unauthorised access with intent to commit or facilitate commission of further offences, punishable by 6 months/maximum fine on summary conviction or 5 years/fine on indictment;
    - unauthorised modification of computer material, subject to the same sentences as section 2 offences.

I was that offended i wrote the wrong act

The Malicious Communications Act 1988 section 1, see Stones 8.20830, deals with the sending to another of any article which is indecent or grossly offensive, or which conveys a threat, or which is false, provided there is an intent to cause distress or anxiety to the recipient. The offence covers letters, writing of all descriptions, electronic communications, photographs and other images in a material form, tape recordings, films and video recordings. Poison-pen letters are usually covered.

i

but anyway, after taking advice ive been told to report it under public order act section 4 as a hate crime, which requires the police to investigate it and interview you
  • cooldad
    I take offense at the term grossly offensive - I may have been naked whilst typing, which I admit may be considered indecent, but calling my body grossly offensive is hurtful and grossly offensive.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    slickmouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    slickmouse wrote:

I don't think so:
    From Wiki

The Malicious Communications Act 1988 section 1, see Stones 8.20830, deals with the sending to another of any article which is indecent or grossly offensive, or which conveys a threat, or which is false, provided there is an intent to cause distress or anxiety to the recipient. The offence covers letters, writing of all descriptions, electronic communications, photographs and other images in a material form, tape recordings, films and video recordings. Poison-pen letters are usually covered.

i

but anyway, after taking advice ive been told to report it under public order act section 4 as a hate crime, which requires the police to investigate it and interview you

please tell me you are actually being serious :lol:
  • slickmouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    slickmouse wrote:

I don't think so:
    From Wiki

i

Are you joking? Please tell me you are joking? If not that could quite possibly be the biggest waste of police time ever. People are being burgled, murdered and assaulted but it's ok that can wait because of some innocuous, non-malicious comment, as there is no intent to cause any distress or anxiety and he hasn't threatened you in any way. Grow a pair. I sort of hope you get arrested for wasting police time.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Did the above seriously happen here?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Yes some people rather than giving advice and sharing experience enjoy making offhand comments and just arguing with people. I just ignore them as most people on here do.
  • cooldad
    And some people wait a week and make offhand comments.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Out of jail already CD?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    No jail time, just a bit of a spanking. But it was so worth it.
    police-lady-tutu-kit-30722.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    I was thinking prisoners probably get free wifi as not having it would be an abuse of their human rights or something.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    :lol:
    cooldad wrote:
    No jail time, just a bit of a spanking. But it was so worth it.
    police-lady-tutu-kit-30722.jpg

What did she do with her truncheon?
  • In before the lock.

Dickmouse - How did your conversation with the rozzers go?..........

Dickmouse: A bad man said a naughty word on teh internets, go arrest him! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
    Rozzers: Fcuk off you mong!

What about the well known bike brand Mongoose? does that offend you?
    How about the place, Mongolia (inner or outer)?

What if Cooldad was riding his Mongoose in Mongolia amongst cheesemongers?

Did your head just explode?

You mong.
This discussion has been closed.