road kill

2»

Comments

• Saw a dog and wild hog lying next to each other...confused me how they died together.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    dnwhite88 wrote:
    IanREmery wrote:
    Earlier in the summer I watched a squirrel run across the road about 20 yards in front of me.

Straight under the front wheel of a car going in the opposite direction. *Splat*

Another *splat* as the back wheel got him as well. The tail gave one final death twitch before settling on the road.

Was quite sad tbh. Stupid bloody animal.

This happened right in front of me the other week!

Also seen a pheasant vs a lorry (although that was in a car) and a pheasant vs a car when I was on the bike...it literally popped...gave me the heebie jeebies for ages, horrible sound.

Oh an I've hit a rabbit at 5am on a winters morning on my bike doing 20MPH, thankfully it just missed my front wheel and I ran over it with the back so I didn't come off but I didn't look back to see if I'd killed it!
  • Not quite riding, but on roads I ride fairly often. Was running late to work with a friend driving (country lanes, national limit) so were shifting some. Saw a branch in the road ahead, looked small enough to carry on through, got about 20ft from it, realised it was a family of ducks......after that all we saw was a cloud of feathers behind. Made it to work on time, but felt quite bad about it.
  • kwi wrote:
    tootsie323 wrote:
    dave02 wrote:
    plenty of stuff out there to discover, keep riding, the dead body wins this round
    What is going to trump that? I'll hae to keep my eyes peeled for a stray mammoth...
    I cycled past a dead Sei whale on a beach the other day, but it probably don't count as it wasn't on the road.
    Perhaps not - but I am mighty impressed!

... that does come across as a bit sadistic, actually.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    IanREmery wrote:
    Earlier in the summer I watched a squirrel run across the road about 20 yards in front of me.

Straight under the front wheel of a car going in the opposite direction. *Splat*

Another *splat* as the back wheel got him as well. The tail gave one final death twitch before settling on the road.

Was quite sad tbh. Stupid bloody animal.

It's interesting to put your head at the same level as, say, a squirrel or rabbit and then look down the road. It's basically impossible for them to see anything coming along the ground at more than a few MPH, particularly without stereo vision. No wonder the little sods get splatted.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Passed a dead cow going through some country lanes just outside of Exeter, bloody stank and had obviously been there a while :|
  • dave02
    dave02 Posts: 325
    i think there is a book or a movie to be made out of this. some of this stuff is preeeety nasty is there any funny stuff just to balance things, i saw what was presumably a MARRIED couple having a barny as they were riding in front of me, she lashed out and hit him in the head knocked him into the hedge and carried on going, as i passed him he was crying (proper tears) so i left him alone as i overtook her she was f ing and blinding. fun day out
  • Most of my winter riding is pitch dark rural. There's been loads of badgers on my evening rides and last week I had my closest shave for ages, missing running over the nose of a badger by a few cm.

They're pretty low to the ground so I've been practicing bunny hops (badger hops?) in the event of needing to take evasive action!

Joking apart, hitting a creature on a pitch dark downhill when miles from home (possibly with no mobile reception and no passing traffic) is a potentially serious situation.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    Did a road race in the Forest of Dean once in the early 90s. We were doing about 40mph down a descent outside Coleford just before the climb to Speech House when a sheep ambled across in front of the bunch. It caused predictable carnage with 4 or 5 riders going down after a couple of bikes hit it. I took evasive action on the verge only to hit a drainage ditch and get catapulted down a bank and into a tree. From what I was told afterwards the sheep just shook itself and carried on across the road.....only to be hit and killed by the commissaires car that had gone down the right hand side to avoid hitting the riders.
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    Forest of Dean is a nightmare for sheep, they have the right of way so hitting them is a right pain in more ways than one.
  • dave02
    come on guys give us a laugh, funny stories needed
  • Had a near miss with a sheep last night. Was lying on the left side of the road right where bikes would normally ride, I assume having recently been hit by a car. Luckily I was riding slightly more centrally than usual. Stupidly enough, at the time I was 'dipping' my front light with one hand to prevent dazzling oncoming drivers so never saw it coming. Wouldn't have had time to react had it been in my path and could have been quite a nasty fall. Shamefully, I never even thought about the danger to other cyclists until I was home. So if you're out over Standedge descending into Marsden/Diggle watch out! Now saving for a couple of better lights, banning myself from any night riding until I have them setup properly and refusing to get anywhere near the 40mph average KOM speed on Strava in case there are any more suicidal sheep about.
  • dave02
    have u thought wat ur bike would look like if you hit anything at 40mph, slow down man, there are hedgehogs just looking for a chance to do harm !