road kill

dave02
dave02 Posts: 325
edited September 2013 in Road general
further on from my encounter with hedgehogs, i was just wondering whats the weirdest thing youv seen/hit while out on the road. i assume no responsibility for your safety if it was the mtb hogs, :roll:
«1

Comments

  • a peacock stuck its head out of a hedge and scared me on a ride in the lakes. Most unexpected !!!
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • andyk19
    andyk19 Posts: 170
    I fell over sideways when learning to use clip ins, I turned my head to the left as I lay on the ground and realised my head was only inches above a deceased and decomposing badger...
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I saw a dead person just as the police were setting up the crime scene tent to put round it!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I saw a dead person just as the police were setting up the crime scene tent to put round it!

    Seriously? That's messed up.

    The strangest one I have seen is a pig... not sure how it got near a road.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    dai_t75 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I saw a dead person just as the police were setting up the crime scene tent to put round it!

    Seriously? That's messed up.

    The strangest one I have seen is a pig... not sure how it got near a road.

    yep, afraid so, was early in the morning a couple of years ago, apparently was a homeless guy and it was during the really cold spell we had winter 2010/11
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    I came across a cow and her calf on local French roads. The road was so narrow we couldn't get past so we slowly cycled ahead but the cow kept going ahead of us. Eventually after about 2 miles we came to a village. The cow and calf headed for the village green and we slipped past.

    I wonder if they ever got home.
  • iplod
    iplod Posts: 83
    Created my own roadkill by riding over a squirrel that tried to dash across the road in front of me.
    SOLITUDE. It's not for everyone.

    Trek 5.2 madone 2007
    Ribble audax/winter 2010
    Bianchi infinto 2012
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Any one else see the hedgehog on the ToB yesterday - or doesn't that count.
  • I was recovering after a climb on my usual ride early one morning and had to swerve violently to avoid a 6ft python!!
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    A row of dead kittens along the A26 Ballymena, some arse must of decided to get rid of them by slinging from his speeding car at regular intervals.
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    About a month ago a dead cat on a back road with its head twisted round 180 and its eyes wide open giving it a shocked expression. Really creepy looking, I had to look away as I road past.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • More snakes then I can remember, quite a few flat cats and a rather large bloated dead dog on my peddling trip to Spain this year....smelt the dog before I saw it
  • Phil562 wrote:
    More snakes then I can remember, quite a few flat cats and a rather large bloated dead dog on my peddling trip to Spain this year....smelt the dog before I saw it


    Yep seen loads of snakes this summer, quite a few cats too, but no dogs thankfully!!
  • Lots of young pheasants running around the roads down my way at the moment. They wont be there in a few months......
  • Just missed riding over a dead frog flat on its back with its legs in the air today. Luckily I just managed to swerve to avoid it, don't like the thought of its innards splatting all over me and my bike- eewwww!!!
  • dave02
    dave02 Posts: 325
    plenty of stuff out there to discover, keep riding, the dead body wins this round
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    My friend had a blackbird hitting the spokes, decapitated the poor creature.
  • A dead deer tonight, stench was horrendous.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Navrig wrote:
    I came across a cow and her calf on local French roads. The road was so narrow we couldn't get past so we slowly cycled ahead but the cow kept going ahead of us. Eventually after about 2 miles we came to a village. The cow and calf headed for the village green and we slipped past.

    I wonder if they ever got home.

    give it a rest, you've been going on about that until the cows come home!!!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • dave02
    dave02 Posts: 325
    any one got any udder stories about cows, (i know' but if got a headache) if so lets take the bull by the horns and get them out the way, (harry hill, give me a call)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,427
    dai_t75 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I saw a dead person just as the police were setting up the crime scene tent to put round it!

    Seriously? That's messed up.

    The strangest one I have seen is a pig... not sure how it got near a road.

    Must be a Welsh thing, I saw a club mate in front of me on one ride and was catching him up when he suddenly swerved across the road. Turns out a pig had run across in front of him.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,427
    Went to a race once and my mate had travelled up in another car with bikes on the roof. When I got there he was poking at his cassette with a stick - turned out a bird had flown into it and was splattered in the back wheel, cassette and rear mech.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Once drove to a pub to meet up with work mates and watch the football, yes I was drinking coke. Anyway the football went to extra time, then penalties.

    On the drive home, a small deer ran out in front of me and rearranged the front of my car.

    What makes you think.... If the football did not go to extra time or penalties, then the deer and I would have been in different places at different times and we would have never met.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Worst thing I've seen is a dear that had been hit a car which was obviously pregnant because its unborn foetus was 15ft further down the road. Was grim.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Once had a large dragonfly go through my front wheel. At least with aerospokes it was cleanly cut in half. Sounded like paper being scrunched.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    DavidJB wrote:
    Worst thing I've seen is a dear that had been hit a car which was obviously pregnant because its unborn foetus was 15ft further down the road. Was grim.

    either it was a 'deer' or you saw a dead pensioner and her unborn child! either way its pretty grim!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • dave02 wrote:
    plenty of stuff out there to discover, keep riding, the dead body wins this round
    What is going to trump that? I'll hae to keep my eyes peeled for a stray mammoth...
  • Earlier in the summer I watched a squirrel run across the road about 20 yards in front of me.

    Straight under the front wheel of a car going in the opposite direction. *Splat*

    Another *splat* as the back wheel got him as well. The tail gave one final death twitch before settling on the road.

    Was quite sad tbh. Stupid bloody animal.
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    tootsie323 wrote:
    dave02 wrote:
    plenty of stuff out there to discover, keep riding, the dead body wins this round
    What is going to trump that? I'll hae to keep my eyes peeled for a stray mammoth...
    I cycled past a dead Sei whale on a beach the other day, but it probably don't count as it wasn't on the road.
  • IanREmery wrote:
    Earlier in the summer I watched a squirrel run across the road about 20 yards in front of me.

    Straight under the front wheel of a car going in the opposite direction. *Splat*

    Another *splat* as the back wheel got him as well. The tail gave one final death twitch before settling on the road.

    Was quite sad tbh. Stupid bloody animal.

    This happened right in front of me the other week!
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"