Thoughts on ios7?

Mikey23
Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
edited September 2013 in The cake stop
iPad crashed while downloading which meant I had to do a full restore... So wasn't too pleased initially
Seems ok to me on first inspection and some nice eye candy but not really discovered anything earth shattering yet. What are your impressions?.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    both phone and pad crashed. think it was a feature.

like the easy access to the torch and iTunes radio looks interesting but not on the pad.

but they do feel a bit like "my first phone",
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mikey23
    Ooh I forgot about the radio thingy... Not on iPad though?
  • Mikey23
    Ayah, only in the flipping us
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and not really on the phone as it has disappeared.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    As a technology Luddite is it worth downloading on iPad, only really use the thing for general browsing, what will ios7 do for me or will I not notice?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Battery didnt last as long as before and before was bad.
    Colours are too bright, needs ability to change without writing osx code.
    Took nearly a day until answerphone worked.

Im on the fence at the moment.
    Living MY dream.
  • Mikey23
    @a ...it's slicker and looks quite good. But I don't think it has anything in it that you didn't have before or could do without. I would wait a few days before you download it as all the world and his father is at the moment and download times can be quite long. Son has had his mini plugged in for 4 hours now and still not finished...
    All the flashy gizmos can be switched off if you don't like them
  • I believe Apple, and all and that was good about the company died along with Steve Jobs. I have owned 2 iPhones , 3 iPods and wife had an iPad2. Its Samsung and Android all the way now. iOS is just too dated and a Microsoftesque papering over the cracks fools no one.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Thanks Mikey, I'll leave it a bit then especially if I probably won't notice much difference :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Mikey23
    It is a bit like randomly tuning in to cbeebies!
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Just trying to update iTunes atm which seems to be a battle in itself. Am not impressed with the screenshots I saw on LinkedIn. Not really in a hurry to do it.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Updated the iPad and gaah - it's horrible. Garish colours, flat & lifeless. And the keyboard looks like a protoype.
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    loving it.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Upgraded my wife's work Ipad and I've finally concluded that there is nothing Apple can to to rescue this awful operating system for me.

It is surprising to see just how far Apple have fallen in terms of innovation. Google with the likes of Samsung has them on the run in terms of features and sales and this latest OS shows Apple has long lost its creative mojo as well.

Happens to everyone eventually though. Look at Microsoft and Nokia as recent examples.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • VTech
    Anyone else here with kids wonder why safari web browser doesn't have parental control to stop kids viewing explicit material ?
    Living MY dream.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    so, its an overwhelming thumbs up for iOs7 from the bikeRadar jury then
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Daz555 wrote:
    Happens to everyone eventually though. Look at Microsoft and Nokia as recent examples.

Quite so, who would have thought 10 years ago that Microsoft would be struggling (relatively speaking) and that Nokia would have hit so many problems they ended up selling up.

I have an iPhone 4S and I'm prepared to consider other phones like Samsung, however I'd never buy another Nokia after a series of terrible phones with awful operating systems. Culminating in the N97 which was supposed to be their answer to the iPhone, but when I eventually did get an iPhone it was like night and day.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    I get whatever phone work dishes out. Sorry to say that its blackberry at the moment, having had an iphone for the last few years i want impressed.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    By the way, I can't be the only one on here that thinks that the new Settings icon looks like a compact chain ring.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Looks a bit cartoony so I won't be installing it on my phone.My daughter has just inherited my old 4S and she's undecided at the moment.
  • Upgrade worked fine on the iPad, but the missus's iPhone 5 errored while it was restoring, so had to reset it and try again, which worked ok apart from some of her apps were missing.

As for the look of it, well, it saves me buying one of these for my daughter:
    79119011_H.jpg?identifier=17a27272d9d53953cbf6d182310e95ec
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It LOOKS awful.

It looks like the only people who it will truly appeal to are Girls, Gay Men, and Kids.

Of course, a lot of Apple customers can't decide whether they like the look of something or not because they already believe that because it is Apple, it is stylish.

The only 'more adult' LOOKING interfaces at the moment out-of-the box seem to be HTC's attempts at Android skinning or Blackberry's BB10.

...just out of interest I went by an Apple Store at lunchtime, and speaking to one of the staff, they said the queue this morning stretched quite a way, and they sold out of the iPhone 5S before everyone in the queue got them... BUT... so I was told (and I believe this) that not one person had queued for a 5C. (seeing as the 5C is gaudy and colourful, I suppose Apple iPhone customers know they don't want 'gaudy and colourful' but now they are all stuck with it on their iPhones and iPads as far as the interface goes!).

Oh, and also Jony Ive(?) on Apple's promotional videos comes across as a slow talking, insincere, patronising tw@t.
  • Mikey23
    Girls, gays and kids huh... Should be popular round here then

I'm a little disappointed with the 5c ... I ain't going to pay stoopid money for an iPhone contract but thought it might be worth buying one if it's a cut down version at a sensible price. I should have known better....
  • I ditched my iphone quite some time ago, I am slowly moving away from my iPad, and I use my windows laptop much more than my Mac. I am slowly moving away from my Apple products as they are quickly becoming bored of icrap.
  • VTech
    The problem is, you need a mac to do most of the cpu intensive work.
    If a normal laptop could do the work a mac did we would be cooking on gas but as it is were cooking on twigs and leaves.

I cant believe im saying it but im getting sick of ilife.
    Living MY dream.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    VTech wrote:
    If a normal laptop could do the work a mac did we would be cooking on gas but as it is were cooking on twigs and leaves.

Pedant alert.

You'll cook much quicker on twigs than gas. I know this from my boy scout days.
  • VTech
    morstar wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Pedant alert.

You'll cook much quicker on twigs than gas. I know this from my boy scout days.

Come round my place, you collect as many twigs as you like and I guarantee that ill be eating my warm beans on toast way faster than you on your sticks :)
    I learnt that from my cold, wet, exhausting days in the scouts :mrgreen:
    (although, I really did have wonderful times back them)
    Living MY dream.
  • Mikey23
    Interesting ... Has this guy got not better to do with his life though...
  • It looks properly shit

And my battery seems to run down more now than before I installed it.