I saw a forum user jumping a red light today

Comments

• junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    edited September 2013
    gabriel959 wrote:
    JoeNobody wrote:
    If riding through an amber is RLJ'ing, then that's news to me;
    I'm quite happy to be proved wrong on this, and I haven't checked the Highway Code, but I believe this is correct. At least, the only colour you should be proceeding under is green. All others pretty much mean "stop if safe to do so". Just you're unlikely to get in to trouble for proceeding on amber. That's just my understanding though and, as I said, happy to be proved wrong :)

In that case, I hold my hands up; didn't know amber was RLJ'ing.

Even so, the Chinese students "pedestrian crossing RLJ'd", and is the only reason I remember the incident fairly clearly as they simply walked straight across the junction right in front of me without a care in the world.... I looked up and the man was clearly still red.

You looked wrong. It was green.

Sorry buddy, how the hell did you see what colour the pedestrian lights were? AND see the colour of the traffic lights you claim I jumped?

So I'm guessing you were behind me or something? Therefore, you stopped at the lights you claim I jumped? If so, the view of the pedestrian crossing lights you would have had was this:

Untitled.jpg

Zoomed view of the right hand lights:
    Untitled_zoom_right.jpg

and the left hand lights (this is the said crossing where the pedestrians walked straight out from to get to the central reservation)...
    Untitled_zoom_left.jpg

Unless you have mirror folding vision capabilities as well as community officer special powers, I don't believe you could see the colour of those lights? ....Just saying
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Indeed. I've had plenty of instances where I could have stopped, but it was clear that had I done so, would have been punted through the lights by the tailgating motorist or indeed other cyclist. Actually, now I think of it, I've had at least one driver screech to a halt behind me and then comment that he didn't expect me to stop, plus several shunts from inattentive cyclists. I'd argue that the perception that cyclists are likely to jump red lights is actually making it more dangerous for us. That said, I'd challenge anyone, motorised or otherwise to swear hand on heart that they've never run a red, even if unintentionally.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Confession, I knew that, according to the letter of he law, you shouldn't squeeze through lights on amber but I still do it. I'm in the camp that thinks, if done sensibly, riding through red lights doesnt have to be dangerous BUT it is rude and obnoxious and pisses people off so I dont do it. My feeling is that most people are much more tolerant of squeezing through on amber (because nearly everyone does it to some extent) and therefore it doesn't have the same negative consequences.

I do think swerving through peds on a crossing is beyond the pale though.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    rjsterry wrote:
    Indeed. I've had plenty of instances where I could have stopped, but it was clear that had I done so, would have been punted through the lights by the tailgating motorist or indeed other cyclist. Actually, now I think of it, I've had at least one driver screech to a halt behind me and then comment that he didn't expect me to stop, plus several shunts from inattentive cyclists. I'd argue that the perception that cyclists are likely to jump red lights is actually making it more dangerous for us. That said, I'd challenge anyone, motorised or otherwise to swear hand on heart that they've never run a red, even if unintentionally.
    I can say hand on heart I've never run a red. Although under scrutiny I will fold, admit to it and in my defence, pretend not have read or understand the Highway Code.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    jedster wrote:

Some people cycle pretty recklessly around pedestrians. I saw a grown man try and squeeze through a rapidly closing gap between someone pushing a pram and an elderly couple under Wellington Arch yesterday, he had to dismount the bike to prevent an accident and then he had gall to berate the pedestrians for not looking out where they were going.

Only an idiot would attribute that kind of behaviour to the fact he was a cyclist, and assume other cyclists are the same. He was a tosser before he got on the bike.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Have the police been alerted? Or at the very least, Matthew's parents?

I'm prepared to be a witness and can back the OP's statement 100% if necessary.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I didn't realise you had to stop on amber,

I wouldn't worry too much about not knowing, around 25 million motorists don't know either.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • I'm slightly touchy because someone in an Astra who just thought he'd squeak through a recently changed light hit the front of my car at 50mph. If I'd been a split second quicker away from the lights myself, he'd have hit my door and I'd have been dead for about 25 years. That, coincidently, was on Cherry Hinton Way in Cambridge.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rubertoe wrote:
    I dont think that we should turn this into a witch hunt against J_M. It was clearly a mistake and he was unaware of the rulez, as was I!

<scrape> <scrape> Whut? <scrape> <scrape> (checks blade edge.....)

but we've not a had good Witch hunt in aaaaages.... A bit of unreasoned vituperation is good for the soul.

<scrape> <scrape>
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • notsoblue wrote:
    jedster wrote:

Some people cycle pretty recklessly around pedestrians. I saw a grown man try and squeeze through a rapidly closing gap between someone pushing a pram and an elderly couple under Wellington Arch yesterday, he had to dismount the bike to prevent an accident and then he had gall to berate the pedestrians for not looking out where they were going.

I 100% agree with both comments.

Let's clear this up..... When OP said "swerved through pedestrians" (or however it was worded), this is what actually happened: A bunch of chinese students were walking in groups towards the crossing; a few who got there first noticed there were no cars and had already started crossing as I went through the amber light. Thinking the others would see me and wait to cross, they decided they would follow suit and just walk straight out right in front of me. As I swerved around them, I also glanced over at the light to double check and it was a red man light... That's the only reason I remember this incident.

I'm not saying I wasn't at fault at all, maybe the light changed to red as I passed through it (it was definitely still amber when I looked as I was very close to going though).
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    edited September 2013
    rubertoe wrote:
    I dont think that we should turn this into a witch hunt against J_M. It was clearly a mistake and he was unaware of the rulez, as was I!

<scrape> <scrape> Whut? <scrape> <scrape> (checks blade edge.....)

but we've not a had good Witch hunt in aaaaages.... A bit of unreasoned vituperation is good for the soul.

<scrape> <scrape>

It's more fun than a helmet debate

ETA You WERE wearing a helmet weren't you, Matty....? :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    It's more fun than a helmet debate
    RLJ is much safer if you're wearing a helmet.
  • rubertoe wrote:

vituperation

Is that word of the day? Are you on a drive to increase your vocab by learning and using a new word every day?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Meanwhile over on the OWN channel, there is an exclusive:
    Oprah: Yes or no. Did you, in any of your 3 years of commuting, jump a red light to gain an advantage..?
    Pitchshifter: Yes

Oprah: Yes or no. Did you in any of your 3 years of commuting break the speed limit in Richmond park..?

Oprah: Yes or No. Did you ever do any other boo-boos you are deeply ashamed of.?

Now for some ads... Stay tuned for more exclusive revelations about this disgraced cyclist.
  • Meanwhile over on the OWN channel, there is an exclusive:
    Oprah: Yes or no. Did you, in any of your 3 years of commuting, jump a light to gain an advantage..?

Oprah: Yes or no. Did you in any of your 3 years of commuting break the speed limit in Richmond park..?

Oprah: Yes or No. Did you ever do any other boo-boos you are deeply ashamed of.?

Now for some ads... Stay tuned for more exclusive revelations about this disgraced cyclist.

BURN THE HERETIC!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rubertoe wrote:

vituperation

Is that word of the day? Are you on a drive to increase your vocab by learning and using a new word every day?

Maybe you could look up patronising, or possibly supercilious.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rubertoe wrote:

vituperation

Maybe you could look up patronising, or possibly supercilious.

No, you lost me... Too many syllables
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    rubertoe wrote:

+1

It wasn't my original intention although in hindsight I appreciate that was always going to be the outcome to some degree.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • ETA You WERE wearing a helmet weren't you, Matty....? :wink:

Nah, I'm far too Evil Kinevil for helmets ;)
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

+1

It wasn't my original intention although in hindsight I appreciate that was always going to be the outcome to some degree.

Well, the next time you see me (probably at a RL - I'll be the one jumping it ;)), feel free to say hello; I don't hold any grudges!
  • gabriel959
    seanoconn wrote:
    Have the police been alerted? Or at the very least, Matthew's parents?

I'm prepared to be a witness and can back the OP's statement 100% if necessary.

I called Batman the other day and he is on his way. :twisted:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 wrote:
    JoeNobody wrote:
    If riding through an amber is RLJ'ing, then that's news to me;
    I'm quite happy to be proved wrong on this, and I haven't checked the Highway Code, but I believe this is correct. At least, the only colour you should be proceeding under is green. All others pretty much mean "stop if safe to do so". Just you're unlikely to get in to trouble for proceeding on amber. That's just my understanding though and, as I said, happy to be proved wrong :)

In that case, I hold my hands up; didn't know amber was RLJ'ing.

Even so, the Chinese students "pedestrian crossing RLJ'd", and is the only reason I remember the incident fairly clearly as they simply walked straight across the junction right in front of me without a care in the world.... I looked up and the man was clearly still red.

You looked wrong. It was green.

Sorry buddy, how the hell did you see what colour the pedestrian lights were? AND see the colour of the traffic lights you claim I jumped?

So I'm guessing you were behind me or something? Therefore, you stopped at the lights you claim I jumped? If so, the view of the pedestrian crossing lights you would have had was this:

Untitled.jpg

Zoomed view of the right hand lights:
    Untitled_zoom_right.jpg

and the left hand lights (this is the said crossing where the pedestrians walked straight out from to get to the central reservation)...
    Untitled_zoom_left.jpg

Unless you have mirror folding vision capabilities as well as community officer special powers, I don't believe you could see the colour of those lights? ....Just saying

I wasn't in any of those places, and I was moving at that point ;)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959 wrote:

Were you in a hot air balloon!?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    gabriel959 wrote:

Do they have to stop at red lights?
  • gabriel959 wrote:

• gabriel959 wrote:

Are you a Chinese student?!
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I think "little" misdemeanors by motorists like speeding, parking illegally, talking on the mob whilst driving etc are somehow accepted as the norm and somehow harmless...

Seriously dude? By people on here? I don't think so! I think people on here are pretty consistent about their vitriol for law breaking generally...
  • corriebee1 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

Are you a Chinese student?!

In other news, I jumped a red light today but in my defense there were no Chinese students or other persons crossing nor would I have been hit by another vehicle.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • mroli wrote:
    I think "little" misdemeanors by motorists like speeding, parking illegally, talking on the mob whilst driving etc are somehow accepted as the norm and somehow harmless...

Seriously dude? By people on here? I don't think so! I think people on here are pretty consistent about their vitriol for law breaking generally...

No I meant outside this forum, in the big wide world... Well certainly in London, if you ever look at the comments section after an article about cycling it's all anger and vitriol about cyclists RLJing, running down peds, causing motorists to crash, not paying road tax etc etc. If an alien came down and was able to read these comments without actually knowing what a "cyclist" or a "motorist" they could be forgiven for believing that cyclists were the evil killers on the road responsible for death and destruction across London
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Anyway,

Are we still lynching J_M?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills