I saw a forum user jumping a red light today

gabriel959
gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
Sigh.

What else kind I say. It was in a 4 way crossroads and he also jumped a pedestrian crossing and had to weave through the pedestrians in order not to hit them.

Very poor show.
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra

Comments

• Name and shame..... :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gabriel959
    At first I was going to do it but I would prefer them to come here and admit it.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Well, if you're in Cambridge that eliminates a large proportion from the off.
  • gabriel959
    Exactly.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Shame there isn't a disappointed face icon, this would be the time to use it,

I'd give them a bit of time to own up and then name and shame.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • At least name the junction for those of us familiar with Cambridge - Gonville Place?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gabriel959
    Kings hedges with Milton Road.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    Kings hedges with Milton Road.

....part of my commute 30 years ago!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Cambridge you say?...

If this person was wearing a basketball kit, could it only be because they were the team's waterboy?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gabriel959
    Hahaha no he wears Castelli kit and rides a canyon!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    Hahaha no he wears Castelli kit and rides a canyon!

Phew. That's me out of trouble!

Did have my first bit of propr SCR'ing out of Cambridge yesterday though, which was fun

(In that i jumped on someone's wheel going through the Shelfords and wouldn't let him drop me!)
  • gabriel959
    I'll name and shame - junglist_matty
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    but in his defence ................................................ he saw you coming .... ;)
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    gabriel959 wrote:

{looks up from sharpening pitchfork}
    Is there a freudian_matty?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I has a nice piece of hangin' ropes ya can borra........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    gabriel959 wrote:

When do we get to throw the rocks :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • gabriel959
    hahaha, my guess is that he hasn't seen this!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    Phew - not me either - although I did do a split second (red turning to amber) RLJ on Victoria Avenue having come over the bridge this morning when there was no ped traffic aroud... (How did the crossing turn red??)
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I stopped at a green this morning. Does that count?

Was rolling up to it just as the cars ahead had all gone through and it changed to red with me 10 yards short, then it instantly went back to amber --> green, by which time I'd unclipped & stopped.
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    hahaha, my guess is that he hasn't seen this!

Not likely. I took him out with a sniper rifle from my office window on Regent Street, and buried the body on Parkers Piece. :evil:
  • That's an odd junction to RLJ: I commute along Milton road and my impression is more cars jump the red lights there than bikes (normally of the 'that light 100 yards ahead has just turned amber so that means accelerate to 40 so I can say I couldn't stop in time when it turns red' variety). Twice cars have nearly taken me out there because I decided to stop and they squeezed past me a second or two AFTER the light turned red.

Sadly cyclists do red light jump with depressing frequency elsewhere in Cambridge.
  • gabriel959
    Indeed, what made it worse is the fact that he had to weave through the pedestrians in order to avoid them. That is just very poor.

I often get overtaken by cyclists that do not like waiting at reds but who moments after get overtaken again when the lights turn green.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • CiB wrote:

Was rolling up to it just as the cars ahead had all gone through and it changed to red with me 10 yards short, then it instantly went back to amber --> green, by which time I'd unclipped & stopped.
    Many modern traffic lights have an audio sensor that responds to the sound of a pedal unclipping by turning green.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    CiB wrote:

Many modern traffic lights have an audio sensor that responds to the sound of a pedal unclipping by turning green.

I thought it was a secret button on the floor that detects the moment you unclip and put your foot on the floor.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    Sigh.

What else kind I say. It was in a 4 way crossroads and he also jumped a pedestrian crossing and had to weave through the pedestrians in order not to hit them.

Very poor show.
    how sad are you.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    how sad are you.
    I think he's sad, disappointed, feels let down and questioning the worth of his fellow cyclist commuting brethren.
  • I for one am disappointed he didn't go after him, rugby tackle him to the ground (if you can rugby tackle someone on a bike...?) and perform a citizens arrest.

I tell you, we need more vigilantes to keep the streets safe. :?

Albeit the other half of me thinks of the trusted phrase, Snitches get Stitches. :roll:
  • Well I for one get pi55ed off with being tarred by the "cyclists ignore red lights" brush (ironically by the guys who run me off the back roads of the Highlands where there are never any police to enforce standards). Some cyclists, I suppose, you can forgive for ignorance, but no one on this forum can have failed to be aware that RLJing is illegal or what it does for the motorists' perception of cyclists.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Oh MRS, haven't you learned yet?

The only way to get away safely is to jump the lights.

Sad, but some people believe this to be the truth.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    It's quite encouraging that the tide now seems to be turning against RLJT's (Red Light Jumping Tw@ts) on this forum.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]