1 F***ing day!

2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Move the focus to Wales. Less traffic, locals are slightly less surly, hills are bigger and there's more weather.

What the "gateway" towns for the best road riding in Wales, i.e. the places where you can easily drive to from the motorways, or get to easily via mainline train services, and get accommodation, bike shops andlocal amenities? there has to be more to riding in Wales than mountain biking trail centres and the Dragon ride: happy to be educated...

There were road closures in Abergavenny for the Grand Prix of Wales. The finishing circuit was shut off for about 5 hours which left quite a chunk of residential area at the northern end of the town cut off. There were a few people complaining but it certainly didn't generate the level of opposition that Surrey seems to be providing (although that still looks like a small group of loud mouths rather than any serious opposition). That was also on top of the town centre being closed off two days earlier for a round of the elite circuit series, a sportive attracting hundreds of riders to the town on the Saturday and an amateur race on local roads earlier in the week. So I guess we would be more than happy and able to accommodate the biggest one day road race the UK hosts. Also, Caerphilly town centre has been shut down 3 years running for the ToB stage during main working / shopping hours without any widely reported complaints.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Well, to be fair, they'd probably get similar comments and complaints if they wanted to close the roads for a car race.

Wouldn't surprise me if events like The Great North Run and The London Marathon had to put up with similar whinging when they were first set up.