1 F***ing day!

giant_man
giant_man Posts: 6,878
edited September 2013 in The cake stop
It's only coming through their area for one f***ing day, and people still want it scrapped, what is wrong with people?

Really? How much does it inconvenience someone FFS?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24077383

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    'Residents feel "pestered" and "confined to their homes" by cycling events in Surrey'

Quite agree, how is one supposed to go out in the X5 to take Tarquin and Patricia to the piano recital :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I don't think there would be a problem if it was just one day... That's not the point they are making though;

"This is all very well but residents of Surrey are pestered and annoyed by cyclists, practising months in advance of the event, who ride the route in very large numbers from very early in the morning shouting at each other."
  • How about stopping all cycling events in surrey and have them elsewhere - the loss of income to local business might concentrate the minds of these people. If each spectator spends a couple of quid, that adds up to considerable cash.
    I also see the petition has been signed by soooo many people - 120...!
  • vitesse169 wrote:
    How about stopping all cycling events in surrey and have them elsewhere - the loss of income to local business might concentrate the minds of these people. If each spectator spends a couple of quid, that adds up to considerable cash.

It's Surrey!!!! I'm not sure they'd be too worried by loss of income to local businesses.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    It's the usual vocal minority, they're not worth wasting oxygen on. The issue got raised in another section of the forum just after the race and some Surrey resident signed up to the forum to express their view although I'm still convinced it was a forum regular doing a caricature of a Surrey resident. I suspect most of those moaning weren't even born and bred in the area and have moved in for the convenience of being near the city while enjoying the benefits of being in a semi rural area in the process driving out locals who can no longer afford to live there.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    As I recall one of the complaints is about the amount of noise cyclists make, yet the guy behind the petition runs a clay pigeon shooting place. I'd rather have people cycle down my road than firing shotguns. Maybe I'm just being unreasonable.
  • arran77
    Veronese68 wrote:
    As I recall one of the complaints is about the amount of noise cyclists make, yet the guy behind the petition runs a clay pigeon shooting place. I'd rather have people cycle down my road than firing shotguns. Maybe I'm just being unreasonable.

Why not just combine both events then?

Clay pigeon shooting at passing cyclists :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • In the New Forest they don't bother with petitions, they just throw tacks on the road for us!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    In the New Forest they don't bother with petitions, they just throw tacks on the road for us!
    Where did Alexander Grosset originate from?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tay ... 445567.stm
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mogrigg wrote:
    vitesse169 wrote:
    How about stopping all cycling events in surrey and have them elsewhere - the loss of income to local business might concentrate the minds of these people. If each spectator spends a couple of quid, that adds up to considerable cash.

It's Surrey!!!! I'm not sure they'd be too worried by loss of income to local businesses.

Agreed, the Ferrari/Lambo/a.Martin dealers = not bothered... However, the 'tourist' cafes/leisure places/B&B will all be relying to some extent to passing and special event trade, no ?
  • One Sunday let's all get in our cars and drive around our cycling routes in Surrey 1 car per person !

We could all park on Box Hill for a coffee, thousands of us, that'd learn them.
  • Interestingly, this has now appeared:

http://chn.ge/18uLOWe
  • daviesee
    bikeav8or wrote:
    One Sunday let's all get in our cars and drive around our cycling routes in Surrey 1 car per person !

We could all park on Box Hill for a coffee, thousands of us, that'd learn them.
    Works especially well as a chain gang. :twisted:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Interestingly, this has now appeared:

I agree with it and signed it but the petition title isn't great!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I don't think there would be a problem if it was just one day... That's not the point they are making though;

Agree if it's happening regularly, it can become a ball ache.

They did a revival of the Milk Race around Nottingham earlier this year, a closed loop around the city centre. The loop enclosed the city's main square and crossed the route taken by many between the two shopping centres in two places. Now this was fine if you were coming to see the racing and events, but many were not and a lot of these found themselves locked into infield as they hadn't had time to get across it or didn't realise they were in there.

It led to a lot of angry and frustrated people, particularly when some of the closures were for 'family rides' and you'd waited for 45 minutes behind a barrier to allow 4yr olds on stabilizers to pass. :roll:

The older I get, the better I was.

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    it seems so damn killjoy, perhaps it's not just one day then, but you know ....
  • Mikey23
    Just so long as its NIMBY
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    In the New Forest they don't bother with petitions, they just throw tacks on the road for us!

Not forgetting running us off our bikes with Land Rovers and the odd punch up on Ornamental Drive.

I for one would love to see Dorset CC stump up the money to host a stage of the ToB. Dorset has some superb countryside and good hills. Quite like the idea of a stage starting in Shaftesbury, down through to the Purbecks and a finish at Portland.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Interestingly, this has now appeared:

You'd think they could have found someone literate to write the words down. Pitiful, and like it or not it doesn't create a good impression seeing a dozen paragraphs strewn with basic errors. I gave up. Sorry.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    My wife saw the petition, she is no cyclist but has nothing against cycling. Her response was:

"isnt that the "bottom hole" that does clay pigeon shooting in Cobham? He needs to wind his neck in, you can hear the F****** W****** shooting at 7am on a Sunday morning and its a lot louder than a couple of cyclists riding down the road having a chat. What a .........."

Well you get the gist.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • arran77
    Mrs Head sounds very sensible :lol:

seanoconn
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    arran77 wrote:

Not a word i would use to describe her.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • arran77
    simonhead wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Not a word i would use to describe her.

Fair enough.

seanoconn
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    IMO Surrey gets too much cycling anyway - the County Council have lobbied for the events and want to increase the number of cyclists in the county but until they improve the roads I don't see how they can justify so many events.
    I'll be happy if the petition succeeds, I'm sure my brother-in-law will sign it :D , and it means more cycling for the rest of the country - Derbyshire CC please take note :wink:
  • random man wrote:
    IMO Surrey gets too much cycling anyway - the County Council have lobbied for the events and want to increase the number of cyclists in the county but until they improve the roads I don't see how they can justify so many events.
    I'll be happy if the petition succeeds, I'm sure my brother-in-law will sign it :D , and it means more cycling for the rest of the country - Derbyshire CC please take note :wink:

I did wonder about the counter argument in the alternative petition where it was claimed it brought tourism to the area and hotel bookings...as if London struggles with things like that! If you were going to argue along those lines then surely it has to be in favour of rides somewhere other than London, moving tourist money from the south east to other parts of the country, not the the other way round.
  • daviesee
    random man wrote:

I did wonder about the counter argument in the alternative petition where it was claimed it brought tourism to the area and hotel bookings...as if London struggles with things like that! If you were going to argue along those lines then surely it has to be in favour of rides somewhere other than London, moving tourist money from the south east to other parts of the country, not the the other way round.
    Pffft!
    Don't you know that the world revolves round London.
    Silly idea.
  • random man wrote:
    I think the Jacksdale and Codnor area could lobby for some cycling events given he billiard table-like surface of the roads around there. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Mikey23
    Isn't the whole point of these races that it's cheap advertising for the local tourist industry? I'm sure that most people who watch these races are sorting out their next holiday destination. I know I do ....
  • Mr Goo wrote:

Not forgetting running us off our bikes with Land Rovers and the odd punch up on Ornamental Drive.

I for one would love to see Dorset CC stump up the money to host a stage of the ToB. Dorset has some superb countryside and good hills. Quite like the idea of a stage starting in Shaftesbury, down through to the Purbecks and a finish at Portland.

Nice idea. But unfortunately Dorset CC/Shaftesbury TC couldn't organise a f**k in a brothel.
    Battaglin C11
    Carrera LRS2
    Carrera Jabberwock
    Kona Paddy wagon fixed
    Carlton Catalina
  • Move the focus to Wales. Less traffic, locals are slightly less surly, hills are bigger and there's more weather.

What the "gateway" towns for the best road riding in Wales, i.e. the places where you can easily drive to from the motorways, or get to easily via mainline train services, and get accommodation, bike shops andlocal amenities? there has to be more to riding in Wales than mountain biking trail centres and the Dragon ride: happy to be educated...