Road bike with disc brakes?

Comments

• Stueys wrote:
    Although I believe the UCI have now said they won't ratify disc brakes for another 2 years at least. Which will probably slow transition down.

I don't think so... we have the perception that the all market is driven by the UCI, but it is actually the UCI that does as it's told to do by the manufacturers and if they want to sell us bikes with disc brakes because people want them, the UCI will bow...
    Besides, we have no relationship with the UCI, so I don't know why their decisions should influence our bike choices. The Germans, who are always a bit more clever than the rest of Europe, buy bicycles which are appropriate for their use and you don't see many obese people on 6 Kg bikes there... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Looks great but yet to see any reviews appear

Or you can be the first to leave one... how wrong can it go? It's not that you're buying a Penny Farthing... bicycles are pretty much all the same, despite 10,000,000 forums and reviews saying the opposite

:)

I'm looking at new bikes...didn't say I was buying/would be allowed to buy one ;)

But if I was then I wanna test ride a steel one (just because)...ideally with discs..around the thousaud pound mark or not much more...and the plug 4 looks perfect :)
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    thanks to the UCI, it isn't too far off that a 'good' sportive bike is both better and lighter than what the pros ride.

bring it on I say. Let the market drive up quality, rather than expecting (race) competition and the UCI to trigger this.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • UCI open-minded about disc brakes for pro peloton
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ton-37068/

The UCI say they will keep an open mind about the use of disc brakes in the professional road peloton, but said manufacturers need to provide performance data before the components can be properly considered for competitive use.

What this really means:
    "We are trying our best to make sure disc brakes are not introduced but we obviously can't state this in public, so are stating we are open minded - but will do our best to put blockers in place."

Bike brands unite to seek disc brakes approval in pro road racing
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ing-38329/

Shimano have asked an external organisation to press the UCI to allow hydraulic disc brake use in professional road racing, as a definitive decision on their potential use by cycilng's governing body appears to have stalled

What this really means:
    "We are aware of UCI's tactics to try and stop disc brakes for road racing, so have decided to win this argument by throwing money at the issue. If the UCI want data we'll give them data. Any argument the UCI make against disc brakes we will provide the data to discount this argument, since we are the actual people who are developing the equipment and hence know a lot more about bikes than the UCI, as well as obviously having more money available."
    Simon
  • While they wait for UCI approval Shimano is able to use the "Have what the pros can't have" line which is quite clever.
  • Mechanism wrote:
    While they wait for UCI approval Shimano is able to use the "Have what the pros can't have" line which is quite clever.

Lots of people bought CX bikes with discs and only a minority use them as CX bikes... I can see a lot more people getting into road bikes with discs, only a small minority of people on the road want to ride Wiggins & co. equipment or are involved in racing... I don't see UCI policy as a problem to be honest.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Lots of people bought CX bikes with discs and only a minority use them as CX bikes... I can see a lot more people getting into road bikes with discs, only a small minority of people on the road want to ride Wiggins & co. equipment or are involved in racing... I don't see UCI policy as a problem to be honest.

So true, why? Because they make excellent winter bikes. Here's mine;

ugtr.jpg

Simple, cable operated discs with far superior stopping power in the wet and your rims don't get chewed up either. Mine still has stock wheels (pretty crap freehub), but once they are worn out I will get some handbuilt disc wheels with bullet proof hubs and possibly even carbon rims. IMHO carbon rims and disc brakes are a match made in heaven! Gets over the quite frankly poor braking associated with carbon rims and rim brakes, and the heat/ delamination problems of carbon clinchers.

I think it will be the future of road bike braking and have thought as much or about 3 years.

PP
  • Pilot Pete wrote:
    IMHO carbon rims and disc brakes are a match made in heaven! Gets over the quite frankly poor braking associated with carbon rims and rim brakes, and the heat/ delamination problems of carbon clinchers.

At the moment there seem to be very few disc carbon wheels or rims. I think Zipp do one and FFWD. Does it make sense (or is it even possible) to use a normal carbon wheel or rim with disc brakes?

Edit: Specialized also do one although only the clincher is available in the UK.
  • ClaudeH wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    IMHO carbon rims and disc brakes are a match made in heaven! Gets over the quite frankly poor braking associated with carbon rims and rim brakes, and the heat/ delamination problems of carbon clinchers.

At the moment there seem to be very few disc carbon wheels or rims. I think Zipp do one and FFWD. Does it make sense (or is it even possible) to use a normal carbon wheel or rim with disc brakes?

Edit: Specialized also do one although only the clincher is available in the UK.

DIsc wheels are normally built 3 cross which implies a minimum of 28 spokes... unfortunately the market of carbon rims is dominated by low spoke counts... they'll get there, but they have not spotted the opportunity yet.
  • Pilot Pete wrote:

So true, why? Because they make excellent winter bikes. Here's mine;

ugtr.jpg

Simple, cable operated discs with far superior stopping power in the wet and your rims don't get chewed up either. Mine still has stock wheels (pretty crap freehub), but once they are worn out I will get some handbuilt disc wheels with bullet proof hubs and possibly even carbon rims.
    PP

Nice looking bike.

I am not quite sure how your current wheels are going to wear out as they don't have anything abrasive trying to grind them away. Maybe it will take longer than you think???
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    The freehub is crap to put it mildly! Been swapped under warranty once and is already starting to play up again. I suspect I am going to need a rear wheel sooner than I would like to think, or at least a new rear hub...the wheels are Felt branded, guess just some hub/ rim manufacturers cheap items bought en masse and branded with transfers...all I know is that they aren't made any more (bike was a 2012 purchase).

PP
  • LegendLust wrote:

LegendLust
    I see that Legend are now doing disc brake options for some of their high-end frames. I wonder what set up they would recommend for that. I may pop into one of the dealers in the City one of these days to have a chat although I am a bit nervous about where that path may lead!
  • ClaudeH wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

LegendLust
    I see that Legend are now doing disc brake options for some of their high-end frames. I wonder what set up they would recommend for that. I may pop into one of the dealers in the City one of these days to have a chat although I am a bit nervous about where that path may lead!

What setup in which sense... you mean groupset? For cable operated discs I think SRAM has the best pull ratio, but if you use road disc brakes all the three major brands work equally well. If you want hydraulics, then you are limited in the choice. On balance I would not go hydraulics just yet... I think there is room for improvement and in the next few years they will come up with better systems and probably even cheaper ones
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    ClaudeH wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

LegendLust

Well this close-up shows SRAM Red https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
  • ClaudeH wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

LegendLust

What setup in which sense... you mean groupset? For cable operated discs I think SRAM has the best pull ratio, but if you use road disc brakes all the three major brands work equally well. If you want hydraulics, then you are limited in the choice. On balance I would not go hydraulics just yet... I think there is room for improvement and in the next few years they will come up with better systems and probably even cheaper ones

Yes, groupset and wheels. Does that mean you could use one of the standard electronic groupsets with the disk brakes as long as they are cable operated as opposed to hydraulic?
  • ClaudeH wrote:
    ClaudeH wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

LegendLust

Yes, groupset and wheels. Does that mean you could use one of the standard electronic groupsets with the disk brakes as long as they are cable operated as opposed to hydraulic?

If it's drilled to take the cables, then you can use electronics, otherwise not (or you have to do an ugly botch up).
    As for the wheels, they will be 28-32 spokes, as they need to be crossed and cannot be radial, or they'll shatter under braking.
    My advice is not to spend a fortune on the groupset at this stage as chances are in a couple of years some amazing hydraulic groupset will come out and you'll want to upgrade.
  • I have a back order with Madison for the first M785 hydro road brakes in the U.K. Going to get a frame built for this I think now. I will see or rtaher my wife will how good they really are.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Get a Boardman hybrid pro comp and if you really really want drop bars, put some on it. (have you ever noticed how most road bikers ride in the upright position?)
    Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
    Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.
  • maddog 2
    Boardman hybrids are aluminium. There are (relatively) loads of alu disc frames. It's the carbon ones that have been slow to emerge. Legend looks interesting but the UK website doesn't have much on it. The EU website does but no prices I could see.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    francis666 wrote:
    Get a Boardman hybrid pro comp and if you really really want drop bars, put some on it. (have you ever noticed how most road bikers ride in the upright position?)

As little as I used the drops, I'd rather have the option if needs be, and I can imagine it being awkward to change!
  • broona wrote:
    francis666 wrote:
    Get a Boardman hybrid pro comp and if you really really want drop bars, put some on it. (have you ever noticed how most road bikers ride in the upright position?)

As little as I used the drops, I'd rather have the option if needs be, and I can imagine it being awkward to change!

I agree. Apart from obviously having to swap out the brake/gear levers and bars (not cheap), looking at my friends Trek hybrid the geometry looks all wrong.

I looked with him at possibly changing over his bike to a drop, but the conclusion was that the front end is far too high on his bike to be made a drop (without looking and riding oddly). I know not all hybrids are like this, but the Boardman seems to have that usual sloping top tube that you don't get on a drop specific frame.
    Simon
  • Hi,
    After basic advise on discs, do they suffer from over heating on prolonged descents? I have previously exploded a front wheel under heavy braking (spokes pulled off hub, tyre flat etc).
    I ride on the mountain north of Swansea often and have some long steep descents. Note I am over 100kg and my current brakes can contain my speed, however I have to apply constantly as acceleration is instant on 1:7 gradient. Heat is a big issue.
    Thanks for help, as I am considering road or X bike with discs.
  • maddog 2
    No but it depends on how you brake. Any dragger will get the brakes hot, whatever design.
  • Forget about the Colnago, which is silly... the Genesis Equilibrium 2014 disc is likely to be a milestone... nice and affordable

This and could everyone stop worrying about weight.

Another really good bet looks to be the Whyte Suffolk

Or a Canyon Inflife IF THEY CAN BE BOTHERED TO BUILD THEM!!!!!! :evil:
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • broona

The Canyon looks perfect, can't believe I hadn't seen that one!

Strange question, but why do they have the 8.0 and 8.0S? They look the same, apart from the mudguards, but the 8.0S appears to be road bike groupset based and the 8.0 appears to be a lot more MTB groupset based???
  • broona wrote:

The Canyon looks perfect, can't believe I hadn't seen that one!

Strange question, but why do they have the 8.0 and 8.0S? They look the same, apart from the mudguards, but the 8.0S appears to be road bike groupset based and the 8.0 appears to be a lot more MTB groupset based???

Pretty much that really. The road orientated one has road tyres and 50/34. No other real differences. You can get the optional mudguards as well.

Remember the Inflite is still a CX bike. But, frankly, I find little difference in geometry.

I'd recommend you have a look at the Whyte though. Same spec as per 105, wheels perhaps not quite as good (but built by Whyte and my Whyte MTB wheels are excellent). But, crucially, the Whyte has hydraulic discs. So, arguably, a better spec and it's a road geometry.
  • Whytes are very long. Even a 52 comes with something like a 56cm TT. It is an issue that a well established Whyte dealer near me hates and means that they won't stock the CX/road bikes. If you are long as well they may be worth a look.
    I have long list of this sort of bike but sadly they all have some compromise.
  • Suffolk 52cm is 540mm c to c
  • broona
    mattsccm wrote:
    Whytes are very long. Even a 52 comes with something like a 56cm TT. It is an issue that a well established Whyte dealer near me hates and means that they won't stock the CX/road bikes. If you are long as well they may be worth a look.
    I have long list of this sort of bike but sadly they all have some compromise.

I'm 5' 9" and think I'd need a 54cm frame, which has a 555mm top tube. My previous medium Defy had a 545mm top tube, is that much longer than the norm?