Encounters with wildlife

Comments

• I ran over a large grass snake last summer and a rabbit the year before that, both were in a bad way but i didn't have the heart to finish them off.

I keep meaning to put a Snake & Rabbit sticker on the bike, then put a large red X through them.
  • My mate claims to have run over a squirell, and the squirells gone under the wheel and then chucked out in front of him through the fork crown. He's adamant it happened.

Personally, I've only come across a bird.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    My mate claims to have run over a squirell, and the squirells gone under the wheel and then chucked out in front of him through the fork crown. He's adamant it happened.

This your mate?

squirrel%2Bin%2Bfork.jpg

and Fnarrrrrr!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • ^ haha, fantastic pic, and on a commuter too, just think what he could hit if he went off road.
  • prawny wrote:
    My mate claims to have run over a squirell, and the squirells gone under the wheel and then chucked out in front of him through the fork crown. He's adamant it happened.

This your mate?

squirrel%2Bin%2Bfork.jpg

*was my mate. And no, but that's why mtbs > roadies - wildlife conservation. Mate reckons the squirell ran away happy after on his mtb.
    prawny wrote:
    and Fnarrrrrr!

A tit to be precise.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    A snake slithered out in front of me on the trail. It woke me up as I was working out how to jump / dodge it and it carried on into the long grass.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    prawny wrote:
    and Fnarrrrrr!

A tit to be precise.

FNNNNAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I see a lot of deer

1239731_10151518744430378_1825067213_n.jpg

And the occasional Lion and Bear. Really!
    Insert bike here:
  • UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    Yeah, I had an encounter with some wildlife at nevis Range last week.

http://youtu.be/WBorAKdN8Y0

Kinda funny.
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    At bpw the other week there was a wild horse that wouldn't get out if the way of the uplift bus, I think northern monkey has a video of it :lol:
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    most interesting stuff has only been deer in the UK, in France I nearly tripped over a coypu and several snakes.
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Another couple of badgers lolloping along the trail - they can put on a turn of speed when they need to.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    I had a bat fly along in front of me the other night, stayed in my light for about 20 seconds.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    unicorns - can't move for them after dark in the Peak
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    We came across a slow worm at Coed Y Brenin on Sunday. One of the lads rode over it by mistake, but the little fella seemed to be fine. Pretty cute actually.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    ilovedirt wrote:
    We came across a slow worm at Coed Y Brenin on Sunday. One of the lads rode over it by mistake, but the little fella seemed to be fine. Pretty cute actually.

Did you feel it? they feel really wierd.
  • ilovedirt
    Nah, some of the other lads picked it up but I didn't. It seemed happy enough being handled though.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • pesky_jones
    They look like the should be wet. But theyre dry :o like snakes. I think it is a snake actually. They can split in half im pretty sure.
  • Giraffoto
    They look like the should be wet. But theyre dry :o like snakes. I think it is a snake actually. They can split in half im pretty sure.

Strictly speaking they're lizards, albeit without legs. They can't split in half and both halves make a new slow worm - they're not worms. And not that slow, either.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • pesky_jones
    Giraffoto wrote:

Strictly speaking they're lizards, albeit without legs. They can't split in half and both halves make a new slow worm - they're not worms. And not that slow, either.

So they can split in half? I thought it was a similar defense mechanism to a lizard (getting picked up by tail by bird so it looses the tail) which isn't surprising seeing as you've now told me that it is, strictly speaking, a lizard.
  • ilovedirt
    Yeah they can lose their tails as a defence mechanism, and yep they're lizards, not snakes.
    I picked up a lizard by its tail once when I was in france. Of course the tail just came away and the lizard ran off, left me wondering what had happened for a moment!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto wrote:

So they can split in half? I thought it was a similar defense mechanism to a lizard (getting picked up by tail by bird so it looses the tail) which isn't surprising seeing as you've now told me that it is, strictly speaking, a lizard.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago. Dropping a tail isn't splitting in half.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • pesky_jones
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago. Dropping a tail isn't splitting in half.

Oh sorry, was it not obvious what I meant?
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I saw three lizards today, but they were in Pets At Home... Don't think that counts.
  • welshkev
    aren't slow worms endangered and you're not supposed to handle them? but oh well :lol:
  • pesky_jones
    Weeeell, if you think about it... Handling them probally scares them, which makes them drop a tail... and then both halves grow into new slow worms. So you now have two slow worms when before you had one.
  • ilovedirt
    welshkev wrote:
    aren't slow worms endangered and you're not supposed to handle them? but oh well :lol:
    According to wikipedia, they're protected, which means it's illegal to intentionally injure/kill them. Handling them is alright, I think.
    Weeeell, if you think about it... Handling them probally scares them, which makes them drop a tail... and then both halves grow into new slow worms. So you now have two slow worms when before you had one.
    Erm, i don't think it works quite like that...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • pesky_jones
    ilovedirt wrote:

Seriously? I was joking buddy :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ilovedirt wrote:

Damn. So the one I stuck in the blender won't grow into thousands of new ones?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    cooldad wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

Damn. So the one I stuck in the blender won't grow into thousands of new ones?

Unfortunately no, but it may make a nice soup?