Helmets vs Bees

13»

Comments

• ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    declan1 wrote:
    ToeKnee wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    I was riding along on the flat at about 20mph the other day when I could see a wasp flying around in front of me, weaving all over the place. I carried on, assuming I would miss it (I had a pretty good chance), however it flew straight into my mouth and proceeded to buzz around inside until I tried to spit it out, at which point the little bugger stung me on the lip. Literally 200 yards later a bee ended up inside one of my helmet vents and I had to shake my head around to let him out...
    Small question: what was the gender of the wasp?

I'm not THAT observant :P
    But you noticed the bee was a 'him'? :wink:
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    ToeKnee wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    ToeKnee wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    I was riding along on the flat at about 20mph the other day when I could see a wasp flying around in front of me, weaving all over the place. I carried on, assuming I would miss it (I had a pretty good chance), however it flew straight into my mouth and proceeded to buzz around inside until I tried to spit it out, at which point the little bugger stung me on the lip. Literally 200 yards later a bee ended up inside one of my helmet vents and I had to shake my head around to let him out...
    Small question: what was the gender of the wasp?

I'm not THAT observant :P
    But you noticed the bee was a 'him'? :wink:

Perhaps I called the bee 'him' to make it feel like a living thing, rather than an 'it'. The male gender is also the standard assumed gender of an animal if it it unknown ;) :P

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • 700c
    700c Posts: 59
    Who's ordering people to wear helmets? It's a free choice isn't it? (I'm assuming contributers here are based in the UK of course, and not Australia..)
  • dave02
    dave02 Posts: 325
    i am a seasoned rider with many run'ins with most things out there, i was riding when the cars were VERY small and the moon was closer, i have just started putting a helmet on at the request of my grandson. they are uncomfortable, give me headaches on warm days and for the first time i was stung by a MRS Wasp on my head and on my finger as i tried to get it out of the vents, in the end i squashed it on my head, i have no strong feelings either way but i do think it should be a personal choice, either that or kill all MRS WASPS
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    dave02 wrote:
    i am a seasoned rider with many run'ins with most things out there, i was riding when the cars were VERY small and the moon was closer, i have just started putting a helmet on at the request of my grandson. they are uncomfortable, give me headaches on warm days and for the first time i was stung by a MRS Wasp on my head and on my finger as i tried to get it out of the vents, in the end i squashed it on my head, i have no strong feelings either way but i do think it should be a personal choice, either that or kill all MRS WASPS

May I suggest trying another helmet? It shouldn't be uncomfortable or give you headaches. I sometimes forget I've even got mine on!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I hadn't worn a helmet since March but after a crash a week last Saturday the Mrs convinced me to wear one, It was raining and I don't think that she fancied picking me up again so I gave it a go.
    Worst 50 miles cycling this year, the strap is a pain and the noise from the wind was deafening, I'm back to living life on the edge :wink: and a £100s worth of helmet is back on top of the wardrobe, I just don't get on with them.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Bozman wrote:
    I hadn't worn a helmet since March but after a crash a week last Saturday the Mrs convinced me to wear one, It was raining and I don't think that she fancied picking me up again so I gave it a go.
    Worst 50 miles cycling this year, the strap is a pain and the noise from the wind was deafening, I'm back to living life on the edge :wink: and a £100s worth of helmet is back on top of the wardrobe, I just don't get on with them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_and_the_Pea
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Bozman wrote:
    I'm with you here. I do wear a lid for all of my MTB and road riding but have never ever really liked it - and I've been wearing one for as long as I can remember. However I do feel safer with one on when I'm "pushing it". This is probably why I never ride with one when I'm just out and about or on my nice easy commute - it is simply more enjoyable for me personally. Same goes for snowboarding - I wear a lid when hitting it hard with my expert skier and boarder mates but enjoy the feeling of blasting along without one a good deal more - so I never wear one when skiing with my wife at a more sedate pace for example.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Daz555 wrote:
    Bozman wrote:
    I'm with you here. I do wear a lid for all of my MTB and road riding but have never ever really liked it - and I've been wearing one for as long as I can remember. However I do feel safer with one on when I'm "pushing it". This is probably why I never ride with one when I'm just out and about or on my nice easy commute - it is simply more enjoyable for me personally. Same goes for snowboarding - I wear a lid when hitting it hard with my expert skier and boarder mates but enjoy the feeling of blasting along without one a good deal more - so I never wear one when skiing with my wife at a more sedate pace for example.

np1y.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,925
    I bet the people on here saying that wearing a helmet ruins the enjoyment of the ride, say the same about condoms.
  • Bozman
    That's why I had the snip.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I bet the people on here saying that wearing a helmet ruins the enjoyment of the ride, say the same about condoms.
    Never liked them either. Always used them though during the casual sex phase of my life. Good analogy though - there is a time when you choose to wear one and times when you perhaps don't. I imagine my wife would have something to say if I suddenly decided to wear a condom after all these years! :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Bozman wrote:

What so you don't have to wear a helmet :?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Bozman
    arran77 wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

What so you don't have to wear a helmet :?

That's really poor, I'm sure that you could do better than that especially when it's just starting to kick off in here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,925
    Never mind bees, what about these feckers?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... China.html

article-2442384-187F47DC00000578-849_634x410.jpg

article-2442384-187E821C00000578-168_634x470.jpg
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    Wasp stung me in the armpit when I was driving the car in the short sleeve shirt once in France,

Skid lids not an option imo.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Equally OT but my most surprising bee encounter was when driving along, maybe about 70 or so, in my old Chevette, with the window open, like you did back in the 80s, when I heard a loud crack from the vicinity of my wing mirror, and almost simultaneously was hit right in the middle of the forehead.
    Really hard, almost enough to make me lose control of the car. Stopped and noticed a dead, and visibly flattened, bumble bee in the footwell.
    It must have hit the wing mirror and bounced in. Should have worn a helmet.

(and so should I)