Roadies

69fencer
69fencer Posts: 3
edited October 2013 in MTB general
We're do I start how come roadies don't talk is it because they are not as fit as us mountain bikers
And can't talk and cycle or is it because are wife/girlfriends don't mine us being dirty and there boyfriends don't
And what is with the cap only place I sore a cap and a activity together was at Oxford or Cambridge and don't they get buggered rant over

Comments

• RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Interesting first post :roll:

I think you'll find roadies are probably fitter than mtb'ers :wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    69fencer wrote:
    Hello I'm speshul. Please don't touch my ears.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    edited September 2013
    Classic
  • cooldad
    ps The Crudcatcher is for silly pointless posts.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Really I think mountain bikers are fitter
  • cooldad
    That's nice.
    Go tell them.
    viewforum.php?f=30005
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Some pretty bad spelling and grammar there.
    Maybe it's just you they don't want to talk to.
  • Why would you be trying to talk to roadies - surely one of you is riding in the wrong place?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • 69fencer wrote:
    We're do I start how come roadies don't talk is it because they are not as fit as us mountain bikers
    And can't talk and cycle or is it because are wife/girlfriends don't mine us being dirty and there boyfriends don't
    And what is with the cap only place I sore a cap and a activity together was at Oxford or Cambridge and don't they get buggered rant over

come again? Even if this huge sentence had punctuation and proper spelling, I'm pretty sure it still wouldn't make any sense to a normal person. Don't mind us being dirty? Oxford or Cambridge? Not as fit?...you what?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Have you ever considered that it might just be you? I can't understand you - maybe they can't either?

MTBers fitter? Can you ride at 25 mph for a couple of hours?

I ride on and off road. Road riding keeps me fit, off-roading provides the fun and improves skill. Though I'm neither particularly fast or skilful.

I can communicate though
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i'm not agreeing with the OP here, just to get that out of the way :lol:

but mountain biking is physically harder that road riding. it's just that roadies ride further for longer, so are in return fitter..imho anyway - and that's not always true as I know some super fit mountain bikers :lol:

on a side note, I drove behind 2 roadies up the lane to my house yesterday, I stayed behind them doing about 10 mph for about 1/2 a mile. I got a wave of thanks off them so no probs. they then ride past me as i'm getting my DH bike out of the car (I was just coming back from cwmcarn)

"nice walking machine butt, how far you ride on that heavy thing?"

cue bouts of laughter as they ride off? wtf?

some roadies just don't help themselves :lol:
  • cooldad
    They weren't wrong though, were they?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • welshkev
    cooldad wrote:
    They weren't wrong though, were they?

yep, i'd just come back from riding about 18km

ok, it was all downhill, but technically they were wrong :wink:
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Funny thread.

I was out a couple of weeks ago and on the return leg which is on road I was passed by a two rodies who commented on how muddy I was :D I thought it was a good opportunity to get an easy ride home and sat on their wheel...

they did play a few games trying to drop me but I did just manage to stay with them, that said I was blowing out of my arse when I finally peeled off for home, they were both good sports though it has to be said..
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I am much, much fitter than your average MTBer - my 7 year old says so (mind you, she also continually asks why I'm not riding in whatever Grand Tour is on at the moment)
    Insert bike here:
  • In either discipline (ooh err) how fit you get depends on how hard you ride/train.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Of course, but your average roadie is vastly fitter than your average MTBer. Partly because there's little else to riding on the road, whilst there's plenty more to mountain biking.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I get a better workout riding on the road, but I have more fun jumping on my MTB. I've tried it the other way round, but it's not as good.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    How has this thread turned from utter drivel into an actual discussion? It was dead from the word go.

I'm fitter than all of you, look at me, women can't keep off my sexually splendid exterior.
  • I ride road and mtb. I wouldn't say one takes more fitness than the other.
    Cross country mountain biking requires more leg strength and sprint fitness for steep technical climbs. Downhill is all about sprint fitness and not just in the legs.
    Road is more about endurance.
    I could easily ride all day on road (if it wasn't so dull) but five or six hours on my xc bike and im ruined.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    cooldad wrote:
    69fencer wrote:
    :lol: dammit, gotta clean the coffee off the screen again.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I ride road and mtb. I wouldn't say one takes more fitness than the other.
    Cross country mountain biking requires more leg strength and sprint fitness for steep technical climbs. Downhill is all about sprint fitness and not just in the legs.
    Road is more about endurance.
    I could easily ride all day on road (if it wasn't so dull) but five or six hours on my xc bike and im ruined.

Four hours is about my on road limit before I get bored of it. Before than I am happy enough. The big difference for me is mountain biking involves more rapid / varied bike handling skills where as road biking is more about riding smoothly and pushing yourself just to the limit before you over do it and lose all power. Road bikers do seem more miserable but having had two cars randomly pull out in front of me when I was doing 20mph+ dropping me to 5 mph each time when I had up until that point a very fast ride was really annoying today. I am over six foot six wearing a bright red top how they could not see me ;)
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Got much fitter since taking up road riding. Though MTBing requires more skill.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Kajjal wrote:
    I am over six foot six wearing a bright red top how they could not see me ;)

They need to stop texting put the phone down and look out of that big piece of glass the manufacturers kindly fitted to the car so drivers dont need to put the interior light on to see the phone screen.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Kajjal wrote:

'twas probably the milkman. Or the postie. Or possibly both together. Ask your wife. She'll know which one
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    Mikey41 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    69fencer wrote:
    :lol: dammit, gotta clean the coffee off the screen again.
    +1
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • kajjal
    BigAl wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

'twas probably the milkman. Or the postie. Or possibly both together. Ask your wife. She'll know which one

She must like the older men this fella and his wife were in their late sixties ;)
  • kajjal
    stubs wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

They need to stop texting put the phone down and look out of that big piece of glass the manufacturers kindly fitted to the car so drivers dont need to put the interior light on to see the phone screen.

Normally you would be right but the tartan rug and tip aware boxes on their parcel shelf suggest they may be a bit old for that :)

This road biking is nuts another car tried to kill me today, I was happily riding along and a car decided to accelerate out from behind a row of parked cars to play a mad max style game of chicken with me. I breathed in and luckily she missed me. No wonder so many road bikers are so grumpy I am starting to get a complex :)
  • I've even heard that roadies cycle UPHILL!
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • welshkev
    booldawg wrote:
    I've even heard that roadies cycle UPHILL!

Bloody weirdos!!