Vuelta Stage 19 *Spoiler*

2»

Comments

• JROD pain face vs HORNER walk in the park face
    vuelta13st18-horner6201.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash wrote:
    I don't recall Wiggins or Froome getting a free pass on this subject...

Horner also is widely linked as EPO using Rider 15 in the USADA report. He staunchly defended Lance. And his stance on doping since hasn't been as firm as one might like. Plus his answering of questions aroud his performance and linking it to be doping have been ambivalent. That said, I don't think he has come under nearly the same scrutiny from the cycling journalists as Froome did...

He's come under nada up until the Gazzetta article today freaking out over power data. VeloNews did one fairly soft phone interview with him on the first rest day, and thats it.

Big issue is that this is the Vuelta. Very poorly attended by international media. There are no rest day media sessions with the red jersey holder - totally the opposite of the rest day media scrums at the Tour. And very very fundamentally...the Spanish media dont ask questions relating to doping. None, zip, nada. Its a major no-no for them to start exploring that particular avenue - even re a non-Spanish rider.

So yes, Horner is getting a very different experience during the course of the 3 weeks from that of Froome - or Wiggins last year.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Good job JRod. Wish you had found some similar form earlier. All shaping up for an exciting day tomorrow. I agree with Blazing - could be a disaster tomorrow for Nibali.
    dsoutar wrote:
    Nibali looks so vulnerable, now. Could end up 4th.
    Mikey23 wrote:
    What's with the Horner hate?

Ageism, or else 6.8w/kg.

or this

http://climbing-records.blogspot.co.uk/

I see Contador is the king of the Angliru. Heavyweight.

How very odd......you ignore the fastest time up the Angliru by a PED user in 2000 and accept a slower time by a PED user in 2008.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Final GC from 2012. Check out the gap from 3rd to 4th.

Final General Classification
    1 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (SAXO BANK-TINKOFF BANK) 84:59:49
    2 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR) + 1:16
    3 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA) + 1:37
    4 FROOME, Christopher (SKY PROCYCLING) + 10:16
    5 MORENO FERNANDEZ, Daniel (KATUSHA) + 11:29
    6 GESINK, Robert (RABOBANK) + 12:23
    7 TALANSKY, Andrew (GARMIN-SHARP) + 13:28
    8 TEN DAM, Laurens (RABOBANK) + 13:41
    9 ANTON HERNANDEZ, Igor (EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI) + 14:01
    10 INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA, Benat (MOVISTAR) + 16:13
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Mikey23 wrote:
    And he's American unlike the gallant wiggins and Froome so doesn't get a free pass
    I take it you didn't see any of the cycling press at all in the 2012/2013 tour then? Or the fifteen odd page bumfight on team sky on this very forum? I think Horner has got off pretty lightly compared to Froome, especially considering his advanced years!
  • Paul 8v
    What a race so far though, pretty much every day has been a surprise, I've been loving it!
  • I think Mikey is referring to the BR forum rather than the media at large ...

But he has a point ... We are 'supposed' to support Wiggins/Froome as they are Brit(ish) ... We are also to jump on the post-Lance bandwagon and hate those cheating Americans (but ignore the only American pro-team full of dopers as they tell us they're 'fun' and very, very sorry) ...

There is a reason several of us don't follow the BR consensus ... we prefer not to park our brain behind the sheep sh!t and psuedo chumminess ...
  • I think Mikey is referring to the BR forum rather than the media at large ...

But he has a point ... We are 'supposed' to support Wiggins/Froome as they are Brit(ish) ... We are also to jump on the post-Lance bandwagon and hate those cheating Americans (but ignore the only American pro-team full of dopers as they tell us they're 'fun' and very, very sorry) ...

There is a reason several of us don't follow the BR consensus ... we prefer not to park our brain behind the sheep sh!t and psuedo chumminess ...

This BR forum blindly supporting Wiggins/Froome/Sky and giving them a 'free pass' to dope...It only exists in your imagination.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Paul 8v
    Crank brother, you were quite vocal in your dislike of sky ( Which you are of course entitled to be as it's your opinion)

Which performance is more believable, Froome or Horner, taking in to account age, previous achievement, team support, previous days effort etc?

You can't go accusing Froome of shenanigans then ignore Horner!

I would hope myself he was doing it clean as if he wasn't he would have to be a complete idiot to be so blatant. I don't really dislike any American riders (Apart from van Garderen as I thought he was a real d*&k to Evans in the 2012 tour when he pretended he hadn't seen his puncture!) I haven't got the impression there is a forum 'thing' about hating the septics but maybe I haven't picked up on it.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Sorry guys, my rant was a little lacking both in fact and substance! Just thought its been a cracking few days racing and it seemed that some of the comments here and elsewhere seemed a little bleak and overly negative. I thought it was great for an underdog to stuff the mighty nibbles ... Not to up on the history or the politics

Carlton said that Horner had had an early morning test today
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    I get it now
    So he might be performing above his expected level therefore he's doping... Or he might not
    He might be a talented rider who is getting his change late in his career because there is a more level playing field...
    Or he might not
    And anyone who performs above himself has got to be doping innit

And he smiles...
    And he's 41
    And he's American unlike the gallant wiggins and Froome so doesn't get a free pass
    And he looks a bit weird and unfashionable

As the article concludes, if you have a prob with that then its probably your problem

Apologies for the rant and probably in the wrong place... Time for my afternoon meidication

No its not its pro cycling's problem
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,167
    mroli wrote:
    Konig up into 7th position and is being consistent - every chance of taking Pozzo in 6th - which, for me, would be one of the results of the Vuelta....

Just watched ES showing last year's ToB stage to Caerphilly where JTL towed Koenig for about the last 10km before Koenig jumped him for the stage. Their careers seem to have gone in totally opposite directions in the 12 months since.
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    I would hope myself he was doing it clean as if he wasn't he would have to be a complete idiot to be so blatant.

On this issue I don't think he would really be an idiot (at least not more of an idiot than anyone who dopes is). For someone like Horner who's 41 and out of contract at the end of the year, if he was to dope and get caught the end result would pretty much be the same as if he didn't and he had to retire because his performance couldn't secure him a contract (a little more ignominious I guess).

I don't know where I stand on Horner's performance generally, but as per usual I do hope he's clean. Either way he's probably got some people interested in signing him for another year or two after this.

---

On the subject of Konig he's ridden a very smart race, especially since he secured a stage win for himself. You often see him drift towards the back for a bit on the steep climbs since then but he just keeps churning away and makes the ground back as people who tried to keep with the leaders fall off. Very measured and mature performance.
  • Paul 8v
    In that case though, why would Horner want to finish his career with a drugs positive? The way he's riding is sure to attract unwanted attention if that were the case, not sure what to think on this one to be honest!
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    If Horner's doping, he's going to get caught and stripped of his title eventually. Maybe not this year, but future tests will reveal the truth (or maybe La Vuelta is exempt from scrutiny)? Having seen what's happened to LA, would Horner be so brazenly stupid?

I'm really not sure what to think. Froome was unequivocal in his denials. Will Horner similarly stand on the podium and proclaim his victory will stand the test of time?
  • bobones wrote:
    If Horner's doping, he's going to get caught and stripped of his title eventually. Maybe not this year, but future tests will reveal the truth (or maybe La Vuelta is exempt from scrutiny)? Having seen what's happened to LA, would Horner be so brazenly stupid?

I'm really not sure what to think. Froome was unequivocal in his denials. Will Horner similarly stand on the podium and proclaim his victory will stand the test of time?

If Horner is doping he might get caught and stripped of his title eventually. It could be a single smash and grab which he gets away with. How he performs in the future will be interesting assuming he gets a contract somewhere.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    No. No professional athlete would be that stupid. I'm going to enjoy the rest of what has been a cracking race and not engage in any more meaningless tittle tattle

• If Horner is doping he might get caught and stripped of his title eventually. It could be a single smash and grab which he gets away with. How he performs in the future will be interesting assuming he gets a contract somewhere.

There's been a few of those in the past 24 months ... 3 out of 6 GT's ... and Horner may possibly make it 4 from 7 ...

Everyone's new favourite pantomime villain may end up in very good company ... He might even get to meet the queen ... :wink:
  • Barguil finished with the same time as Pinot yesterday:
    360-PIC396487194.jpg

557-PIC396578329.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest