The UCI report leaked

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited September 2013 in Pro race
alleges a lot of corruption by Pat M
http://velonews.competitor.com/

drags in Contador too, not just LA. It the "before the cover up was completed" that worries me..hope ALberto not a willing party to the deal
http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/file ... cument.pdf

LA stuff no surprise but

"There is testimonial evidence that after the rider Alberto Contador failed a doping test in
2010, UCI tried to engage in a cover-up of the failed test in exchange for money. The witness who provided this testimony advised the efforts were not successful because the media became
aware of the story before the cover-up could be completed. The witness claims there are other
witnesses who can provide corroborative testimony."

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    As Cillian Kelly says - it speaks volumes about McQuaid's character that none of the revelations are at all surprising

As our own Iain says - (I can't remember how he put it) Igor Marakov-Now there's a trusty, reliable source we can all believe in...

(and seriously Dave, the Contador allegation is the least surprising of the lot, that was obvious at the time)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Karsten Kroon claimed back in Mar 2012 that McQuaid had called Bert to tell him that he wanted to keep Bert's positive hushed up

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kroon-a ... s-problems

"Listen, a month after his positive control in the Tour of 2010, Alberto was personally called by UCI President Pat McQuaid, who told him he wanted to keep that quiet. But then it was leaked by the German television.”
  • Oh, I thought the idea of the Vrijman Report being proof read and edited by Lance's legal eagles quite a surprise.

I thought the it ( the strong rumour at least) fairly common knowledge that the UCI had tried to sit on Bertie's positive?
    At that point in time, they hadn't been USADA'd and were still doing what they had done in the past.
    No doubt another nice little earner for Pat.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Oh, I thought the idea of the Vrijman Report being proof read and edited by Lance's legal eagles quite a surprise.

I thought the it ( the strong rumour at least) fairly common knowledge that the UCI had tried to sit on Bertie's positive?
    At that point in time, they hadn't been USADA'd and were still doing what they had done in the past.
    No doubt another nice little earner for Pat.

Yeah - but I think the allegation that it was in exchange for dosh, is a new one
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,166
    I see PM's latest bid to get re-elected is to warn of the dangers that not having a UCI member on the IOC could have on cycling's representation at the Olympics. Now, I don't know much about the IOC but I assume Pat will stay on in his position there even if not elected so that sounds a lot like a threat by him that he wouldn't work in cycling's interests if he loses the UCI job.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Kimmage's evidence didn't amount to a hill of beans for the attempt at a Swiss case.

This whole thing just feels like Makarov trying to be kingmaker for Cookson. He's got the financial means to keep anyone in check.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pross wrote:
    I see PM's latest bid to get re-elected is to warn of the dangers that not having a UCI member on the IOC could have on cycling's representation at the Olympics. Now, I don't know much about the IOC but I assume Pat will stay on in his position there even if not elected so that sounds a lot like a threat by him that he wouldn't work in cycling's interests if he loses the UCI job.

He has that position with the IOC because he's chief honcho for a sports governing body. No more honcho, I'd imagine goodbye IOC seat, and they'd elect someone else in his place, maybe from another sport.

Not that having him on the IOC has done diddly for more events on future Olympic programs this go around
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Dave_1 wrote:

Wow when you read that through it makes very scary reading Pat M is either having the biggest and most precise stitch up in history done on him - or basically he should be put in prison. No wonder he is fighting so hard to stay in control and manage this away.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Hmmmm... good stuff :)
  • I truly think If PMQ gets re-elected then there really is no credibility for the UCI...it needs a complete shakedown from top to bottom.....I'm not casting aspersions about PMQ, I don't know the guy, and I'm sure 95% of his intentions have been aimed at the good of cycling, but the reports "leaked" synopsis cannot make comfortable reading for anyone with the UCI's interests at heart...come the vote I think it's just time to put a new guy at the helm, thank PMQ for his work and move on.
    There has been no quarter given, and neither should there have been to name/denounce the doping athletes, so now the hierarchy have got to take their turn in the dock...it's been an unpleasant couple of years for the UCI and personally I think PMQ should have stood down, but he doesn't seem that type of character...so here we are with a really toxic election, which really does just seem about clinging on to power as opposed to what's best for the UCI overall.
    My 2pennorth FWIW.....
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I agree. Sepp Blatter would fit in well as a replacement.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Surely he must get out of the lime light now?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    jonomc4 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Wow when you read that through it makes very scary reading Pat M is either having the biggest and most precise stitch up in history done on him - or basically he should be put in prison. No wonder he is fighting so hard to stay in control and manage this away.

Of course it's the mother of all stitch ups; it's being done by a Russian. They pretty much perfected the art of denouncing someone. Once the election is over and Cookson is declared president, McQuaid will be shipped off to the Gulag.
  • It really is one of those moments when McQuaid and Verbruggen should have learned from the Lance-Floyd lesson.....

Never hack off someone who really does have the power to bring you down

HUBRIS
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Has anyone read McQuaid's letters to the Federations? Basically he says it was all a stitch up, not true and pretty much puts the blame at Cookson's door for it. Which is pretty much Pat just mudslinging as much as he can in response. He is the one tarnishing the UCI, not anyone else.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    There is no way such allegations can be made and not thoroughly investigated. The fact the Russian and US representatives raised these concerns is pretty indicative, these 2 nations hardly get along at the moment. Pat can send mudslinging letters however he'll fool no one unless he's paid them in advance.

Its good to air this corruption, the UCI like cyclists need to get their dirty washing out so when the new guy comes in it can be openly discussed, lessons learned and procedures put in place to ensure it can't happen again.

Sport like time, can't go backwards, but we can ensure the quality of the people employed to run sport is appropriate to the responsibility held, and accountable to a wider audience.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Pross wrote:

He has that position with the IOC because he's chief honcho for a sports governing body. No more honcho, I'd imagine goodbye IOC seat, and they'd elect someone else in his place, maybe from another sport.

Not that having him on the IOC has done diddly for more events on future Olympic programs this go around

And Verbruggen just lost his kushty little IOC job, which hardly suggests that the PMQ/Verbruggen team is held in much esteem round those parts.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Bo Duke wrote:
    There is no way such allegations can be made and not thoroughly investigated

Yeah let us know how you get on with that....

(sorry, feeling rather cynical about cycling at the moment...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:
    There is no way such allegations can be made and not thoroughly investigated

Yeah let us know how you get on with that....

(sorry, feeling rather cynical about cycling at the moment...)

I'm trying to work out how they're going to get that rocking...

UCI Ethics Commission - useless - ruled by McQuaid

IOC...erm...not a chance under Verbruggen's bestie Rogge, but now under new boy Bach....who allegedly Verbruggen had been trying to stop becoming IOC Prez....
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Nobody thought that perhaps PMQ had the report leaked? Afterall, what better way to have a go at your opponent than by releasing unproven info that would benefit them and try and discredit them for doing so.

Oh - and as mroli pointed out - PMQ is quite happy slinging mud at those he's accusing of being mudslingers ... without the slightest shred of evidence ... hmm ... I've got a black kettle here - anyone seen the pot?!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The thought of an IOC ethics committee always makes me laugh
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:

Dont particularly disagree. But the problem here is the framework of self-governing, self-regulating bodies. The unanswerable question is who watches the watchers...the ultimate threat is the loss of incoming cash flow...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    iainf72 wrote:

Dont particularly disagree. But the problem here is the framework of self-governing, self-regulating bodies. The unanswerable question is who watches the watchers...the ultimate threat is the loss of incoming cash cow...
    corrected that for you .... ;)
  • Slowbike wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Dont particularly disagree. But the problem here is the framework of self-governing, self-regulating bodies. The unanswerable question is who watches the watchers...the ultimate threat is the loss of incoming cash cow...
    corrected that for you .... ;)

Vast improvement :)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Its hard to believe its this grubby
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • The worrying part is that Brian Cooksone was either aware and kept quiet or was unaware. In either case he hardly seems like the kind of leader we need to replace Mcquaid.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited September 2013
    The worrying part is that Brian Cooksone was either aware and kept quiet or was unaware. In either case he hardly seems like the kind of leader we need to replace Mcquaid.

But unless you have a revolution, you're only ever going to get a member of an existing inner circle replacing an incumbent. All you can hope for is an improvement on the predecessor.

I like the idea of revolution in principle but how many sports end up with multiple governing bodies and multiple world champions (e.g. boxing and darts)? Those sports look like a joke from the outside. Revolution only works if the vast majority are genuinely ready to start afresh. A power vacuum in cycling won't benefit anybody other than the shrewdest operators who thrive in such situations.
  • The worrying part is that Brian Cooksone was either aware and kept quiet or was unaware. In either case he hardly seems like the kind of leader we need to replace Mcquaid.

The Cyclingnews comments section keeping you busy?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    morstar wrote:
    A power vacuum in cycling won't benefit anybody other than the shrewdest operators who thrive in such situations.
    For instance the oligarchs who thrived in the post-soviet chaos and corruption. Thank goodness there are none of those anywhere near cycling :?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Slowbike wrote:
    Oh - and as mroli pointed out - PMQ is quite happy slinging mud at those he's accusing of being mudslingers ... without the slightest shred of evidence ... hmm ... I've got a black kettle here - anyone seen the pot?!
    Oh I can't say I see it but the noise it makes can be heard even here, plainly shouting "Black"
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972