Funny Place Names

Comments

• There's one near Maltby called Cumwell lane

I recall one called Birds bush in Tamworth as well :)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    pease wrote:
    Fanny hands lane does exist (google maps it) strangely it's a dead end road ....

Is there a neatly trimmed bush at the entrance?

And is it closed to traffic once a month?
    There an alternative entrance for when it is closed, but it is down a dirt track.

anusfrance.jpg

That routes ok as long as you take it steady and don't go too fast :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • The famous town in Donegal Ireland is MUFF.

• I ride past this road quite often near Bradfield in Berks, never ventured that way though...
  • No jacket required on this particular ride in North Warwickshire
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    There's a couple in N.Leics which sound odd. Griffydam and Nanpantan.

as for street names.
    Castle Donnington seems to have more than it's fair share with "The Biggin", "Spittal" and the really weird "Barroon".

I once visited a place where there was a street called "Chemistry".

The older I get, the better I was.

• Slag Lane, That's near me
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    Crooked Usage is a road I pass in Finchley
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    wilsford-cum-lake.jpg

In Wiltshire. Smells a bit.
  • On the way into Chesterfield from Arkwright area , as you get near to the Calow Hospital, there's an area on the map called COCK ALLEY!!!!

Clearly it's not somewhere to ride in tight lycra!!!!
    Who on earth dreams them up!!!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    A real village in Austria. Apparently British tourist kept stealing the village signs, which led to the mayor of the town compaling that 'someone keeps nicking our F***ing signs'.

Fucking_Austria_street_sign_cropped.jpg
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    Sodafarl wrote:
    The famous town in Donegal Ireland is MUFF.
    and if you fancy some underwater exploration there's http://www.muffdivingclub.ie/
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • Not far from me...

2013-09-08090508-1_zps4652b2fc.jpg
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    This is Lord Hereford's Knob

148545_28c62f0b.jpg
  • arran77
    Looks like a hill with a load of sheep to me :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    dumb-woman.jpg
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
  • arran77
    Well this mornings ride took me past Hussy Lane, you can't beat a bit of Hampshire hussy!!

seanoconn
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    absolutely fabulous place to cycle around, great country side, some amazing old houses, is the one with the towers some kind of oast house? (Street view, not from memory)
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • arran77
    team47b wrote:
    absolutely fabulous place to cycle around, great country side, some amazing old houses, is the one with the towers some kind of oast house? (Street view, not from memory)

There are some amazing houses, I can but dream!!

I think there are quite a few old oast houses in this part of the world.

seanoconn
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    There's a lane that I cycle up just outside Ashbourne in Derbys that's called "Lady Hole Lane".
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    In Conisborough Near Doncaster
    300px-Butt_Hole_Road.jpg

Great Cockup,LakeDistrict
    280px-Great_Cockup_and_Skiddaw_from_Longlands_Fell.jpg

There's also a Village called Wetwang in East Yorkshire :mrgreen:
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    There's a road in Southport called Cockle Dick's lane.

maps?q=Cockle+Dick%27s+Lane,+Southport&hl=en&ll=53.659899,-2.977724&spn=0.006396,0.021136&sll=53.861162,-2.56481&sspn=0.81475,2.705383&oq=cockle&t=h&hnear=Cockle+Dick%27s+Ln,+Southport,+Sefton,+United+Kingdom&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.659974,-2.977764&panoid=NNi4j3VGUxxLFmEDY2LFaw&cbp=12,63.45,,2,19.86
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    1794063178_b59a23e401_z.jpg?zz=1

snort...
  • Gropecunt Lane

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Magpie Lane in Oxford, once known as Gropecunt Lane
    Gropecunt Lane /ˈɡroʊpkʌnt ˈleɪn/ was a street name found in English towns and cities during the Middle Ages, believed to be a reference to the prostitution centred on those areas; it was normal practice for a medieval street name to reflect the street's function or the economic activity taking place within it. Gropecunt, the earliest known use of which is in about 1230, appears to have been derived as a compound of the words grope and cunt. Streets with that name were often in the busiest parts of medieval towns and cities, and at least one appears to have been an important thoroughfare.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    As a kid I walked down here every morning!!

6734208_f260.jpg
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Leeds has a 4 Skinner Lane.

The Gropecunt Lane in Banbury was apparently re-named Parsons Street (still there) after the Civil War. Whether this is down to a moral cleansing exercise by Presbyterian folk, or because Parsons were often seen in the area is unclear.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    No doubt a fun place to visit:

133-The-glory-hole-church-center.jpg