Helmet for £40

blue123
blue123 Posts: 24
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Okay, the new bike is nearly sorted......

Now looking for a helmet, about £40????

Any recommended?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Whatever fits best.
    You can get a Bell or Giro off Ebay for about £15. Decent helmets.
    If they fit - go try some on.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I like my Specialized Align. Good value at £30 (if it fits you as well as it does me), and backed up by their half price crash replacement guarantee.
  • i have a Specialized Align which is pretty decent considering it wasn't very expensive
  • I have a couple cheap Bell helmets for commuting, perfectly good helmets, my last one passed the head butting a Freelander test, I binned it after that. Can't complain for less than £20. I got my new one for £10 in a sale at Halfords.
    Although I have a nicer Giro Hex for mountain biking I would happily use one of my cheap ones, they are just a little heavier and the pad material isn't quite as nice, they protect just as well.
  • I am on my second met xilo. They are great helmets. Well ventilated, flat on top to fit a magicshine/go pro mount to, and they work well in a crash as I found out.
  • my last one passed the head butting a Freelander test, I binned it after that.

The helmet, or the Freelander?
  • I've got a 2013 Giro Feature was £40 from UKBikeStore...great helmet (for my head) - load of colours too
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I've got a 2013 Giro Feature was £40 from UKBikeStore...great helmet (for my head) - load of colours too

+1 I love mine.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I've got a 2013 Giro Feature was £40 from UKBikeStore...great helmet (for my head) - load of colours too

They're £50 on there now. How do you find it on hot days, with the minimal venting? Does it get overly warm?
  • prawny
    I've got a 2013 Giro Feature was £40 from UKBikeStore...great helmet (for my head) - load of colours too

They're £50 on there now. How do you find it on hot days, with the minimal venting? Does it get overly warm?

Mine was a bit sweaty in the summer, but it didn't feel any hotter than any other helmet I've had particularly. Try fatbirds.co.uk too for cheap features.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Fine through an Alpine summer (saying that, normally not wearing it for the climbs over here)

Trek Session 8
  • Cheers. I've been contemplating buying a lid that's more trail/AM styled (more coverage), and the Feature's one I'd looked at.
  • Ive got a feature. Really like it, and i can't say i have ever felt it gets too hot. Its also the only helmet that doesn't look like its just perched on top of my head. Very good coverage.
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Another vote for the Giro Feature. The most comfortable helmet i've had
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • widge34 wrote:
    Another vote for the Giro Feature. The most comfortable helmet i've had

Hope your all right! just bought one from Evans

Cheers
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Think I might go try one on tomorrow.
  • prawny
    Shit for mounting lights on though ;)
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • ...no prob for GoPro mounts though

Trek Session 8
  • prawny
    ...no prob for GoPro mounts though

Sticky? Or velcro strap?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Went to try one on today, but the shop stocks pretty much evety Giro apart from the Feature. Anyone know how the fit compares to the Hex?
  • Couldn't find a medium to try on locally (LBS only had small and large), so taken a chance and ordered a medium in black from t'internet for £39.89. Hope it fits...
  • prawny
    I got mine online, fits similar to other giro helmets I've had before. Had to have a small in the feature which is odd, my head is 58cm but a medium was a fair bit too big
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    I got mine online, fits similar to other giro helmets I've had before. Had to have a small in the feature which is odd, my head is 58cm but a medium was a fair bit too big

Medium Hex fits me nicely, so hoping the Feature will too. My head measures 58cm too, but small was way too tight, could only just squash it onto my head.
  • prawny
    If it comes to it you can always swap it. It's possible my medium had a faulty adjuster it looked right, but just didn't tighten up enough and it flopped about with a torch on the top.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    If it comes to it you can always swap it. It's possible my medium had a faulty adjuster it looked right, but just didn't tighten up enough and it flopped about with a torch on the top.

I tried the small and large, which were too small and too large respectively (I knew the large would be way too big, just wanted to try get a feel for the shell shape), so medium will be the right size, it's just a question of whether the fit's right for my head. If not I'll return it or sell it on (which reminds me, I must try sell that brand new, boxed Specialized Tactic that I bought a while back...).
  • Mines just arrived. Very happy the way it fits and feels. Especially happy its bright green!
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • kirby700 wrote:
    Mines just arrived. Very happy the way it fits and feels. Especially happy its bright green!

I toyed with buying the green (it would match the green bits on my bike), but went for stealth black instead (I liked the gloss black with green graphic, but couldn't get one of those for £40).
  • Purely accidental I've been buying grey / green cycling clothes for years and have always just bought black helmets so thought it would be nice for a change. The green is spot on for boardman bikes too.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • kirby700 wrote:
    The green is spot on for boardman bikes too.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking (especially with my green grips), but it was a bit loud for me (I bought a grey Muddy Fox jersey with lime green sides, but I've stopped there, lol). And black goes with everything, lol.
  • Mine arrived this morning. Looks good in stealth black, fits well (albeit not quite as comfy as my Specialized across the forehaed, but more protective and better looking), the straps don't catch on my ears and it looks about as non twatty on my head as any cycle helmet's ever going to, so a good purchase at £39.89, I reckon.