Why do people like...?

Comments

• jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Linked to French and Saunders - as i think they're funny but their sketch shows aren't - I submit Little Britain: funny character actors but this particular sketch show got tired after the first series.
  • Let's be honest, the whole place is a pale shadow of it's former self, so the Missus says.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    jawooga wrote:
    French and Saunders is a tricky one for me. Pretending to be fat male sexists wasn't funny. Some of the latter Ab Fab weren't funny on account of being tired, same old cliches and otd acting. However, I think the pair of them have funny bones. When they do their bank holiday radio 2 shows, i find them hilarious - but then it's in the same way i like Mel and Sue.

Don't recall Dawn French pretending to be fat.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I'm going to add another one.

Formula 1. Lots of very similar cars driving round a dull track, with commentators getting over-excited about tyres.

Seriously, I mean a sport where tyres are a major topic of interest? And all the qualifying guff that goes with it, that's even more dull. Driving round in a circle but not racing. Like a time trial where it doesn't matter who wins, not really.

AND now they put if on the radio!! FFS, how pointless is that?

What makes it worse is that there are other types of motorsport - eg rallying - which are far more interesting, where something actually happens and where the skill levels are just as high - but no-one seems interested.

Baffling.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • VTech wrote:
    itunes, the way it will ringfence music so you lose it to itunes.
    Apple Corp, hype, hype, hype.
    Coldplay.

The "ring fence" has saved the music industry, I dont know of many record labels or artists that dont like itunes ?

Its shite though, constant updates, wont let you do what you want with music you have purchased and are tied into Apple products. I went into the Apple store in Bluewater the other week and it was full of wannkers, hate it.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    VTech wrote:
    itunes, the way it will ringfence music so you lose it to itunes.
    Apple Corp, hype, hype, hype.
    Coldplay.

The "ring fence" has saved the music industry, I dont know of many record labels or artists that dont like itunes ?

Its shite though, constant updates, wont let you do what you want with music you have purchased and are tied into Apple products. I went into the Apple store in Bluewater the other week and it was full of wannkers, hate it.
    100% with you dmclite but I think I know where you're going wrong...

Don't go in the store! What did you expect? seriously!
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    SecretSam wrote:
    So, why do people like the following things - they are all utterly over-rated IMHO:

- Dyson cleaners: a triumph of marketing over engineering
    - Strawberries: nice, but nothing special
    - The Lakeland Catalogue: lots of expensive tat that no-one really needs
    - Caviar: gritty and unpleasant.

Anyone got anything else to add to the list? I'm open to debate on any of the above.

Dyson agree - get a Henry instead
    Like strawberries just nothing that is strawbeery flavoured - the strawbeery squeezy sauce you get for ice cream is vile.
    A few decent things but mostly rubbish - same with pampered chef
    Caviar - no thanks, tried it and I imagine that eating frogspawn would taste similar.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    edited September 2013
    SecretSam wrote:
    So, why do people like the following things - they are all utterly over-rated IMHO:

- Dyson cleaners: a triumph of marketing over engineering
    - Strawberries: nice, but nothing special
    - The Lakeland Catalogue: lots of expensive tat that no-one really needs
    - Caviar: gritty and unpleasant.

Anyone got anything else to add to the list? I'm open to debate on any of the above.

Dyson's ongoing war on damp hands. What's going on there? Every time I stop at a motorway service station there seems to be a new model of Dyson hand drier in there, each alleged to be faster than the last at blowing water all over your trousers. Why?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Strawberries taste nice from mid-July to mid-September. Apart from that they are bland flavourless things. It's the desire to have every food available regardless of season that leads to supermarkets stocking them when they aren't fit to eat.
  • The Beatles, there I've said it. IMO possibly the most overrated band of all time. I do believe I'm in the minority though.

#tinhatwellandtrulyon ;-)
    At the erse end o' a coo!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Similar to Coo'sTail

Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon - Seriously are you not old enough not to get excited by the word sex in a song?!?!?

Gah!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    The Beatles, there I've said it. IMO possibly the most overrated band of all time. I do believe I'm in the minority though.

I agree they are overrated, but I confess to liking a few of their classics, Yesterday and Long and Winding Road.
    But what is it with this guy and his thumb?

paul-mccartney-thumbs-up-o.gif
    paul_2076628c.jpg
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    SecretSam wrote:
    Seriously, I mean a sport where tyres are a major topic of interest?

like mountainbiking in the uk ?? :) you're right about F1 though, it's a charade
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The Beatles, there I've said it. IMO possibly the most overrated band of all time. I do believe I'm in the minority though.

See also Elvis, Frank Sinatra and Michael Jackson . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Ok, here's another one... Pinarello bikes..I don't get it, they're good bikes of that there's no doubt, but suddenly, since Team Skys usage, their "want rating" has gone through the roof, but each to their own I guess, but I know there are far better bikes at the top end costing no more than the dogma etc....but I guess everyone has their pet stuff..I'm no different!!
  • Ok, here's another one... Pinarello bikes..I don't get it, they're good bikes of that there's no doubt, but suddenly, since Team Skys usage, their "want rating" has gone through the roof, but each to their own I guess, but I know there are far better bikes at the top end costing no more than the dogma etc....but I guess everyone has their pet stuff..I'm no different!!

+1

Can't stand all the wiggly bits...

+1

Can't stand all the wiggly bits...

+1
  • Giraffoto wrote:

There's a difference between a band/artist being overrated and just not being to your taste. All of the above have been important in terms of pure talent, influence, innovation and/or style. Some other bands/artists that might not be to your taste but whose importance cannot be denied... Bjork, Led Zep, Queen, Prince, Biggy Smalls, Radiohead, Hendrix.

It's hard not to find a song by the Beatles that you will like. They have a huge back catalogue, 4 song writers and of those, Lennon and McCartney are two of the greatest songwriters the world has seen. Then again you may just not be able to get beyond thinking McCartney is a doofus in which case you have a fair point but you're missing out on plenty.

Here's two good ones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6iAykoKLog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xL1ffMlzKY

Part of the problem with many bands/artists is that only a tiny selection of their songs get played on the radio. Hence if you don't like Stevie Wonder's Superstition, you might not think you like Stevie Wonder as that's pretty much the only song they play on the radio which is crazy considering he's written a huge number of songs and is one of the greatest soul voices ever.

Some bands are just rubbish though and you can certainly give yourself a pat on the back if you said Dido, James Blunt or Toploader were cr@p when they came out, because history has proven you right.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    1. Miranda
    2. Florence and the Machine

Anyone who likes either of those has serious issues.
  • Giraffoto wrote:

There's a difference between a band/artist being overrated and just not being to your taste. All of the above have been important in terms of pure talent, influence, innovation and/or style. Some other bands/artists that might not be to your taste but whose importance cannot be denied... Bjork, Led Zep, Queen, Prince, Biggy Smalls, Radiohead, Hendrix.

It's hard not to find a song by the Beatles that you will like. They have a huge back catalogue, 4 song writers and of those, Lennon and McCartney are two of the greatest songwriters the world has seen. Then again you may just not be able to get beyond thinking McCartney is a doofus in which case you have a fair point but you're missing out on plenty.

Here's two good ones...

Part of the problem with many bands/artists is that only a tiny selection of their songs get played on the radio. Hence if you don't like Stevie Wonder's Superstition, you might not think you like Stevie Wonder as that's pretty much the only song they play on the radio which is crazy considering he's written a huge number of songs and is one of the greatest soul voices ever.

Some bands are just rubbish though and you can certainly give yourself a pat on the back if you said Dido, James Blunt or Toploader were cr@p when they came out, because history has proven you right.

Most of their material is not to my taste your correct. I find it vastly overrated. I do accept that this may not be any fault of theirs though. Radio, TV, Media being influenced by record companies to "force feed" Joe Public their band of choice is probably more to blame. Hence the reason I rarely listen to music on the radio and choose to play my own choice instead.

By the way, I do agree with you on those other artists you named, along with most of the cr@p from the 80's! :wink:
  • Giraffoto wrote:

Here's two good ones...

Most of their material is not to my taste your correct. I find it vastly overrated. I do accept that this may not be any fault of theirs though. Radio, TV, Media being influenced by record companies to "force feed" Joe Public their band of choice is probably more to blame. Hence the reason I rarely listen to music on the radio and choose to play my own choice instead.

By the way, I do agree with you on those other artists you named, along with most of the cr@p from the 80's! :wink:

While i'm not defending radio stations, the only thing I want to mention is that playing your own choice leaves you missing a hell of a lot of the 'new/current' music stuff. Some can be good, but the rest of the shite on Kiss and the likes is just horrible.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    mfin wrote:
    1. Miranda

What species is 'it'?! I also believe that 'it' was worshipped at the dawn of time:

5lKWka29.jpg
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • SecretSam wrote:
    I'm going to add another one.

Formula 1. Lots of very similar cars driving round a dull track, with commentators getting over-excited about tyres.

Seriously, I mean a sport where tyres are a major topic of interest? And all the qualifying guff that goes with it, that's even more dull. Driving round in a circle but not racing. Like a time trial where it doesn't matter who wins, not really.

AND now they put if on the radio!! FFS, how pointless is that?

What makes it worse is that there are other types of motorsport - eg rallying - which are far more interesting, where something actually happens and where the skill levels are just as high - but no-one seems interested.

Baffling.

The late, great Humphrey Lyttelton once summed up F1 on an episode of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue as "grown men in romper suits driving mobile fag packets round in circles for two hours". :)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Giraffoto wrote:

Here's two good ones...

While i'm not defending radio stations, the only thing I want to mention is that playing your own choice leaves you missing a hell of a lot of the 'new/current' music stuff. Some can be good, but the rest of the shite on Kiss and the likes is just horrible.

That's a valid point, I do loose touch a bit with the new/current stuff.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

Here's two good ones...

It is a taste issue, but those tracks are just awful examples of songwriting by the Beatles, they are (to me anyway) nothing more than 'album filler', For No One stinks of lyrics (poorly crafted obvious 5th form poetry C-grade ones at that) being welded into any old tune. The other track Tomorrow Never Knows is just plain poor.

Just my opinion, but with only tracks like that the Beatles would have got absolutely nowhere.
  • Ha. Well that's fair enough, of course it's a matter of taste. Music of all kinds is meaningful to all kinds of people and sometimes it's a mystery why something one person considers utter tripe can be meaningful to another. For me, I find myself liking all kinds of songs that have an effective melody or lyrics tha strike a chord with me. Can you give us an example of a tune you feel better illustrates the songwriters art?
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    "In this ever changing world in which we live in" P. McCartney

Surely the worst lyric ever written!
  • secretsam
    Giraffoto wrote:

See also Elvis, Madonna and Michael Jackson . . .

Fixed that for you

Agree on the Beatles, some cracking tunes but generally, I can take them or leave them

The Kinks, on the other hand, were ace (as was/is Scott Walker)

• secretsam
    The late, great Humphrey Lyttelton once summed up F1 on an episode of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue as "grown men in romper suits driving mobile fag packets round in circles for two hours". :)

What a legend that man was, saw him and his band support Radiohead once, a truly surreal experience :lol:

Top, top man (and SIHAC is a fab show, truly hilarious)

• secretsam

To which I would add Scissor Sisters, any X-factor/stars up their arse/etc winner/runner-up, the vast majority of anything in the top 40 right now, everything the Stones have done since about 1975, and Basement Jaxx, all utter, utter shite.

I assume you are excluding The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Jesus and Mary Chain, (early) New Order, The Chameleons, early Hip-Hop (etc), some cracking pop from Duran Duran (among others)...I could go on, but I won't... :roll: