a short vid of a collision involving a cyclist

seiken77
seiken77 Posts: 33
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
Sometimes it is better to wait a bit longer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZAm-57WIVc
Cyclist, Motorcyclist, Driver and Pedestrian... sometimes even a Tube Sardine...
http://www.youtube.com/bikerspov

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Narrower handlebars required, obviously.

He should have got a bike with drops.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Cyclist's fault that one, well done for staying upright mind...
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Cyclist's fault, he should have seen the car was indicating.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Silly billy.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    what a d!ckhead what was wrong with drafting the bus?

If I were that car driver I'd have been furious.
  • definitely a twat... I see this sort of cycling (drafting a bus or lorry) so often its surprising I haven't witnessed more accidents.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • Hybrid riders: know your place!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Ha ha. That's got to hurt the old knackers !
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    edited September 2013
    Sometimes I watch these vids and think the cyclist's riding contributed to the accident and reflect that I may have put myself in similar situations in the past. In this case as soon as he pulled into the gap between the bus and the car I winced. That's not a position I would ever put myself in.
  • Kudos to him for staying upright and refusing to clutch his man hood out of embarrassment.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    What a knob. TBF, car does get held up by right-turning van, indicates late and positions car in bike path... but he shouldn't have been there in the first place.
  • sketchley
    Things he's doing wrong include.

Riding in the car's blind spot
    Not anticipating the danger of the right turning van (or the junction in general)
    Not spotting the indicator on the car
    Riding between a bus and car at speed without ensuring either driver knows he's there
    Riding a hybrid....

Car driver should have looked twice as well and isn't without blame but bad riding first and foremost. Although I doubt the cyclist saw it that way. Anyone on here know who it is?
    --
    Chris

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    See this is the other side of the story and ultimately why no one wins when it comes to discussions about improving road safety.

The cyclist isn't just in the blind spot of the car I doubt the bus driver can see him either. His positioning is the equivalent of being on the inside of a left turning vehicle at the lights.

It's stupid, foolhardy cycling and there really is no excuse for it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I made the mistake of reading the comments on youtube. Error on my part.

A few of the commentors say the driver should have done a shoulder check before moving around the van. These people obviously don't know how to drive very well. The only time a driver should do a shoulder check is when moving out from a parking space, otherwise, mirrors should suffice.
    However, if some idiot (like the cyclist in the video), rides in the blindspot, collisions like this will happen.

Filtering at speed between a bus and cars past a junction whilst on a hybrid...Almost a Darwin award winner.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    The only time a driver should do a shoulder check is when moving out from a parking space, otherwise, mirrors should suffice.

Well that's just plain wrong isn't it? A shoulder check (lifesaver) is done to ensure there's nothing in your blind spot whilst moving left or right. Unless you are really, really certain nothing has crept into your blind spot, do a check. This is a Motorcyclsts 101 because they usually come of worst if something happens to be where they're moving to.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    typical hybrid bandit, can't stand those fools.
  • DonDaddyD
    edited September 2013
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    The only time a driver should do a shoulder check is when moving out from a parking space, otherwise, mirrors should suffice.

I can't believe you just typed that. It is really quite ridiculous.

Any time you are driving a vehicle and about to perform a manoeuvre you should check your blindspots to avoid potential situations like the one in the video.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I can't believe you just said that. It is really quite ridiculous.

Any time you are driving a vehicle and about to perform a manoeuvre you should check your blindspots to avoid potential situations like the one in the video.
    Anyone else find that after they you start cycling regularly you end up shoulder checking while pushing a trolley in a supermarket, or even when just walking down the street? :D
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I can't believe you just said that. It is really quite ridiculous.

Anyone else find that after they you start cycling regularly you end up shoulder checking while pushing a trolley in a supermarket, or even when just walking down the street? :D

I wonder if hybrid-riding shoalers find themselves pushing in front of people in supermarket queues?
  • EKE_38BPM
    You guys must spend half of your time facing backwards when driving forwards in heavy traffic.
    What do you do if you are driving a van (with no windows behind the front doors)? Unless you have X-Ray vision, a shoulder check won't tell you anything. I'm not saying that you don't look through the door window, but that is pretty much accomplished at the same time as the mirror check.
    You have to set up and use your mirrors properly and carefully though.

Considering my training to be a driving instructor, I stand by my position.

• sketchley
    I can back eke up, even if I don't necessarily agree with it... Mrs Sketchley is recently qualified driving instructor, she explained that shoulder checks except when pulling out will mean a failed test. Mirrors should be used in moving traffic as a shoulder check would mean eyes being always from front and centre for longer.

She also had examiner give her a driving fault fault for incorrect road positioning on her part 2 because she didn't drive in non-mandatory cycle lane when it was empty empty. The examiner's view, shared by a couple of other instructors i spoke with about it, is that you should as it can be interpreted as 'necessary' to maintain correct distance from the curb and Highway Code says not to drive in them unless 'necessary'. Again not something I agreed with but then again neither did Mrs Sketchley or her instructor.....
    --
    Chris

• EKE_38BPM
    Cheers, Sketchers me old mucker.

• DonDaddyD
    edited September 2013
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    You would have been a shite driving instructor:

Rule 161: Mirrors. All mirrors should be used effectively throughout your journey. You should

•Be aware that mirrors do not cover all areas and there will be blind spots. You will need to look round and check

Rule 163: Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

• use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out

I mean honestly, its just irresponsible to advise people that they don't need to check their blind spot when they're making a manouvre. Imagine doing that on the motorway for example.

In fact tell me where in the highway code it says that you shouldn't check your blind spot when making a manouvre?
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

• use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out

I mean honestly, its just irresponsible to advise people that they don't need to check their blind spot when they're making a manouvre. Imagine doing that on the motorway for example.

Maybe I would have been a shite driving instructor, but if you read Sketchley's post you would have seen that I am right.
    Or maybe you know better than someone who has done the training recently and someone who is married to someone who qualified recently and has spoken about this exact subject.

I wish I was DDD, then I'd know everything and would always be right.

• EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Also, Rule 163 says "sideways glance", not over the shoulder i.e.backwards, check.
    Assuming one second to do your shoulder check, that is over 30 metres at motorway speeds. Thats a long way to travel facing the wrong direction.

• EKE_38BPM
    Ooh, an edit from DDD.

Tell me where in the Highway Code it tells you that you shouldn't tie your shoelaces when driving at 70mph in heavy fog twenty metres from the vehicle in front.

If you bring up a stupid point, I'll bring up one too

• DonDaddyD
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Maybe I would have been a shite driving instructor, but if you read Sketchley's post you would have seen that I am right.
    Or maybe you know better than someone who has done the training recently and someone who is married to someone who qualified recently and has spoken about this exact subject.

I wish I was DDD, then I'd know everything and would always be right.

Tell me where in the highway code it says that you shouldn't check your blind spot when making a manouvre?
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    I refer you to my previous post.

• It is always best to check your blind spot - there may be a pretty girl in it.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • DonDaddyD
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Also, Rule 163 says "sideways glance", not over the shoulder i.e.backwards, check.
    Assuming one second to do your shoulder check, that is over 30 metres at motorway speeds. Thats a long way to travel facing the wrong direction.

Whatever the movement, a shoulder check or glance, the qualifier of that bullet point is that you check the blind spot area.
    Tell me where in the Highway Code it tells you that you shouldn't tie your shoelaces when driving at 70mph in heavy fog twenty metres from the vehicle in front.

If you bring up a stupid point, I'll bring up one too

It really isn't a stupid point I've raised though is it? It is a reasonable question. You've made a statement and I've asked you to back it up. It is not my fault that you cannot and it is not my fault that your best efforts at deflection are pathetic attempts to claim you've been asked a stupid question. I ask again, and supposedly, what with your 'driving instructor training', you are the best person to ask; where in the highcode does it suggest that the following is correct?
    EKE wrote:

Also 253 to 273 of the Highway Code focuses on Motorways.

267: Do not overtake unless you are sure it is safe and legal to do so. Overtake only on the right. You should

take a quick sideways glance into the blind spot area to verify the position of a vehicle that may have disappeared from your view in the mirror.
    Food Chain number = 4