The 'Services' thread. Warning: May include rations pack

Comments

• [/quote]
    Yer but what Squadron. Bradley, Penny , Rawson or Scott? your a bit older than me 87c Rawson

zmcq.jpg
    [/quote]

Great pic fella,always brings a smile seeing that stuff.
  • Sandyballs wrote:
    Harrogate, pah Arborfield was a real Apprentice College.

Too right mate.... 76b intake.
    Basic training in the drought of 76 - jeez that was a warm one.
    Change parades - best one was PT kit with flasher mac and respirator...!
    What sort of evil mind thinks these things (and worse) up ???
    Worst thing was pokee drill - I was 8st wringing wet - trying to hold up an SLR by the barrel with my weedy little bicep, no contest - the SLR won every time.
  • vitesse169 wrote:
    Sandyballs wrote:

Worst thing was pokee drill - I was 8st wringing wet - trying to hold up an SLR by the barrel with my weedy little bicep, no contest - the SLR won every time.

:cry:
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • tim wand wrote:
    Yossie wrote:
    The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The only two higher levels in France are "Collaborate" and "Surrender." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France 's white flag factory, effectively paralysing the country's military capability."

This whole post was funny but this in particular made me chuckle... :D

Me too, reminded me of NATO exercises such as Lionheart, where the French and Belgiques would end ex as soon as it started raining.

But to be fair with the French position on Syria and the fact that we now produce over 700 variety of cheeses in this country, are we still in a positon to call them" Fromange Mange laisse tomber singes.

or something like that.

Hehe, cheese eating surrender monkeys always gets a chuckle out of me. :-)

I tried to sign up when I was 17, my dad served in 3RTR for 16 years and came out in '84. He also told me to get a trade and not to join the Infantry. I wanted to drive a tank, just like my dad but they said I was too skinny and they wouldn't let me join up.
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Good thread! not as 'old school' as some of you lot being 25182638 but bearing in mind the sprogs who in my last year were coming in with numbers 31...... and upwards it made me feel old!

I joined up at 16 years old in September 2003 and left late 2009, sometimes wish I was still there but always glad I did it.
  • vitesse169 wrote:
    Sandyballs wrote:

Another ex-PMC boy here (89C). Loved the REME so much I transferred shortly after I left. :P
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • vitesse169 wrote:
    Sandyballs wrote:

Another ex-PMC boy here (89C). Loved the REME so much I transferred shortly after I left. :P

Bloody hell - you joined up a year after I left !!! Makes me feel really old now.....
  • vitesse169 wrote:
    Sandyballs wrote:

89C Nig, 89B trumps that. :D
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    To the Harrogaters....what trades?
    Change parades...great in hindsight!
    "Remedial swimming gear. 2 mins. Outside. Go!" :? :D
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    I'm being entertained by the military wives choir shortly. :D

They look good. Really good! :D

Apologies in advance husbands.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    seanoconn wrote:

You still trying to get some of that MILF action :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

I'm trying to separate one from the pack but it's not happening.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

I'm trying to separate one from the pack but it's not happening.

Intriguing :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    RC856 wrote:

._. _ _ _ . or RTG . Started out as an EWOP but couldn't handle Russian.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    tim wand wrote:
    RC856 wrote:

._. _ _ _ . or RTG . Started out as an EWOP but couldn't handle Russian.

Ah, had the initial language test which bombed so ended up a Tele Op Spec
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Right, BB meeting - next Saturday at 18:00, Drover's Arms, Sennybridge. Beer is on me all night as I'm celebrating.

Be there or be square.
  • Yossie wrote:
    Right, BB meeting - next Saturday at 18:00, Drover's Arms, Sennybridge. Beer is on me all night as I'm celebrating.

Be there or be square.

Last time I was at Sennybridge I had to knock ice off my smock after running up and down the pairs range, did the horrible assault course and then tabbed all the way back to camp soaking wet. In February after being on exercise for a fortnight. It was horrible.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • tim_wand
    Yossie wrote:

Be there or be square.

Last time I was at Sennybridge I had to knock ice off my smock after running up and down the pairs range, did the horrible assault course and then tabbed all the way back to camp soaking wet. In February after being on exercise for a fortnight. It was horrible.

Some how think an all expenses paid night on the lash there with Yossie would be more damaging though.

Damn generous offer though.

You and VP finally taking the plunge Yossie?
  • Yossie
    tim wand wrote:
    Yossie wrote:

Be there or be square.

Some how think an all expenses paid night on the lash there with Yossie would be more damaging though.

Damn generous offer though.

You and VP finally taking the plunge Yossie?

Not quite yet - she still hates me but has a special smile that she only uses for me.

We're staying at Ffrwd-wen farmhouse in case anyone is passing by - proper coffee always on the go.
  • Yossie
    This year's Cambrian Patrol coming up in the next couple of weeks.

I may buy some new socks. Then again, I may not. I wonder if the old "half breeze block in someone's Bergen" trick will come out again?
  • Yossie wrote:

I may buy some new socks. Then again, I may not. I wonder if the old "half breeze block in someone's Bergen" trick will come out again?

How about a poo in an old tupperware box secreted in a mates bergen ? You lot still mincing in meindls or do you have your own gucci-go fasters ? I used to use Karrimor KSB or scarpas with yeti gaiters whence in Wales.
  • Yossie
    Gucci'd up my son - to the neck. Must admit to being a Lowa man. Frickin ali I look when I'm out and about in public. More like Alfred Steptoe in private .......
  • tim_wand
    NI boots with Sorbathane insoles if it was dry. Or Lundhags if it was wet.

Defo go for the breeze blocks but soak it in water over night first.

Remember Yosse " its an exercise not a competition" Yer Right.
  • Yossie
    tim wand wrote:
    NI boots with Sorbathane insoles if it was dry. Or Lundhags if it was wet.

Defo go for the breeze blocks but soak it in water over night first.

Remember Yosse " its an exercise not a competition" Yer Right.

Bollox. We're not going there to come second :)
  • Yossie
    Oh - and take that stupid sling off - its no use if its on your back/shoulder/around your ears.
  • tim_wand
    Yossie wrote:
    Oh - and take that stupid sling off - its no use if its on your back/shoulder/around your ears.

Depends always found firing the Gimpy from the hip was hit with the ladies.

Never had the "Joy/pain" of the LSW.

(Being honest ours was a converted Bren, half the time you used to have to check you hadn't left the fookin thing behind and was only carrying the barrel.
  • Yossie wrote:

I fell for that one years ago, always a favourite!!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I object.

I am objectionable :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    Bumped: Re.: Clemency for Commando who shot insurgent.

I wanted the squaddies view on it.

Personally, I bet there are things that would make the GP's skin crawl if it were known.
    I guess if I had to watch who I spoke to, watch every footstep, watch over my shoulder all the time, wonder if there was a bomb underneath my ladrover/under that Burka, I would develop a hatred for the insurgents and treat them with complete disdain.
    Hrad to imagine what life is like for a soldier of any description in that environment.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tim_wand
    The only thing that keeps you going and keeps your head straight, Other than looking out for the man next to you and knowing he's looking out for you, Is rightly or wrongly thinking You are doing the right thing.

It might be Hollywood and Stone but the first "Casualty of War is Innocence" thing ain't all right!!!

Part of my Job in Op Granby (Gulf 90/ 91) was Casevac and I m pleased to say everything I bandaged up or put on a stretcher was theirs and not ours, but I would certainly not ever consider helping them on their way no matter what.

Being the ultimate professionals is what always made the British armed forces the best! no question !

IMO and IME the Marines are the best of that best and this incident is a sad indictment on that proud Corps.

There is a mentality that what happens is all part of the Fog of War and I would be lying if I said I didn't witness what I considered minor indiscretions such as the feeding of Pork rations to Muslim prisoner's in places such as Black adder POW camp.

But in these days of full media disclosure by what we then called PONTYS (people of no tactical significance/ the press) anything even as seemly innocuous as this is just fuel for the enemy.

We need to be the Ultimate professionals to have any legitimacy in what we do and If we are not we will only be bringing fire down upon ourselves and our colleagues and Ultimately the nation we have served to protect.

Its Armistice day Tomorrow and the Actions of One should not taint the Bravery of Many.