Winter Layers

Wormishere1
Wormishere1 Posts: 284
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Just trying to get ready for winter....its closing in fast.

Is there much difference (worth paying extra for) between a cheap waterproof jacket such as http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-minima-s-waterproof-jacket/ and a more expensive one such as http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-night-vision-jacket/ ? It seems that the more expensive jackets are more suited to commuitng, i.e. the money is spent on reflective technology rather than waterproofing.

Do most people just keep something like that in their pack until it rains etc? I was planning to just ride the autumn with a long sleeve base layer and a mid weight jacket. Is that the norm?

Also planning on getting a pair of leg warmers until things get more extreme, then switch to a pair of tights.

Does this sound about right?
Remember Rule #5

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Waterproof=hot and sweaty, only worth wearing one if it's raining harder than you'll sweat!

I ride mostly in a short sleeve base and long sleeve over, if it gets chilly (circa 0-+5) a long sleeve base comes out, below -2 and I wear a thin fleece under the cycling top. I hav some new warmers uner my baggies when it gets cold.

If your wearing that lot you'll either boil or you aren't actually riding the bike but standing around!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Waterproofs for me are for emergency downpours. Packable one goes in the Camelbak if it looks like it might rain. Softshell jacket and and layers will handle pretty much everything else. I've never ridden out in a waterproof - if it's raining that hard I just don't bother going out.

I use legwarmers myself and then move on to full length Endura Singletrack trousers when it gets nippy
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Waterproof=hot and sweaty, only worth wearing one if it's raining harder than you'll sweat!
    True in most cheap waterproofs, you'll find the more expensive ones will use breathable waterproof fabrics like Gortex or eVent. You'll probably still get sweaty if you're pushing hard, but not as much.

What sort of riding will you be doing?
  • Even the most breathable waterproof fabrics on earth will still mean you end up soaking from sweat if you're pushing yourself when riding

packable waterproof comes in handy if you need to stop for some reason, say, to fix a puncture or somesuch.
  • Also remember that some things that claim to be waterproof are not, or are not breathable. to get a good quality waterproof and breathable jacket can be expensive.

I tend to ride with a baselayer, a fleece or other type of softshell jacket, and if it looks dodgy I have a Montane Featherlite smock that packs down very well and will give good shower protection. If its really crap I have relied for years on a Buffalo Mountain shirt on its own. Great piece of kit.
  • Cheers, I think I will spend a little more on the base layers than the waterproof then. I have a Helly Hansen one at the moment but it is shrinking week by week in the wash - not good - although it is damn good.

Cheers for the advice. The Endura Pakajak looks quite good - although it says it is only showerproof so might have to up the anti and I intend to get out as much as I can - and in the Dales it can turn quite quickly!
    Remember Rule #5
  • Pure merino baselayers are the best things evar, in my opinion.
    I've got a few short sleeved icebreaker ones, and long sleeve endura ones, brilliant.
  • Merino base layers are great for warmth, even when wet, and should you get sweaty, they don't pong like nylon would
  • a good base layer is probably one of the most important things, and i use a nick-wax base layer wash every so often that freshens up. Check out places like go outdoors as they are often cheaper than a bike shop. showerproof may well be enough, a good one will take a lot, and a good layering system will often keep you dry underneath if any does get through.
    I've got a few short sleeved icebreaker ones, and long sleeve endura ones, brilliant.

This.

Also, the cheap ones from on-one are excellent too imho.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I put a poly bag over my socks and inside my trainers - works well - keeps feet dry and relatively warm.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Probably keeps them quite sweaty too...

This.

So I've heard, but I've not used them myself.

Incidentally, the cheap Aldi merino stuff is bloody useless. Steer clear.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Pure merino baselayers are the best things evar, in my opinion.

This.

I found the on-one baselayers really itchy, might just be me though.
  • Incidentally, the cheap Aldi merino stuff is bloody useless. Steer clear.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd actually heard it was ok for the money
    Greer_ wrote:
    I found the on-one baselayers really itchy, might just be me though.

Not tried the on-one baselayers, but I find the Merrell ones rather itchy. The Icebreaker stuff is great, but generally pricey
  • The aldi stuff is horrible, it leaves me covered in red welts all over, doesn't keep you warm, smells after a single use, has a wonky cut, and is just generally awful.

Have you a Cotswolds shop nearby? They often have awesome sales on icebreaker stuff. Managed to pick up short sleeve merino t-shirts there last year for £20.
  • It's not even Autumn yet, let alone winter.... What's all this talk about winter!?!?!?!? Even on the news lately they're talking of winter!!!!!

Last night I slept on top of my duvet it was so hot, winters miles off yet!
  • winters miles off yet!

Friday, I hear ;)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Winter's a way away in time not distance surely?

I agree though we still have 3 weeks of summer to get through first and then Autumn, plenty sweaty yesterday in just a thin tech top as it was mid 30's were I am!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Croptonboy wrote:
    winters miles off yet!

Friday, I hear ;)

I stand corrected ;)

My mistake; I totally forgot that a wet 15-20 degrees constitutes *winter* conditions :roll:
  • The Rookie wrote:
    as it was mid 30's were I am!

But surely that's nearly winter temps!?

....In the desert!
  • It's not even Autumn yet, let alone winter.... What's all this talk about winter!?!?!?!? Even on the news lately they're talking of winter!!!!!

best time to buy winter gear, is when it's not winter. Mucho bargaineousness.

True, but usually at the end of winter when they're clearing space for new stock

It's still worth looking around for winter bargains though
  • Ok, but the point still stands that now, is a better time to buy winter stuff, than in mid winter.
  • Ok, but the point still stands that now, is a better time to buy winter stuff, than in mid winter.
    ...economically thinking :D

Exactly my thinking. Just picked up this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-long-sleeve ... ix-jersey/ in the sales. Twinned with either a short or long sleeve base layer (or both) depending on the weather and one of these for the rain http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-pocket-r ... ng-jacket/ should see me right...

...and I would rather have the right kit for when the weather turns bad...because it will!
    Remember Rule #5

Don't know if I whole heartedly agree; the best time to buy winter gear is right at the end of winter when stores need to flog any old winter stock to make space for spring/summer gear and ensure they don't end up with old stock hanging about loosing them money.
    Right now, shops are beginning to stock up with winter gear and starting to flog off summer kit in preparation for the Autumn / winter months.

Of course, there will always be the odd bargain here and there but mostly they're gone by now.... I managed to snap up a bargain last month (got a Gabba long sleeve for £120, cheapest I've seen previously was £160) but that was after I started looking out specifically for one since the start of May!
  • Exactly my thinking. Just picked up this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-long-sleeve ... ix-jersey/ in the sales. Twinned with either a short or long sleeve base layer (or both) depending on the weather and one of these for the rain http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-pocket-r ... ng-jacket/ should see me right...

Sorry, but I think that's very overpriced at £63, I wouldn't even consider it at that price. DhB is a brilliant budget brand, but that's not a budget price for a thermal top, £45 is about the right price, and Wiggle know it, hence they tempt buyers by saying it's in the sale (same tactic as Halfords with their own branded Carerra bikes).
    ...and I would rather have the right kit for when the weather turns bad...because it will!

Of course, that's the sensible thing to do; most of us already have a wardrobe of winter kit and are able to pick and choose the bargains..... I would never pay full price for any cycling clothing as it's all a total rip off, but in the end of winter sales you can always pick up absolute bargains and easily find up to 50% off top end kit.
  • Also, I have a thin, sleeveless merino baselayer which I wear all year long. I find it helps to keep me cooler than not wearing one. There was an entire article dedicated to this in Cyclist the other month too (roadie mag) which debated the pros and cons to baselayers in hot weather.

Result seemed to be pretty inconclusive. Works for some, but not others. Works for me though so I'll keep on at it.
  • I agree regarding the DhB/DFS perpetual sale, but the review look good so picked it up. Like you say, I am just building a box of various clothes that I can pick depending on the weather...so far I have the basics! Over the years I guess you just pick up these things as you go along.

I have riden in my long sleeve base layer all summer, even in the high 20's and found it brilliant, neither hot nor cold and if the weather did turn as the evening drew in I was left smiling where some of the others on the rides got cold!
    Remember Rule #5