Knee Pain - Advice

StorckSpeed
StorckSpeed Posts: 291
edited September 2013 in Training, fitness and health
I've had pain in my left knee on and off for years.
I saw a doctor about it but never followed up with an appointment to a Physio cause it just sort of faded away.
The pain is generally around the outside of my knee and it's never that sore really. I've found a series of exercises that sometimes help and I've just lived with it.
Yesterday I was out with the club and we did around 60 miles. I did my fair share and arrived home feeling really good and relatively fresh. Last night my knee became sore and when I went to bed it was even worse.
I got up and started massaging my knee to see if this would help. Started massaging up my legs and about half way up my thigh found a fairly tender spot at the back of leg. Started massaging this as it felt good and after about 30 seconds the pain in my knee went away completely.
This morning the back of my leg is stiff and tender but in a good way, and still no pain in my knee.

My question goes to any physio's out there. What is likely to be causing my knee pain. Is this my IT band or something else?
There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    My money is on your IT band. Do you have a foam roller?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I get pain in the first 5 miles on my left knee, but on the inside (or so it feels). It seems to fade away after 5 miles or so of riding.

I just ordered a foam roller in the hope that will help
  • bike fit?
    I do science, sometimes.
  • Grill
    bushpixy wrote:
    I get pain in the first 5 miles on my left knee, but on the inside (or so it feels). It seems to fade away after 5 miles or so of riding.

I just ordered a foam roller in the hope that will help

Unlikely as there isn't much to release on the inside. If it goes away then it could simply be an overuse/fatigue injury and may even be unrelated, but more likely it's to do with too much toe in or lack of float on your cleats.
  • That's a big no to the foam roller, but experimented using a rolling pin last night. :-)
    And this morning, I no longer have any tenderness at the back of my leg. So will have to get a foam roller, cause the rolling pins a bit brutal...
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • Grill
    You can also use a tennis ball... although if you thought the rolling pin was brutal... :P
  • I took a closer look at my cleats and the left shoe was slightly out of alignment. Straightened that up and did 45 mins on the trainer and barely any problems at all. Early days yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on it!
  • I was having very similar issues earlier this year, saw the physio who thought the pain was coming from my ITB but the best thing I did was just sit on a table and see how my feet hanged, adjusted my cleats by a few degrees and have have had no issues since. I think the issue was that I was making my feet go straight when clipped in the pedals but really my left leg wanted to pull out a little.