Euskaltel license bought by Fernando Alonso

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    excellent news, brilliant Alonso .....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,166
    If they go for Ferrari red kit it will have the added benefit of hiding blood stains!
  • Such great news for the team. Read he's seeing the current riders through their current contracts.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Great news. Always been an Alonso fan (am a Raikkonen fan too, but this might tip the balance) and great to see him putting money in a sport he likes.

Would be great if they could keep the orange and as I've got three Orbeas amongst my fleet, I'll admit to being slightly biased in my preference for what bike they might ride...
  • Surely the team car will be a bit more subtle, but retaining the Euskaltel-Euskadi team colour and designed in Spain?

Volar-e-Spanish-Electric-Supercar-1.jpg
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    What good news!

Random Alonso related fact: his ex-wife represented Spain in this year's Eurovision. Don't judge me. :oops:

I won't, my wedding suit is based on the one the Italian entry was wearing.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Evs78 wrote:
    The tour wouldn't be the same without the basques and their orange spray paint either, especially in the Pyrenees.

They'll still be there, they've been at it for years and years :lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • oooh, nice gossipy speculation in Gazzetta that Bert might move to buddy Fernando's new team next year, citing Riis having problems finding the funds for Bert's salary, claiming that Riis and Bert might have fallen out, and that the former might be trying to do a deal with arch-Bert critic mad Tinkov to keep on sponsoring the team. Gazzetta's clearly enjoying itself with this one

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report- ... am-in-2014
  • Pross
    Is Bertie's contract up for renewal? He doesn't seem to have been his old self this season and the criticism he got from Tinkov after the Tour might mean he fancies a new start (I know Tinkov is no longer involved at Saxo). Maybe a change will do him some good but it depends how much the new sponsors are prepared to invest in the team I guess.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Well done Alonso! I hope he has a business plan and its not just done on a whim!
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Bo Duke wrote:
    Well done Alonso! I hope he has a business plan and its not just done on a whim!

Originally the Euskaltel team was for Basque riders only, they would have the odd non Basque in latter years.

Hope Alonso keeps it predominantly Basque.
  • Bo Duke wrote:

Originally the Euskaltel team was for Basque riders only, although they would have the odd non Basque in latter years.

From his quotes so far, dont think that's going to happen. The team will be based in his home region of the Asturias, and on his website announcement he says '“The wish is to provide continuity and grow the team little by little, incorporating top names from the cycling pack with the intent of a moderate transition towards an international project whilst medium to long term, there is the firm intention of becoming a global model.”

That doesnt read predominantly Basque to me.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    This is great news, I used to think of him as a whinging tw@t but he has gone up in my estimations. A few of the F1 boys are in to their cycling, Webber, Button etc
  • Bo Duke wrote:

Originally the Euskaltel team was for Basque riders only, although they would have the odd non Basque in latter years.

From his quotes so far, dont think that's going to happen. The team will be based in his home region of the Asturias, and on his website announcement he says '“The wish is to provide continuity and grow the team little by little, incorporating top names from the cycling pack with the intent of a moderate transition towards an international project whilst medium to long term, there is the firm intention of becoming a global model.”

That doesnt read predominantly Basque to me.

I have some Basque relations so hope Fernando keeps a strong element of Basque riders. Never had a problem with him. Cycling needs new blood owning and running teams so I take this as good news.
  • Kiko Garcia (former ONCE rider, currently works for Oakley) is lined up to manage the squad next year. Anton also confirmed as staying with the team for 2014.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kiko-ga ... 0&ns_fee=0
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Sounds like this is on the verge of falling apart.

They're not happy about the team moving from region, not taking the staff, not using same bikes....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwhat ??!! Talk about don't bite the hand that feeds!
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Not sure Euskatel have any cards to play here...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • and 8 days left for the 1 Oct deadline for paperwork to be lodged with the UCI...

tick tock
  • Pross
    So the choice is a team which moves out of the Basque area or no team? If I were a rider I know which one I would prefer!
  • Pross
    Can a new team owner just apply for the spare licence if Euskatel disappear? If so they really don't have any bargaining power do they?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I think sp pross, the problem then is that anyone could try and get it...Comrade Tinkoff for example...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • All applications for PT licences have to be in to the UCI by next Tue, which includes all the paperwork including rider contracts with the name of the new company etc. No one can just pop up in the next couple of days and try to buy the licence as a 'shell'

Alonso appears to be in the *ahem* driving seat
  • All applications for PT licences have to be in to the UCI by next Tue, which includes all the paperwork including rider contracts with the name of the new company etc. No one can just pop up in the next couple of days and try to buy the licence as a 'shell'

Alonso appears to be in the *ahem* driving seat

Oh no Richmond Racer, that was bad... :D and don't tell us too much, we don't want any *ahem* spoilers..
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The deal is officially off. The team will now end.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Confirmed : Team is dead, negotations ceased
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • The last of orange.
    I am sad.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Really? why? did they say?