Euskaltel license bought by Fernando Alonso

r0bh
r0bh Posts: 2,382
edited October 2013 in Pro race
The carrots live on! Although whether they will remain carrot coloured is unknown at this point.

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/noticias/ ... el-2619778

Comments

• encouraging news. are they going ferrari red?
  • Holy moly! Good on Alonso :)

According to cycling journo Peter Cossins, Alonso almost set up a team with Sastre 2-3 years ago. Massive cycling fan.

We need an Alonso-on-bike pic
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Santander as sponsor perhaps?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    AxhpgASCAAAC1t3-340x230.jpg

s1_1.jpg

Has has actually competed in amateur cycling events
  • The riders will have more access to wind tunnels than they'll know what to do with
  • His name cropped up in this respect a couple of years ago.
    A little orange light at the end of the tunnel, maybe.
    The riders will have more access to wind tunnels than they'll know what to do with

There's another bit of interesting Sky stuff that came out of the Abergavenny "leak", related to F1, but, as you know, my lips are sealed. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • His name cropped up in this respect a couple of years ago.
    A little orange light at the end of the tunnel, maybe.
    The riders will have more access to wind tunnels than they'll know what to do with

There's another bit of interesting Sky stuff that came out of the Abergavenny "leak", related to F1, but, as you know, my lips are sealed. :wink:

You're a tormenting bar steward, you are :(:)
  • Good news. The guy will never have to spend any money in that part of the world ever again...!

If it is a team still in a few years time then I wouldnt be surprised to see Contador riding for them in a no pressure role - more to get the odd win here and there and increase exposure. Alonso and Contador are good friends.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    01w8.jpg
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Presumably tomorrow we'll be reading that Jos Verstappen has rescued Vacansoleil!
  • Brilliant news!

Wonder how much involvement he'll have. I can already hear the F1 journos typing - 'Alonso leaving 4 wheels for 2!'
  • Pleased to hear this. Never really liked Alonso but kudos to him for this.
  • rickyrider wrote:
    Pleased to hear this. Never really liked Alonso but kudos to him for this.

I've always thought of him as a right whinger and never liked him since the whole McLaren episode. However he's gone up in my estimations!

I'm only surprised Red Bull don't have a cycling team as they seem to be involved in every other sport!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,166
    rickyrider wrote:
    Pleased to hear this. Never really liked Alonso but kudos to him for this.

I've always thought of him as a right whinger and never liked him since the whole McLaren episode. However he's gone up in my estimations!

I'm only surprised Red Bull don't have a cycling team as they seem to be involved in every other sport!

Road cycling isn't exciting / extreme / different enough for them. They sponsor some bike racing though.

Great news and another Alonso convert here - nice to see super rich sportsmen putting money back into sport.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661

Good God we could actually see a good Carrot TTT Team!!!

Red Bull do a lot of stuff for MTB riding (like televising it and stuff), they also sponsor several individual riders (you can tell from their helmets). They sponsor the Athertons and Danny Mac etc
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661

Good God we could actually see a good Carrot TTT Team!!!

Red Bull do a lot of stuff for MTB riding (like televising it and stuff), they also sponsor several individual riders (you can tell from their helmets). They sponsor the Athertons and Danny Mac etc
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    What good news!

But does this mean he has bought the actual team or is it that he has got the licence and he could start his own uncarroty team?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you dont do the muddy cycling do you. the sponsor a whole pile of dirt,street, DH riders. and then there are the Events.

they have a massive presence in Cycling. Just not road.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'm not sure the new team cars are that practical

orange-ferrari-430-scuderia-01.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Dr Hutch mentioned that the cash will be supplied via his personal sponsorship deals so it's a loose extension of F1 cash and probably some very nifty tax deal - not that I'm complaining, good on the guy !

what betting they are riding colnago next season thanks to the 'nago/ferrari association ?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • MrTapir wrote:
    What good news!

But does this mean he has bought the actual team or is it that he has got the licence and he could start his own uncarroty team?

He's buying the licence, not the team. Sounds like it will be part carrot - Samu as leader, Alonso and his sponsors will respect the riders who have contracts through 2014-15 etc. Team to be based in the Asturias, rather than the Basque Country.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    MrTapir wrote:
    What good news!

He's buying the licence, not the team. Sounds like it will be part carrot - Samu as leader, Alonso and his sponsors will respect the riders who have contracts through 2014-15 etc. Team to be based in the Asturias, rather than the Basque Country.

i suppose he will take on the team infrastructure though, eg soigneurs mechanics etc?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    edhornby wrote:
    what betting they are riding colnago next season thanks to the 'nago/ferrari association ?
    Pro tour team on Ferrari red Colnago's? Yes, yes, yes!
  • Remember of course that Alonso is just a Ferrari employee ;)
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I'm not sure the new team cars are that practical

orange-ferrari-430-scuderia-01.jpg

Oh, I dunno... could make for some exciting sticky bottle rides.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Presumably tomorrow we'll be reading that Jos Verstappen has rescued Vacansoleil!

You wont, believe me. Verstappen has enough problems at the moment without taking on any cycling team. :)
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • evs78
    evs78 Posts: 133
    I hope the Euskatel team sticks to its roots with Alonso's backing. I have a lot of respect for the Basque approach to sport, reflected in the approach of Euskatel and the likes of Athletic Bilbao, who prioritise sport and pride over commercial results.

The tour wouldn't be the same without the basques and their orange spray paint either, especially in the Pyrenees.
    All the gear and no idea...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

shame the Ferrari one is a bit pants though :lol: thats why Vettel is odds on favourite to take the title this year.

I know he hasnt always had the best press in the UK from his McLaren days, but he does genuinely seem to have the right intentions with his money, recently moved back to Spain this year from Monaco as he felt it was his part to pay more tax to help the Spanish government out, and encourages other Spanish sports superearners (like that there Real Madrid team) to contribute too.
  • What good news!

Random Alonso related fact: his ex-wife represented Spain in this year's Eurovision. Don't judge me. :oops:
    Correlation is not causation.