Casstelli Gabba jersey

13»

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    How does the Gabba compare with the Sky rain cape (Rapha) which is on sale at the moment?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    letap73 wrote:
    How does the Gabba compare with the Sky rain cape (Rapha) which is on sale at the moment?

Well it doesnt say SKY in big letters all over it - thats gotta be worth something!
  • I am 5' 11", 32 inch waist, 37 inch chest and just bought a Large, fits perfect, nice and snug, enough room to wear a base layer.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    letap73 wrote:

The Gabba is a jersey - you'd wear it out if it looks showery.
    The rain cape is something you'd have in the pocket in case it rains or to go out in.

You'd not be taking the gabba off - and for me - its not a bit of winter kit - unless you're racing.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    letap73 wrote:

Would that be the rain cape that most of Sky didn't wear in MSR and wore something else instead (like a lot of the peleton that day) :wink:
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • I wore my Gabba short sleeve with nano flex armwarmers & base layer on sunday, temp was +4C and it was perfect for me, whilst everyone else in the club had their shell jackets on. BTW if it helps, I weigh 65kg for sizing.
  • Steve236
    Steve236 Posts: 212
    cougie wrote:
    letap73 wrote:

The Gabba is a jersey - you'd wear it out if it looks showery.
    The rain cape is something you'd have in the pocket in case it rains or to go out in.

You'd not be taking the gabba off - and for me - its not a bit of winter kit - unless you're racing.
    As for me, who gets warm quite quickly cycling even at a moderate pace, the long sleeve version with a warm base layer underneath is a perfect bit of winter kit for most types of riding.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Steve236 wrote:
    As for me, who gets warm quite quickly cycling even at a moderate pace, the long sleeve version with a warm base layer underneath is a perfect bit of winter kit for most types of riding.
    I agree with this.

Long term test results:-
    I got mine last January and was very impressed by it. The wind blocker really works which means you are kept warm while it is also very breathable so no over-heating. Plus, it was fairly water proof so damn near perfect.
    However, the key word there is "was". After much use and washing it was put to a serious test last night.
    2 degrees, 20 mph winds + gusts even higher, heavy torrential rain turning to snow and that wind meant the wind chill temperature was -4. After a 30 minutes commute home I arrived home warm and mainly dry. The arms were soaked through, as were the arms on my L/S baselayer. However, I was warm.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    Steve236 wrote:
    I agree with this.

Long term test results:-
    I got mine last January and was very impressed by it. The wind blocker really works which means you are kept warm while it is also very breathable so no over-heating. Plus, it was fairly water proof so damn near perfect.
    However, the key word there is "was". After much use and washing it was put to a serious test last night.
    2 degrees, 20 mph winds + gusts even higher, heavy torrential rain turning to snow and that wind meant the wind chill temperature was -4. After a 30 minutes commute home I arrived home warm and mainly dry. The arms were soaked through, as were the arms on my L/S baselayer. However, I was warm.

So are you saying that the Gabba has lost some of it's water resistance after several washes? Do you still think it's up to the task?

The reason I ask is that I had the same issue withthe Santini Jacket the Gabba will be replacing. It was great at first but first wet spin in a while on Sunday and I was soaked through after not so long and cold. Don't mind forking out the high price for the Gabba if it continues to perform but it's a bit much for something that's only going to perform as advertised until you give it a few washes.
  • brettjmcc
    Skerryman wrote:
    Steve236 wrote:
    So are you saying that the Gabba has lost some of it's water resistance after several washes? Do you still think it's up to the task?

The reason I ask is that I had the same issue withthe Santini Jacket the Gabba will be replacing. It was great at first but first wet spin in a while on Sunday and I was soaked through after not so long and cold. Don't mind forking out the high price for the Gabba if it continues to perform but it's a bit much for something that's only going to perform as advertised until you give it a few washes.

I agree on the top. Teh only time I have felt really cold was on my chest, but it was so cold that day my teeth were hurting. If I did that again I'd just put a Gilet on as well. I just wear a Helly Hansen Merino base under mine.

On the other. How do you wash your jackets? For me, and other may disagree, I use a dedicated sports wash that I found in Sainsburys and then every now and again, I use Grangers 2 in 1 on it to ensure there is some DWR put back in, much like most of my other Gore-Tex stuff. You have to remember though that the Gabba is not advertised as fully Waterproof, but Water repellent.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • daviesee
    Skerryman wrote:
    1. Unfortunately, yes. 2. But fortunately, yes.
    I have had quite a few jackets from various manufacturers for various purposes and if they are breathable at all then they have all lost the water repellence after time. The Gabba is still my favourite cycling jacket that I have tried so far.
    I will be contacting Castelli to find out if Nikwax is an applicable treatment.
  • brettjmcc
    8651004639_efdeb1c087.jpg
    Untitled by Brett-GT40, on Flickr
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • daviesee
    ^^^^ CHEERS! ^^^^

I could not contact Castelli direct and their distributer has not replied.
    I do not use Twitter.
  • brettjmcc
    The techwash is only for general washing to be gentle on any DWR finish etc

I've found Halo sports wash to be just as good and then every now and again use this: http://www.grangers.co.uk/product.cfm?c ... roductid=4

The Grangers works well on my walking Pro Shell, cycling Paclite, Rab Powershell a nd also the Gabba so far
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • daviesee
    I have been using this on my other jackets. Time for the Gabba to get some. :P

http://www.blacks.co.uk/mens/115068-nik ... wwodHmYAcg
  • Yep. ReProofed my Long Sleeve with Nixwax the other day.

Did 2 hours in persistent rain on Monday, dry as a bone underneath.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • daviesee wrote:
    I have been using this on my other jackets. Time for the Gabba to get some. :P

http://www.blacks.co.uk/mens/115068-nik ... wwodHmYAcg

Hmm, I'm wondering if something like this or the Grangers stuff might revive the water resistance in my Santini Jacket.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Will that stuff not mess up the wicking properties of them, as well as refroofing the DWR parts?
  • brettjmcc
    Personally I have had conflicting advice

1/ You are OK to use wash-in
    2/ Wash and if required use a spray on

Gore's windstopper website says:
    WINDSTOPPER® outerwear:
    Just wash it, rinse it and put it in the dryer, being sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions. The washing removes contaminants, and the heat from the dryer helps redistribute the DWR treatment on the fabric surface.

If water fails to bead up on the surface of your cleaned and tumble-dried garment, its DWR treatment has reached the end of its useful life. But don't worry – you can restore the garment's water repellency by following the manufacturer's instructions.

and also

WATER REPELLENT TREATMENT
    Follow garment manufacturer's instructions. Gore recommends applying a topical water repellency restorative for outdoor fabrics, available at your local outdoor retailer. We do not recommend wash-in treatments.

So you would probably be better washing and then applying something like XT Proofer rather than wash-in; but when I trying to do the spray treatment it can be a PITA with cats and kids around you in the house
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Does anyone know how the Gabba compares to the Castelli Transparente Due?

I've been using the Transparente this Autumn and wondering if I'm missing out on something that the Gabba has to offer.

Also how does it compare to other windproof jerseys such as the Rapha Winter Jersey?
  • daviesee
    Also how does it compare to other windproof jerseys such as the Rapha Winter Jersey?
    From personal experience - Gabba v Rapha Winter Jersey:-
    The Gabba has wind blocker sleeves, Rapha does not.
    Gabba is more water resistant.
    Gabba is more visible, if in yellow.
    Rapha can be worn off the bike and look "normal".
    The Rapha is a more relaxed fit.

Unless being seen as a "normal" person walking the street is important, the Gabba is the better buy.
    My Rapha Winter Jersey hardly gets used now. :oops:
  • brettjmcc
    So, I have decided that I am going to re-try the sprayon way of DWRing the jacket and stop being lazy.

I notice Nikwax now do a softshell specific sprayon.

Added to that Go Outdoors have an offer with 50% off Nikwax at the moment if you order online (but it still applies to Collect in Store)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    Just picked up a long sleeved Gabba. In a below freezing short ride last night if proved very windproof, and it breathes extremely well. I only needed a thin base layer under it to keep warm.

I bought an XL - I am 5'11", 78kg and 40" chest (sorry for the mixed units !)

Pete
  • Thought I might add here as I've got a short sleeve gabba and had issues with conflicting advice.

Firstly, it's a awesome piece of kit. The short sleeve is perfect for me as most days it stops the cold very well with a jersey under it ( that's all I wear, I've yet to find reason for base layer as you just sweat too much with that many clothes)

If nasty add nano warmers=sorted;)
    Washing wise I'm going by their twitter and using some tech wash and washing it with that. Then if it gets really bad you can use nikwaxs waterproofing treatment product ( yet to need this though).

One thing though DON'T USE NIKWAX ON BIBS!! it ruins them....i accidently had bibs in same wash as gabba and it's ruined:(
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    BlaBla,

In what way are the bibs ruined (sorry to hear you have done so) as I thought the other day what would happen if yo tried to waterproof bib tights/short with nikwax (or similar).

SV
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Firstly, it's a awesome piece of kit. The short sleeve is perfect for me as most days it stops the cold very well with a jersey under it ( that's all I wear, I've yet to find reason for base layer as you just sweat too much with that many clothes)

Why not wear just a baselayer with it instead of wearing a jersey under a jersey?
    More problems but still living....
  • daviesee
    amaferanga wrote:

Why not wear just a baselayer with it instead of wearing a jersey under a jersey?
    ^^^ Wot I was thinking. ^^^
  • daviesee
    daviesee wrote:
    Skerryman wrote:
    1. Unfortunately, yes. 2. But fortunately, yes.
    I have had quite a few jackets from various manufacturers for various purposes and if they are breathable at all then they have all lost the water repellence after time. The Gabba is still my favourite cycling jacket that I have tried so far.
    I will be contacting Castelli to find out if Nikwax is an applicable treatment.
    I finally got an answer from Saddleback, The Castelli distributer.

"Machine wash your garment as described in the wash instructions. Line dry your garment, or tumble dry it on a warm, gentle cycle.
    Once it is dry, tumble dry your garment for 20 minutes to reactivate the durable water-repellent (DWR) treatment on the outer fabric.

If unable to tumble dry, iron the dry garment on gentle setting (warm, no steam) by placing a towel or cloth between the garment and the iron. This will help reactivate the DWR treatment on your garment's outer fabric.
    When the factory applied treatment can no longer be reactivated, apply a new water-repellent treatment available as a pump-spray or wash-in product to the garment's outer fabric.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gra ... l-ec011891

Or Nikwax is just as good."
  • Sir Velo wrote:
    BlaBla,

In what way are the bibs ruined (sorry to hear you have done so) as I thought the other day what would happen if yo tried to waterproof bib tights/short with nikwax (or similar).

SV

So basically i used Nikwax in the wash without relising my bibs were in it, and the "black part of the shorts has gone all, bubbly and feels " hard to the touch" not as soft as before i washed it.

in regards to baselayer i might give it a try, just thought id get very cold wearing only baselayer and gabba lol
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners