Casstelli Gabba jersey

Comments

• mentalalex wrote:
    found it for £138 but they either don't have small or are not in stock!

Sucks! as i can't find it else where for the price for the long sleeve version

Try All4cycling.com - http://www.all4cycling.com/shop/advance ... ba&x=0&y=0
  • Ordered one :) lets hope its good as people say it is! and that its small enough!
    I do science, sometimes.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,829
    How does the Gabba fit? I'm 73Kgs and 5ft 10 and I wear a size 3 in my bio racer club gear but not sure if I should go small or medium. My size 3 gear is a little big but not sure how bio racer compare to castelli.

Can anyone help?
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Large
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,829
    Large

Really? They come up that small? None of my cycling gear is a large :?
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I am 80Kg 5ft 10.5 I have XL Gabba Jersey, haven't tried on the Large, I have a large Espresso Due.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I am 5' 9" and 82kg and my XL is a little big but as it is designed as an outer layer I have no real trouble with that. Wore mine for my commute in today and it is just awesome! Waterproof, warm and more breathable than I expected. A touch warm whilst waiting at the lights but once in motion, that just disapppeared! Now, do I need the SS one too...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    rozzer32 wrote:
    How does the Gabba fit? I'm 73Kgs and 5ft 10 and I wear a size 3 in my bio racer club gear but not sure if I should go small or medium. My size 3 gear is a little big but not sure how bio racer compare to castelli.

Can anyone help?

Castelli stuff is definitely 'italian fit' - I'm normally small, but in castelli I'm medium.
    Insert bike here:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm 6 foot and 77 kilos and the large fits me well.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    mpatts wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Can anyone help?

Castelli stuff is definitely 'italian fit' - I'm normally small, but in castelli I'm medium.

The Gabba isn't. I'm 5'8" and 68kg with 37" chest and the small is just right. Nothing worse than a baggy jersey....
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga wrote:
    mpatts wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Can anyone help?

The Gabba isn't. I'm 5'8" and 68kg with 37" chest and the small is just right. Nothing worse than a baggy jersey....

Mmm, was about to pull the trigger on a medium in wiggle (£148 for the long sleeve using paypal20 code), but being a few Kg less than you then it sounds like that a med would be too big; and no small in stock.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    cougie wrote:
    I'm 6 foot and 77 kilos and the large fits me well.
    Same here.
    Large is a perfect fit.
  • Just wanted to get in on this and see how folks who got Gabba's on here are getting on with theirs. Seeing as Christmas is coming up I'm thinking of putting a word in with the missus.

I have a Santini Magic Jacket (think that's whats it's called) which was waterproof enough at the start but had it out for a wet spin Sunday and it didn't do much, seems a few washes haven't done it any favors.

Just wondering if ye think the Gabba is as good as it's supposed to be. I'd be aiming at using it as a winter jersey so I'm thinking either the long sleeve or convertible version. Any opinions on which might be a better option are appreciated.

Also I'm about 5'11" and 68kg (ish) so I'm thinking a Large would work, any opinions? I take a Large in Giordana jerseys not sure if Castelli is similar fit.
  • Out for 2 hours in mine today in the rain. Bone dry underneath
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    Wore mine yesterday during a 4 hour ride in drizzle. Dry underneath. It is quite thin so you need to layer underneath. I have worn with a gilet as well when proper cold.

It is good but I think the that light, waterproof and breathable can not all be done. Good enough for pros and plenty good enough for me!

May not be quite the miracle top you are expecting. See if you can try one on so you can see how thin ( but warm) it is!
  • Out for 2 hours in mine today in the rain. Bone dry underneath

did you go for the long sleeve option?
  • Yes, though I am selling the ss version in the classifieds
  • vespario wrote:
    Wore mine yesterday during a 4 hour ride in drizzle. Dry underneath. It is quite thin so you need to layer underneath. I have worn with a gilet as well when proper cold.

It is good but I think the that light, waterproof and breathable can not all be done. Good enough for pros and plenty good enough for me!

May not be quite the miracle top you are expecting. See if you can try one on so you can see how thin ( but warm) it is!

Sounds like similar conditions to what I was out in Sunday and I was soaked through after not too long. Not into big heavy or flappy jackets so I'm thinking the Gabba would hopefully suit my needs. I have a Craft Thermal baselayer that's light and plenty warm enough for under a jersey so I'm hoping that with the Gabba would keep me dry and warm enough.
  • Yes, though I am selling the ss version in the classifieds

Did you just not get use for the SS version? Thought had crossed my mind about the ss version and Nanoflex armwarmers but in reality that's probably good for pro's racing in crap conditions, I'm really just looking for something to keep rain out (to a point) and relatively warm with good baselayer underneath.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    edited November 2013
    Skerryman wrote:
    Did you just not get use for the SS version? Thought had crossed my mind about the ss version and Nanoflex armwarmers but in reality that's probably good for pro's racing in crap conditions, I'm really just looking for something to keep rain out (to a point) and relatively warm with good baselayer underneath.

I go the convertible version, so you have the best of both worlds (in my opinion anyway) it is a bit more money though

The red piece on the top of the arm is where the longer arm zips into, so you get a little bit more layering on the shoulder too

8572175269_afaa4d11b0.jpg
    Untitled by Brett-GT40, on Flickr
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Skerryman wrote:
    Yes, though I am selling the ss version in the classifieds

Yeah, but only coz I had both. The ss is very good
  • brettjmcc wrote:
    I go the convertible version, so you have the best of both worlds (in my opinion anyway) it is a bit more money though

The red piece on the top of the arm is where the longer arm zips into, so you get a little bit more layering on the shoulder too

I was looking at the convertible one too, is it practical, or do you find yourself using it long sleeved most of the time? I'm guessing it's the same weight material etc. than the long sleeve/ ss versions just that you can whip the sleeves off?
  • Watching this thread with interest as I'm about to buy one and am as yet undecided about the short sleeved/nano arm warmer combo, or a convertible. I have a Gore Phantom which I rate highly, although have only de-sleeved a couple of times, as generally only wear it when cold or it is already raining.

I'd also appreciate any comments on how a Gabba compares to the Gore Phantom.
    Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
    Commuting hack: Cube Nature
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Gabba far more breathable than a gore phantom. More waterproof and totally windproof. About the Same Insulation properties so will need a base layer underneath
  • Thanks Carrock. In all but the coldest I have found the Phantom with a single base layer to be adequate because of the windproofy-ness, so pleased to hear the Gabba is as good or better.

I'm convinced, so just to choose convertible or short sleeves and arm warmers....
    Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
    Commuting hack: Cube Nature
  • brettjmcc
    Skerryman wrote:
    I was looking at the convertible one too, is it practical, or do you find yourself using it long sleeved most of the time? I'm guessing it's the same weight material etc. than the long sleeve/ ss versions just that you can whip the sleeves off?
    I'd say it's about 70:30 in truth. Yes on the sleeves, except on the convertible it is a full sleeve so you get a double layer of protection on the shoulder upper arm. Not havingtried a regular long sleeve, I would hazard a guess that the removable sleeves may be a bit looser to allow for them coming on and off.

Before my wife went back to work and I was commuting, it was great to have it in the morning and then take the sleeves off on the way home when it was a bit warmer. Have regularly taken them on and off on rides too, just takes some practice... I can now pedal on the flat and take the sleeves off, but need to stop to put them back on.

If you click on the picture to my Flickr, there is another one there with the sleeves on somewhere
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • vanleapo
    vanleapo Posts: 150
    I've had mine for a couple of weeks and done several rides in the cold & wet and think it's the best bit of kit I have ever bought.

Did a ride last week in heavy rain and the temperature averaged 1C according to the Garmin. Other parts of my body were suffering from the cold & wet, but my torso and arms were dry and warm.

I wear it with a good quality long sleeve base layer and it has perfect cycling fit.
    I'm 5' 11" tall and weigh 71kg. I bought a medium. Though I would suggest if you are only a few kilos heavier then to go for a large.

Bought it from www.bikeinn.com it was the cheapest I could find.
    Tearfund Tour of Scotland 26th May to 1st June 2013
    http://www.justgiving.com/phil-godley
  • vanleapo wrote:
    I've had mine for a couple of weeks and done several rides in the cold & wet and think it's the best bit of kit I have ever bought.

Did a ride last week in heavy rain and the temperature averaged 1C according to the Garmin. Other parts of my body were suffering from the cold & wet, but my torso and arms were dry and warm.

I wear it with a good quality long sleeve base layer and it has perfect cycling fit.
    I'm 5' 11" tall and weigh 71kg. I bought a medium. Though I would suggest if you are only a few kilos heavier then to go for a large.

Bought it from http://www.bikeinn.com it was the cheapest I could find.

Thanks for that. I'm actually a few kg lighter than you. According to the size chart, for my chest size (95cm) I'd take a medium. Few folks have been suggesting a Large as Castelli come up small. Would you recommend going by the size chart in the Gabba's case? Would rather a closer fit than it being too flappy but want the option of wearing something under it for colder rides. Thanks
  • brettjmcc
    You'll be fine with a medium. I am a 40" chest and the large is ok on me, even loose in some areas
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/castelli- ... -1668.html

I followed the sizing guide on the above website and it appears to be accurate.
    More problems but still living....