Places to Tour Outside London

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited August 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi all... Looking for some advice. I've been out on a couple of rides in Kent with a friend of mine who doesn't do that much cycling but can manage a 30-40 mile ride at a relatively sedate pace. Anyway we have discussed doing something outside London and he's keen to catch a train out somewhere, do a day of riding somewhere "very scenic" and then either stay overnight somewhere or catch the train back the same day.

Has anyone done anything like this? I'm looking for scenic spots that are relatively easy to reach by train from London for a spot of touring. My friend has suggested heading down to Cornwall or Pembrokeshire but that's as far as we've got....
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    If you want a real adventure and some proper scenery, try the Caledonian sleeper to Fort William!!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Take a scenic route to Brighton, have a night out, and train back the next day?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    edited August 2013
    Surely you wouldn't want to catch a train down to Cornwall for a day's riding?
    If it was me I'd limit the train time to say a couple of hours, then draw a circle around London showing places in "range".

Edit: What the hell does "scenic" mean to you anyway? Quiet country backroads? village greens with pubs? dramatic coastlines? Rolling hills?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    Rent a van?

I met 2 guys at Afan last year who had come from London for the weekend on the train and it sounded like an expensive way of doing it.

If you're going by train then book tickets in advance to save money. Maybe just have a look at where you can get cheap tickets to and use that to decide where to go?
  • clarkey cat
    One option would be to take the train to Weymouth and then cycle along the Jurassic Coast, to the Purbecks, over the chain ferry at Studland, along Poole Bay past Bournemouth to Hengistbury Head and into the New Forest. Then take train back from Brockenhurst.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    There is some good cycling in The Chilterns and it's a lot nearer.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Headhuunter
    davis wrote:
    Surely you wouldn't want to catch a train down to Cornwall for a day's riding?
    If it was me I'd limit the train time to say a couple of hours, then draw a circle around London showing places in "range".

Edit: What the hell does "scenic" mean to you anyway? Quiet country backroads? village greens with pubs? dramatic coastlines? Rolling hills?
    Yeah I suppose Cornwall may be a bit far for a day... Scenic means Abby of the above!
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Train to Norwich and then out to the coast and back round to Ipswich for the train home (c.85 miles), or a bigger East Anglian tour that lostinthought* off of this forum did a couple of years back - train up to Kings Lynn, up round and over the coast following it round to Ipswich. Comes in at around 150 miles I think, could be a nice weekender with a stay.

I was in Clapham Junction for a while and still regret not getting on the train down to the south coast and hopping on the ferry to the Isle of Wight for a day's riding - never even bothered heading down to Brighton and then making the way back.

As mentioned above, the sleeper train is the way to do it properly I reckon. If you book early enough you can get them silly cheap, waking up in Penzance was surreal for me...I'd love to do the Caledonian Sleeper some day.

* think that was her name!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Train to Bristol (90mins from Paddington) over the bridge into Wales, up the Wye Valley to Monmouth (actually choose one of the ridges either side), come back via Usk. Lovely day out. :-)
  • Headhuunter
    Thanks for the suggestions all! Will have to look through them all and decide what we're doing....
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    edited August 2013
    Train to Derby, local hopper to Matlock / Buxton - cycle back to Derby via Ashbourne. Train home.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • davis
    Train to Derby, local hopper to Matlock - cycle back to Derby via Ashbourne. Train home.

But that requires travelling to the Grim North!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    davis wrote:
    Train to Derby, local hopper to Matlock - cycle back to Derby via Ashbourne. Train home.

Yeah - it's awful...

tissington-trail-500x333.jpg

tisstrail.jpg

garden_tissington_trail_and_hall_020.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • davis
    I assume those are false-colour paintings, right? I heard it was still black and white up there.
  • davis wrote:
    I assume those are false-colour paintings, right? I heard it was still black and white up there.
    And the whippets, clogs and flat caps have been airbrushed out.

I wouldn't bother with the Isle of Wight. The roads are narrow and twisty and the traffic can be awful.

South Downs? Easily reached from London and some beautiful riding.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It doesn't matter where you go - it will be infinitely better than riding in London!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    I wouldn't bother with the Isle of Wight. The roads are narrow and twisty and the traffic can be awful.
    Narrow (occasionally), twisty (sometimes) but I never had any issue with traffic when I was there at the tail end of June 2 years ago and there is some great riding out there to match anyones ability.

Mike
  • rhext
    davis wrote:

Yeah - it's awful...

tissington-trail-500x333.jpg

tisstrail.jpg

garden_tissington_trail_and_hall_020.jpg

I was thinking of suggesting something similar, but I figured that if he just wanted a standard commute he wouldn't have asked about touring.
  • Do what I did with some mates earlier this month - ride to Whitstable, have fish and chips and pints on the beach, get train back to Bromley South for price of 10p permit to travel. Boo ya (we did raise around £3k for charidee so I don't feel too guilty about the cheap train ride).

The route we did was lovely, down through Downe to Westerham Hill and then onto the Pilgrims way, following that where possible until the easiest hill I could find back over the North Downs (Hubbard's Hill near Lenham) and then up through Faversham and onto Whitstable. I strava'd the route and could probably create a gpx file of it if you wanted.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    davis wrote:

In fact, the grim Midlands...nowhere near the north.
  • YIMan wrote:
    davis wrote:

North = that place you get to if you manage not to fall down the Watford Gap.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    train fro euston to berkhamsted or tring and ride the chilterns would be my suggestion. You can make it as hilly or as flat as you wnat then to suit your mate. Going to cornwall to ride 40miles seems disproportionate train to bike time
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    YIMan wrote:
    davis wrote:

The Midlands - to the North what Canada is to North America :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rhext
    Rolf F wrote:
    YIMan wrote:
    davis wrote:

The Midlands - to the North what Canada is to North America :lol:

Not sure I understand that. Canada wasn't the birthplace of the industrial revolution and therefore the cradle of western civilisation like what Derbyshire was!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Remind me, isn't this forum Commuting Chat? What have places to tour outside London got to do with Commuting?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • clarkey cat
    BACK IN YOUR BOX EVERYONE
  • rhext
    BACK IN YOUR BOX EVERYONE

See, it's back to the london-centric view of the world again. You don't have to live in a box outside London.
  • clarkey cat
    I don't live in London. Can't stand the place.
    I live in North Surrey.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Surrey is so bad not even Surrey County Council is based there.
    I once drove a very long way up the M1, as I passed Leeds there was a sign directing me towards "The North". Leeds is really fookin norff. FFS Camden is norff to me.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Surrey is so bad not even Surrey County Council is based there.
    I once drove a very long way up the M1, as I passed Leeds there was a sign directing me towards "The North". Leeds is really fookin norff. FFS Camden is norff to me.

I'm from Northumberland originally. I regard the M62 as a motorway across the Midlands.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX