Lock's been removed

13»

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    spen666 wrote:
    some very inaccurate statements of the legal positions in this thread.

I'm just going on the advice given to the facilities teams in various companies I've worked. I know you are a legal professional, so care to add some clarification?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Bo!!ox to all this hypothetical discussion of the legals - has the OP been compensated for his wrecked lock by the company or the people who removed it?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo wrote:
    Bo!!ox to all this hypothetical discussion of the legals - has the OP been compensated for his wrecked lock by the company or the people who removed it?

I suspect he may have faced a choice between compensation for his lock and continued employment.
  • t4tomo wrote:

I suspect he may have faced a choice between compensation for his lock and continued employment.

In a small company... Maybe?

But in a company large enough to employ it's own people to look after the grounds? They'd be unlikely to side against him.....

I worked for one of the biggest electronics manufacturers in the world and even they didn't own the factory building they employed some 400 people to work in. All grounds maintenance was handled by the management of the indy estate.
  • If I'm just starting to work somewhere, doesn't matter about the size of the company, I wouldn't want to become known as the trouble making cyclist - not on my first week.

Remember of course that cycling to work (at least in this part of the country, London might be different) is seen as a bit strange and weird. We do have a few people who cycle to work here but there are zero bike stands the two cyclists we have put their bikes in the small storage cupboard alongside the mops, toilet rolls etc.
  • I carry a Kryptonite Fahgettaboutit mini lock tucked in my belt it doesn't inhibit my cycling or feel heavy except when walking. What's the need to leave them lying around to have dogs wee on and security guards to chop up?
  • Mr.Duck
    Mr.Duck Posts: 174
    Asprilla wrote:
    I don't think you can get a car removed from private property any more. I'll have to look into that when I've got more time. It is certainly illegal to clamp on private property, not sure about removal.
    Hmm, the law must have changed. That's good. Thanks for that info.
  • asprilla
    Mr.Duck wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    I don't think you can get a car removed from private property any more. I'll have to look into that when I've got more time. It is certainly illegal to clamp on private property, not sure about removal.
    Hmm, the law must have changed. That's good. Thanks for that info.

That depends. I live on a small private road close to the high street. It's private property, but unless we close the gate when coming in and out (which causes issues for visitors, emergency services and the like) it's difficult to stop knackers using it as a car park.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Mr.Duck
    Mr.Duck Posts: 174
    Putting up large signs saying this is a private road, cars will be clamped, etc, should stop the vast majority of people parking there even if there is no chance that the cars really will be clamped.
  • Mr.Duck wrote:
    Putting up large signs saying this is a private road, cars will be clamped, etc, should stop the vast majority of people parking there even if there is no chance that the cars really will be clamped.
    I would think that's unlikely. It was pretty big news that clamping was being made illegal so I'd expect most people to know about it.
  • asprilla
    We've still got the sign up from when it was legal and there are no plans to remove it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • You can put up "Beware of the Leopard" if you want, doesn't mean people will take any notice ;)
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    You can put up "Beware of the Leopard" if you want, doesn't mean people will take any notice ;)
    They might if they spot it. :wink:
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • JoeNobody wrote:
    Mr.Duck wrote:
    I would think that's unlikely. It was pretty big news that clamping was being made illegal so I'd expect most people to know about it.

I think you'd be surprised.......

It's like telling people that "road tax" doesn't exist and that VW Golf were only the most reliable car once upon a time some 30 years ago. You can educate all you like, but idle chitchat and gossip are the source of human stupidity. Short of mass genocide, most people will never learn.
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    If I'm just starting to work somewhere, doesn't matter about the size of the company, I wouldn't want to become known as the trouble making cyclist - not on my first week.

I guess all this could have been avoided had the OP asked if it was OK to leave a lock there, rather just assume it was.

I guess no one asks these days. They just do as they please and then moan on the internet when things go awry.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Zanelad wrote:
    If I'm just starting to work somewhere, doesn't matter about the size of the company, I wouldn't want to become known as the trouble making cyclist - not on my first week.

I guess all this could have been avoided had the OP asked if it was OK to leave a lock there, rather just assume it was.

I guess no one asks these days. They just do as they please and then moan on the internet when things go awry.
    Indeed!
  • Virgin Gym in Derby has a metal bar on the wall marked for people to leave their locks on. Never seen that before.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I didn't expect this thread to carry on for 4 pages....

Just to let everyone know that I wrote to the management company explaining what had happened, how expensive the lock is, how nobody tried to find out who the owner was, lack of notices, how the building manager changed his story when someone else asked him about it etc. and yesterday I had a cheque off the them for a replacement lock with a letter saying "please don't leave it there again" :mrgreen:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    And all achieved without the awesome combined wisdom of the bikeradar gang...
  • Aren't those New York locks meant to be impervious to anything apart from an ocetylene (sp?) torch?!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Clearly the management company know the legal position better than many on here......Asprilia being the noteable exception (amongst others)........well done.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The Rookie wrote:
    Clearly the management company know the legal position better than many on here......Asprilia being the noteable exception (amongst others)........well done.
    Er ... the management company may not be operating down to the letter of the law - they may have decided to offer some goodwill back to a member of staff - it's not unheard of you know.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fact is though hat Aspilla's assertions were right and those speculating that they thought they knew better were wrong.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I didn't expect this thread to carry on for 4 pages....

Just to let everyone know that I wrote to the management company explaining what had happened, how expensive the lock is, how nobody tried to find out who the owner was, lack of notices, how the building manager changed his story when someone else asked him about it etc. and yesterday I had a cheque off the them for a replacement lock with a letter saying "please don't leave it there again" :mrgreen:

Result.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Aren't those New York locks meant to be impervious to anything apart from an ocetylene (sp?) torch?!

Obviously not.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • MOARspeed wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    if it is your first day then maybe it is common knowledge in the office.

We had a similar notice at our office, its to stop people 'claiming' a space as their own when space is limited.

were there other locks? have these been taken as well?

Did nobody use a brain cell in making that decision?
    People don't leave locks to reserve spaces, they do it to avoid carrying 1.5kg of metal home and back.

Only a non-cyclist could dream that one up..... :roll: :lol:

In my old office's secure underground carpark, they provided hooks on the wall for that purpose. So you could leave your lock in the car park without having baggsied a space like a German leaving a towel on a sunbed.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    How about locking the lock to a lock? Would that solve the problem?

Or posting a guard on the lock?