What would you do?

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Right, I really don't know what to do..

I can get a 2014 Banshee rune or spitfire on an awesome pre order deal with RS pikes (My ideal fork) but I won't be able to demo before pre ordering....

I also really like the look of the 2014 cube fritzz which has the spec and price yet to be announced

Then there's the nukeproof mega AM or TR which is in stock with a demo ready to roll

Am I better of taking the plunge with the Banshee without a demo to get the deal or waiting for demos and 2014 announcements? I can then demo all 3 and decide in my own time which to get but there may be a long wait with the banshee..

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd keep down the number of threads ;-)

Try and keep the new bike discussion in one thread, as people lose track! You will get better answers for sure and people won't repeat themselves.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would buy a bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    POAH wrote:
    buy an orange 5

Don't be ridiculous, he needs an Alpine 160
  • ej2320
    I could also get an Orange, but I think you know why I won't
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    ej2320 wrote:
    You don't want to be overbiked, I get it.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 wrote:
    You don't want to be overbiked, I get it.

It's not that, I just want something is a bit less common

I'm really thinking the banshee is the one, and the 2014 one has interal dropper post cabling

Don't know between the rune or spitfire however
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    ej2320 wrote:

cause you prefer pussy to cock? :lol:
  • ej2320
    I've seen far to many idiots on Orange Fives, although have met a few who are awesome riders

Plus the neon green banshee looks awesome!
  • rockmonkeysc
    So what exactly makes you think the Banshee is the best bike for the money? I can't see anything about it that makes me think it's going to be a great ride.
  • ej2320
    Very positive reviews, Slack geometry, interchangeable dropouts, LBS support, good pedalling platform, stiff frame, uncommon (just something I like), V2 has good brushings, I don't know if there's any cases of a frame breaking, can run 12 x 150 at the rear

Versatile, slack and strong.. What's not to like?
  • poah
    ej2320 wrote:
    Very positive reviews, Slack geometry, interchangeable dropouts, LBS support, good pedalling platform, stiff frame, uncommon (just something I like), V2 has good brushings, I don't know if there's any cases of a frame breaking, can run 12 x 150 at the rear

pedalling platform is mainly down to the shock
  • ej2320
    POAH wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

pedalling platform is mainly down to the shock

True, and the shock is a Fox CTD Kash or for £80 more CCDBA

But the magazines say the KS linkage is a good pedalling platform with chain growth being the only downside
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Problem with wanting a less common bike is very few people will have ridden one, fewer still own one, so you're unlikely to get much useful advice.
    If you want one buy one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ej2320
    cooldad wrote:
    Problem with wanting a less common bike is very few people will have ridden one, fewer still own one, so you're unlikely to get much useful advice.
    If you want one buy one.

Agree with that, with a common bike I could probably find a friends to try out or something

I think I'll just buy it, I dream about a SC Bronson but can't justify the extra £300 odd unless it's outstanding and I'm living under a rock..
  • poah
    ej2320 wrote:

True, and the shock is a Fox CTD Kash or for £80 more CCDBA

But the magazines say the KS linkage is a good pedalling platform with chain growth being the only downside

CCDBA don't have a platform like the CTD does though - only low speed compression dampning which doesn't do the same thing
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I tried a Rune and it felt like far too much bike in all honesty. Heavy, short top tubed and just felt pretty average really, even with the DB air. Not massively impressed. A friend rode the spitfire and was similarly negative. On paper they look decent, but it doesn't really do as well on the trail. We both agreed they were the worst bikes we tried that day.
  • ej2320
    lawman wrote:
    I tried a Rune and it felt like far too much bike in all honesty. Heavy, short top tubed and just felt pretty average really, even with the DB air. Not massively impressed. A friend rode the spitfire and was similarly negative. On paper they look decent, but it doesn't really do as well on the trail. We both agreed they were the worst bikes we tried that day.

What didn't you like about it? I appreciate your input as all the magazines rave about them
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    cooldad wrote:
    If you want one buy one.

This.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • lawman
    ej2320 wrote:
    lawman wrote:

What didn't you like about it? I appreciate your input as all the magazines rave about them

For starters it rode like a heavy bike, may have been down to tyre/wheel setup, but it felt more like a DH bike than trail bike. It also felt really short and was hard work on climbs, with a large amount of pedal bob, not at all what I was expecting. I usually get on well with dual link bikes, like the KS design Banshee use, but I really didn't get on well with it. What really struck me is that it didn't really make up for the sluggishness downhill either, granted Cannocks trails aren't super gnarly, but even so the rough sections where I expected it to shine didn't materialise and other bikes I tried, Yeti SB66 for example, felt better and as Strava proved was quicker.
  • ej2320
    lawman wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    lawman wrote:

For starters it rode like a heavy bike, may have been down to tyre/wheel setup, but it felt more like a DH bike than trail bike. It also felt really short and was hard work on climbs, with a large amount of pedal bob, not at all what I was expecting. I usually get on well with dual link bikes, like the KS design Banshee use, but I really didn't get on well with it. What really struck me is that it didn't really make up for the sluggishness downhill either, granted Cannocks trails aren't super gnarly, but even so the rough sections where I expected it to shine didn't materialise and other bikes I tried, Yeti SB66 for example, felt better and as Strava proved was quicker.

Thanks for that input, I'm now going to wait for demos as a result of that. I can't wait to try the 2014 Fritzz, looks set to be an Enduro monster
  • rockmonkeysc
    CCDB air is available now with the climb switch pedal platform.
  • poah
    £485 rrp though - its not a cheap shock. not sure it would offer anything over a rockshox monarch RC3 to most people
  • rockmonkeysc
    Main advantages are adjustability, cheap spares and the ability to change the length of it to fit different frames.
  • ej2320
    The nukeproof is offered with a CCDBA but it's £300 more than the monarch plus, that's enought for a good dropper post and bars! Or a wheelset
  • ej2320
    can anyone offer some advice on this geometry?

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-c ... robike.jpg

I understand HA, Seat tube angle and seat tube length but not really the others..
  • lawman
    Just try it and see if it feels comfortable and you got on with it! :lol:
  • ej2320
    its not out till november but the pre order offer will end before demos...

I was just wondering if anyone could explain some of the geo
  • lawman
    How long is a piece of string? :lol: You say you understand most of it, toptube length is either actual or virtual (effective). Unless you know what numbers you're looking for, there's not really a great deal you can read from the geometry, other than comparing it to other bikes you've ridden and like the feel/position of.

From that chart though, I'd say it looks decent on paper, but jesus they really have cocked the colours up this year haven't they! :shock:
  • ej2320
    That's literally all I needed to hear, thanks, if you know what your looking for you can tell if it has the right numbers

You think, I rather like the green..