Planet X CT45 Carbon Tubular Wheelset

13»

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I know this is for the tubular rather than the clincher which I have but in retrospect I should have bought something else. They are only OK after they did a full hand rebuild on them after they kept breaking spokes and the things fill up with water if it's wet as it's only a carbon fairing. They aren't very stiff and flex when you get out of the saddle (Or even seated on a climb giving it some and I'm not a porker at 70kg these days)

Next time I will have to bite the bullet and either get some hand made or buy a factory set. I will however preach the benefits of an aluminium brake track in the wet. Very welcome
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    I know this is for the tubular rather than the clincher which I have but in retrospect I should have bought something else. They are only OK after they did a full hand rebuild on them after they kept breaking spokes and the things fill up with water if it's wet as it's only a carbon fairing. They aren't very stiff and flex when you get out of the saddle (Or even seated on a climb giving it some and I'm not a porker at 70kg these days)

Next time I will have to bite the bullet and either get some hand made or buy a factory set. I will however preach the benefits of an aluminium brake track in the wet. Very welcome

If I understand correctly, PX outsource the builds around the UK, so there isn't much consistency across the range. You most likely have a set that was built with low spoke tension, as your problems clearly indicate.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Paul 8v
    I need to give them a proper ride as I've not been out in the wet with them since the re-build (As they fill up with water!) That was when you could hear the brake rubbing on the rim, you couldn't hear it in the dry. The low spoke tension theory would make sense though.

Do you know of a decent carbon rim with Alu brake track that has a structural deep section rather than a fairing? I'm thinking of ditching the planet X ones to be honest, I just don't feel comfortable with them after two nipples went on them.
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    I need to give them a proper ride as I've not been out in the wet with them since the re-build (As they fill up with water!) That was when you could hear the brake rubbing on the rim, you couldn't hear it in the dry. The low spoke tension theory would make sense though.

Do you know of a decent carbon rim with Alu brake track that has a structural deep section rather than a fairing? I'm thinking of ditching the planet X ones to be honest, I just don't feel comfortable with them after two nipples went on them.

Very low tension can affect the lateral stiffness, but it needs to be very low, which is not unheard of.
    I think the far eastern retailers offer the rims you look for... have a browse on their sites. You can buy the rims and have them built here, or you can buy the wheels directly.

http://www.farsports.com/product/detail.php/id-132.html
  • Paul 8v wrote:

I can say that the FFWD F4R are very nice. Not cheap, of course, but very nice.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Paul 8v
    Thanks guys, I'll check them out. I take it I need the external spoke hole option?
  • Can anyone who has these let me know if the decals are stickers and can be removed or not? Am tempted but I hate the decals.

cheers
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Thanks guys, I'll check them out. I take it I need the external spoke hole option?

That would make things easier
  • Paul 8v
    I wasn't sure what they meant by spoke hole internal or external?
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    I wasn't sure what they meant by spoke hole internal or external?

Internal means you need to use internal nipples, like Reynolds and Enve... a right PITA. External is like most other wheels, including Zipp
  • Paul 8v
    Ah thanks, that makes sense
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Can anyone who has these let me know if the decals are stickers and can be removed or not? Am tempted but I hate the decals.

cheers

Just checked mine and they're not stickers you can peel off.

Are you thinking of the right wheels, though? The logos on some Planet X wheels are huge but on the CT45 they're very subtle.

WPPXC45T_P9.jpg
  • vin31
    vin31 Posts: 23
    Imposter wrote:
    Calpol wrote:
    Currently these are £299. Seems a good deal. If I add a pair of cx pave tubular tyres they might be quite nice. any reason not to but these at that price?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIPECG/vittoria-pave-evo-cg-ii-tubular-tyre

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPXC45T/planet-x-ct45-carbon-wheelset

They are only £299 with the campag freehub.

just curious, is it not possible to change the campag freehub for a sram/shimano item ?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Certainly is on some hubs - don't know about these though...
  • onemoresolo
    onemoresolo Posts: 372
    Apologies for the bump, but does anyone know if PX use the aforementioned Gigantex rims for these? I'm trying to find out the ERD of the rim for a rebuild.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Apologies for the bump, but does anyone know if PX use the aforementioned Gigantex rims for these? I'm trying to find out the ERD of the rim for a rebuild.

yes
  • onemoresolo
    Thanks Ugo, will probably measure to double check once it's dismantled but good to know. :)

Hmm, plugging that ERD and the dimensions of the PX hub in to a spoke calculator gives spoke lengths that are about a centimeter shorter than the PX spare spokes they recommend... Seems a bit weird?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Thanks Ugo, will probably measure to double check once it's dismantled but good to know. :)

Hmm, plugging that ERD and the dimensions of the PX hub in to a spoke calculator gives spoke lengths that are about a centimeter shorter than the PX spare spokes they recommend... Seems a bit weird?

PX rims are internally drilled... are the ones you compared against for external nipples instead?
  • onemoresolo
    Ah good point, so the ERD assumes external nipples I'm guessing and will need to be adjusted.

Given I know the hub measurements and spoke length of the existing wheel, I guess I could just tweak the ERD in the calculator until it throws out the correct spoke lengths. I could then use the corrected ERD and new hub measurements to work out the new spoke lengths I need. Makes sense in my head but I'll be measuring to confirm the theory.

Edit: think that's it, adding 9mm to the calculated lengths to account for the internal nipples gets me within 1mm of PX's suggested lengths. Thanks Ugo.