Planet X CT45 Carbon Tubular Wheelset

Comments

• gotwood25 wrote:
    After reading this I decided to take the plunge and order me some, Planet X had them knocked down to £399 so took the bait and have my first foray into the world of tubs.

Must say compared to the stock Syncros wheels they are crazily light and seem to spin forever. Although the click-clacking noise may send me insane or will keep me continuously pedalling so good for training.

Anyway not many pics of them on bikes so included mine, yes they are my sons bibs being used as frame protectors.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=BBDD17AF8762D537%2114218

That's the valve... you can buy some pads which go around it and avoid the noise.... it will still make some noise though.
    It's amazing you can get something similar to a set of 303 Firecrest at 20% of the price. Braking won't be as good, but the hub won't shatter... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • That's the valve... you can buy some pads which go around it and avoid the noise.... it will still make some noise though.
    It's amazing you can get something similar to a set of 303 Firecrest at 20% of the price. Braking won't be as good, but the hub won't shatter... :wink:

I'm all for the hub not shattering, as for braking... well who needs that :D
  • It's possible to get a freehub body for these that would convert them to 11 speed (shimano/sram) isn't it as they only come in 10 speed from PX?
  • gotwood25 wrote:
    After reading this I decided to take the plunge and order me some, Planet X had them knocked down to £399 so took the bait and have my first foray into the world of tubs.

Must say compared to the stock Syncros wheels they are crazily light and seem to spin forever. Although the click-clacking noise may send me insane or will keep me continuously pedalling so good for training.

Anyway not many pics of them on bikes so included mine, yes they are my sons bibs being used as frame protectors.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=BBDD17AF8762D537%2114218

Love those, might have to invest, they will look superb on my Ribble 872 (never mind the performance benefit!)

Never used tubs either, ok as long as you don't puncture I guess?
  • Never used tubs either, ok as long as you don't puncture I guess?

Thats what the Mrs in the support car is for. I will carry sealant but won't be changing any tubs roadside until I have had some practice which will be the first time I get a puncture I guess.

Feel a failure for admitting this but I got my LBS to put them on, wanted to have some confidence in them the first time I went out on them. I am a fraud I know.
  • that is what the LBS is for.

once you get in the practice of fitting the tubs, you will never look back. i know i didn't ;-)
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Anymore feedback on the tubular CT45 from actual owners?
    What width is the actual rim?
    How is the braking performance with the supplied pads?
    Did you get skewers supplied?
    Cheers, Stu
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    duckson wrote:

Likely to be this?

http://www.gigantex.com.tw/product-view.php?id=53
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    duckson wrote:

I have the CT50 wheels from Planet X and am very happy. I run 23mm tubs on them but my riding buddy uses 25mm tubs and seems to get less rolling resistance. Could be his marginal increased weight, but could be the tyres which are both Veloflex. Braking performance is very good but the pads wear out pretty quickly and squeal a bit. Wheels come with skewers.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • duckson
    Cheers, is the width of the rim 25mm?
    Cheers, Stu
  • markynulty
    markynulty Posts: 409
    duckson wrote:

Likely to be this?

http://www.gigantex.com.tw/product-view.php?id=53

I got a set of the ct45 tubulars in December. Yes you get skewers. I ran them with Vittoria Corsas (glued on) and Swissstop Black Prince pads. Performance was very good. I smashed / split both rims on Saturday at a two day stage race, so they are in the bin now. They were good wheels though.

p.s. will measure rim tonight if the bin hasnt been emptied.
  • ugo.santalucia
    markynulty wrote:
    I smashed / split both rims on Saturday at a two day stage race, so they are in the bin now. They were good wheels though.

Tidy job... :wink:
  • markynulty
    markynulty wrote:
    I smashed / split both rims on Saturday at a two day stage race, so they are in the bin now. They were good wheels though.

Tidy job... :wink:

Yep. Expensive weekend hey.

The tubs didnt explode and the spokes are still true, the rims just compacted and split / delaminated after hitting a pothole (which wasnt shouted out) whilst in the middle of the bunch.

That's life though hey. Full of good days and bad days. Thank god for neutral service cars though lol.
  • duckson
    Christ, must of been a hefty pothole? :(
    23mm Corsa's?
    Cheers, Stu
  • markynulty
    Yeh we rode back later to check it out and was a good 2 foot long and 3-4 inches deep. Frustrating. Was doing around 30mph at the time and I weigh 86kg so a lot of force involved I guess.

Got pictures of the damaged rims but dont really want to post on here as probably not the wheels fault.

Yeh they were 23 corsas. They were flush with the rim, so wonder if 25 would have protected the rim anymore?
  • ugo.santalucia
    markynulty wrote:
    Yeh we rode back later to check it out and was a good 2 foot long and 3-4 inches deep. Frustrating. Was doing around 30mph at the time and I weigh 86kg so a lot of force involved I guess.

Got pictures of the damaged rims but dont really want to post on here as probably not the wheels fault.

Yeh they were 23 corsas. They were flush with the rim, so wonder if 25 would have protected the rim anymore?

You can check with the council if the pothole has been reported previously. If that's the case and they took no action, then it is negligence and you can claim the repair/replacement to the council. If not, you'll have to suck the bill up
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    My CT45 clinchers had a similar thing happen recently, thankfully it only slightly buckled the rim. Had snakebite in the inner tube and blew out the sidewall of my nice tyres though. Perhaps they were saved by the aluminium rim? I would recommend running this width rim with a 25, it rolls very nicely.

Just waiting to hear back from the council, in the daylight I could see purple spray round the pothole so it looks like they marked it up amd never fixed it as the paint was faded.

The wheels are good but they rub a bit on the pads when you really go for it out of the saddle. The worst part is having to deal with Planet X though. Their customer service is pretty pi$$ poor I'm afraid. Don't buy them if you need them quickly as it may take about a week for them to realise you have placed an order...
  • duckson
    Cheers I would need to buy the in stock 10th wheels and buy an 11sp Shimano hub.
    Cheers, Stu
  • markynulty
    markynulty wrote:

You can check with the council if the pothole has been reported previously. If that's the case and they took no action, then it is negligence and you can claim the repair/replacement to the council. If not, you'll have to suck the bill up

Checked, and the pothole has not been previously noted so guess I am out of luck.

To be fair to planet x, I visited them on Monday to see their views on the damage and what they could do with the wheels and although not covered under warranty as clear impact damage, they were very helpful and generous.
  • markynulty
    duckson wrote:
    Cheers, is the width of the rim 25mm?

Sorry for the late reply, but yes they are 25mm
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Currently these are £299. Seems a good deal. If I add a pair of cx pave tubular tyres they might be quite nice. any reason not to but these at that price?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIPECG/vittoria-pave-evo-cg-ii-tubular-tyre

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPXC45T/planet-x-ct45-carbon-wheelset
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Calpol wrote:
    Currently these are £299. Seems a good deal. If I add a pair of cx pave tubular tyres they might be quite nice. any reason not to but these at that price?

They are only £299 with the campag freehub.
  • Calpol
    Imposter wrote:
    Calpol wrote:

They are only £299 with the campag freehub.

But as I am a campag man then that would be FTW.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bargain!
  • Calpol
    If Ugo or thecycleclinic says these are decent enough then I reckon I'll get them. Nice to have opinion from people that know something about such things. I just know what looks good :(
  • Calpol wrote:
    If Ugo or thecycleclinic says these are decent enough then I reckon I'll get them. Nice to have opinion from people that know something about such things. I just know what looks good :(

I've never seen a pair of these.
    Planet X generally sell decent rims... used to be Gigantex, not sure if this is still the case... the hubs are rebadged Chosen, which are average... not sure who build them, but traditionally PX wheels are hand built by someone rather than assembled by a nasty robot, which is a good thing. The difference is generally in the tension.... badly set up robots build wheels at very low tension, which don't last... the lowest mileage I have heard of for a machine built wheel is 9 (miles). Properly set up robots can build some wheels very well: Mavic, Fulcrum etc are an example
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I took delivery of a pair of these on Wednesday and they have come with a sheet of individual spoke tensions. I'll scan it and post it here if I can because to be honest, it doesn't mean much to me. Might mean something to someone like Ugo, though.

As an aside, I must say initial impressions are good. I'm still waiting for tyres, though and, even once I've fitted them, probably won't use them for a good while yet.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Here we go

16152016896_479866f5cb_h.jpg
  • probably twice as high as you will find in SOME machine built wheels on the market
  • Some typos in that template aren't re-assuring ("None Drive side" and "measued") and the nonsensical sentence at the bottom of each table. I suspect Denis might not be the QA chap's real name.