The Good Luck Greg66 thread

msmancunia
msmancunia Posts: 1,415
edited August 2013 in Commuting chat
Even though he's breaking Rule #42, and even though we're only really interested in the bike leg, I do think it's important to support one of our own in his other "hobby". So I'll go first.

Good luck Greg!!!!! Hope you get through it ok, embrace your inner chimp, think of the tens of your anonymous Internet friends cheering you on and don't forget to post a picture of your inevitable physical breakdown at the finish.

MSMXXX
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Go in Greg! M-Dot tats all round on Monday.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Good luck Greg
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Good luck. Go fast and win it for us!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Good luck Greg. I'm not sure I'd ever sign up for a sport where weeing yourself is all part-and-parcel of it but it take all sorts. Most of all, have fun
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Good luck.

Sssshhhh but reading ur posts has gotten me signed up for a 70.3 in April 14, don't tell the rest here

EDIT: that was meant to sound sarcastic as to how they feel here about the rules but when I read it back it was like I was hitting on you
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    Good luck Mr 66, looking forward to reading all about it.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Good luck.

Hope the leg hold up for the run...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited August 2013
    Don't fancy hopping a marathon myself, so I'm glad there are people willing to do it for me.

Goo luck, G66.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I'm not sure I'd ever sign up for a sport where weeing yourself is all part-and-parcel
    At his age...

Good luck Greg.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Good luck. Utterly bonkers! :)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Desperate attempt to cling onto his youth if you ask me :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    Good Luck,
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    What's he doing? Sorry, no idea, but it sounds worthy of encouragement judging by the posts so far.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    dodgy wrote:
    What's he doing? Sorry, no idea, but it sounds worthy of encouragement judging by the posts so far.

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12885318
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Good luck G66. The old and slow salute you. If I should ever need a 'role model' I know where to look.

Hope all goes well.

Chris.
    'fool'
  • fill_uk
    fill_uk Posts: 52
    I'm more of a lurker than a poster on this forum but have followed your journey with interest. Good luck, look forward to hear how it goes.
  • Many thanks for all the well wishes. It's been quite a journey to get here - life changing, literally. But it is also an incredibly selfish journey, and one that may yet have a nasty twist at the end. Support and encouragement means a huge, huge amount to me, and I take great heart from all of your messages. Even yours, boffo. Mostly.

If anyone wants to ratchet up the excitement after the Belgium GP, the race starts at 3pm London time. There's a live athlete tracker on the ironman.ca website. I'm bib #1879, and my training buddy John is #2052. I can't promise edge of the seat stuff, but you might be able to work out whether I've been swimming in circles or stacked it on a descent. Or am in a medical tent.

Zero running since the end of July is probably not widely advised as ideal prep for this, but given the state of my left leg, I've decided to go "all in" on a single spin of the wheel. It's largely pain free now, and has been for the last week, but how much strength there is in the bone, and how much my lack of running form will stress it further remain to be seen.

I'm also running a fundraising page for a very worthwhile cause, here. Anything you can spare would be very gratefully received.

Just under 11 hours to go. I have to get to sleep now so I can wake up at 3.45 to get 1500 calories down me. Joy.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Barking! but best of luck and I hope you'll not need it!
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    Good luck. I couldn't even think about doing that in a week let alone one day!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I was going to wish him good luck, but either he didn't start is a very slow swimmer or has drowned as he hasn't posted a time after the swim yet (1:25 after the start). There again, I'm not seeing any times after 1:08.

What is the aquatic version of the broom wagon? I suggest the fishing net.

Edit:
    There must be a delay between setting the time and the time being uploaded as he has posted a time of 1:08:52

Good luck
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • stu-bim
    And just completed the first 21km on the bike in 38:27
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I was going to wish him good luck, but either he didn't start is a very slow swimmer or has drowned as he hasn't posted a time after the swim yet (1:25 after the start). There again, I'm not seeing any times after 1:08.

What is the aquatic version of the broom wagon? I suggest the fishing net.

Edit:
    There must be a delay between setting the time and the time being uploaded as he has posted a time of 1:08:52

Good luck
    7:14 transition. Do you think he left the bike in the car and had to go back to get it? :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I guess the second bike split section was uphill, and the 3rd downhill. Either that or he had a problem and has put the hammer down to recover it.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Agent57 wrote:
    I guess the second bike split section was uphill, and the 3rd downhill. Either that or he had a problem and has put the hammer down to recover it.

Bike profile.

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/132c3524 ... e1logo.pdf
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Cheers. Looks like my inferences were correct then. Good news, wouldn't want it to be down to a problem of course.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    Quite fun checking up. Slow transition, what was he doing?!
  • stu-bim
    Widgey wrote:

Who is not starving after a swim? Ham and cheese salad roll and a pint of milk.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • stu-bim
    Widgey wrote:

Who is not starving after a swim? Ham and cheese salad roll and a pint of milk.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    maybe there was a cheese shop on course, Greg has a cheese problem, we'll say no more :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.