Litter

2»

Comments

• vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    BigMat wrote:
    I left a snapped chain in the undergrowth at the roadside earlier this year. I know it was wrong, but I was kind of pi**ed off at the time and it would have been a really difficult thing to carry.

I threw an end-of-life chain down a railway embankment on my way home a few weeks ago. I was so wracked with guilt that night that I couldn't sleep, so I crept back out in the dead of night and clambered over a fence to retrieve it. It's a wonder I wasn't jumped on by the rozzers.

#disappointinglyfailingtoliveuptomyname
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    itboffin wrote:
    this is one of the few things that really annoys me to the point of action, i see people everyday getting off trains having left their rubbish on the table or stuffed it down the side of the seat, or in many cases just dropped on the floor.

I'd ask would these people do this at home but i suspect they do, so i usually tap them on the shoulder and loudly point out they seems to have dropped or left something behind.

Something that I often wonder about is leaving a newspaper on the train. Technically it is littering, but I know someone getting on will have a good use for it, so I'm not too sure.
  • you won't find too much conspicuous litter in the old town of Edinburgh, central Bath or Finchley either, will you?

Actually Bath is often a complete tip by the end of a day :( . However the council (knowing how much it matters to the tourist industry) have people out at 6am on a daily basis cleaning it all up. I suspect other heavily tourist areas are the same in that they get just a messy as everywhere else but are just better at getting it cleaned up before too many people see it.

Mike
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    mudcovered wrote:
    you won't find too much conspicuous litter in the old town of Edinburgh, central Bath or Finchley either, will you?

Actually Bath is often a complete tip by the end of a day :( . However the council (knowing how much it matters to the tourist industry) have people out at 6am on a daily basis cleaning it all up. I suspect other heavily tourist areas are the same in that they get just a messy as everywhere else but are just better at getting it cleaned up before too many people see it.

Mike

Its not just tourtist destinations either, its every highstreet in the land. I see 2 road sweepers out in Finchley every morning at 6 making tidy the streets. It reminds of Dan Snow's Filthy Cities, in that if it wasnt for general and local taxation we'd all be waist deep in shite.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • It was heartening to see some of the Pros on the ToB stuffing their used gel wrappers un the back of their jerseys (Bauer) rather than discard them. If the pros can do this, then idiot on Sportives can as well. No excuse.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I've tried the jolly "Excuse me, you appear to have dropped you MacDonalds wrapper" in St Martins Lane a while back only to get abuse and threats which rapidly escalated and I ended up rolling around on the floor with a lad half my age.
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • I trace it back to Mrs Thatcher and her "there is no such thing as society" attitude. Obviously, people dropped litter before 1979, but the increase in "no-one else matters" can be dated from then, IMHO. And I was there, so I know. Also, worse even than disregard for others, among some people it seems that any kind of considerate action, whether that be not dropping litter, or saying 'please', 'thank you' or 'excuse me', or picking up after their dog, keeping their feet off train seats, etc are seen as signs of weakness.

A woman sat in a car outside our house (she was waiting for her husband who had taken their dog for a sh1t [edit: this word seems to be automatically changed for "shoot"] on the common ...) dropped a cardboard coffee cup onto the pavement. Unfortunately for her I was in our drive and saw it, so I picked the cup up and threw it back through her window. I stayed there watching her until her husband came back and they drove off.

I also don't think it's the dog owners who throw the poo bags into the trees. It's the obsessed locals who bag it up and throw it in the trees to make a point. As a dog owner I abhor people who don't clean up after their dogs, and I know that dog poo is horrible stuff, but I think some people do get a bit obsessed with it.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Apparently, with the bags in the trees thing, people put them there because they don't want to carry it around with them, with the intention of picking it up on the way home.

There are so many of them near me that how anyone would be able to distinguish which is their bag is beyond me.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,799
    It was heartening to see some of the Pros on the ToB stuffing their used gel wrappers un the back of their jerseys (Bauer) rather than discard them. If the pros can do this, then idiot on Sportives can as well. No excuse.

Certain race organisers hand out fines for littering.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    msmancunia wrote:
    Apparently, with the bags in the trees thing, people put them there because they don't want to carry it around with them, with the intention of picking it up on the way home.

There are so many of them near me that how anyone would be able to distinguish which is their bag is beyond me.

That's what they say when they get caught walking off.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I was brought up knowing that throwing litter on the floor is not right and I bring my children up to think the same thing but unfortunately there are a lot of people who no longer think this :roll:

It's just a general lack of respect for anyone but yourself situation I'm afraid :|
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Out on a club run a couple of weeks ago, and stopped at a set of lights. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted something dropping to the ground, only to find that one of the guys had drunk a gel, and then threw the foil on the ground. We have a little 'history', so I pondered whether to confront him - for all of 1 second. I couldn't let it go, and told him what I thought. He casually said that the gel had dripped on the foil, and he was not putting it back in his pocket - I mean, does he not wash his jersy after a ride ?

He almost seemed affronted that I had mentioned it. And with a queue of cars behind us, and full club gear on, what a way to make an impression........
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Jeez you lot. I come back from NYC and am reminded how clean and litter free london is.

Where did you stay in NY, uptown by any chance :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    It was heartening to see some of the Pros on the ToB stuffing their used gel wrappers un the back of their jerseys (Bauer) rather than discard them. If the pros can do this, then idiot on Sportives can as well. No excuse.

at the Wiggle magnificat they offered a replacement free gel for every empty you brought back, great idea.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,356
    arran77 wrote:
    I was brought up knowing that throwing litter on the floor is not right and I bring my children up to think the same thing but unfortunately there are a lot of people who no longer think this :roll:

It's just a general lack of respect for anyone but yourself situation I'm afraid :|
    Completely agree with all of this.