My ring is too small......

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited August 2013 in Commuting chat
Men...lady folk, lend me your ears

recently i have discovered that i have basically become awesome. me legs are now filled with enough POWAA that im able to out power my 50 toothed chainset (yes its a triple an im pretty sure my cassette is a 12 - 25

Could i just whip off my outta ring, and get something that equals my awesomenous an prowess?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Yes. But.

You can probably get a 52 or a 53 but if your BCD is smaller than that of a standard double then you'll probably see some flex. Given you are doing this because you are the Bearer of the Power Awesome then it's noodle time.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    img1B.jpg
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm running a 52/39/30 triple with a 11-28 cassette on the Madone. I think the range is adequate.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    well to be fair, today i was drafting a truck got to around 42mph an couldnt pedal fast enough to engage drive..

I think i might just leave it, as im still contemplating something new an carbon-y

cheers all
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Could just go for a 11-25 cassette?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Could just go for a 11-25 cassette?

This.
  • mudcow007 wrote:

recently i have discovered that i have basically become awesome. me legs are now filled with enough POWAA that im able to out power my 50 toothed chainset (yes its a triple an im pretty sure my cassette is a 12 - 25

Could i just whip off my outta ring, and get something that equals my awesomenous an prowess?

First change your cassette to 11-25, then report back.
  • mudcow007
    will one tooth make that much of difference?!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    And then buy my DA 7900 53-39 chainset when that's still not enough for you (taken off my bike after the test ride and bubble-wrapped since then)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Kieran_Burns
    TommyEss wrote:
    And then buy my DA 7900 53-39 chainset when that's still not enough for you (taken off my bike after the test ride and bubble-wrapped since then)

IMAG0019_zps55587e3f.jpg

thing of beauty...

and only £180
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • TommyEss
    Yes - but I haven't got that! :-P
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    mudcow007 wrote:

Yes. Pop it all into a GI calculator and you'll see.
  • mudcow007 wrote:

More than going to a 54 tooth outer ring. Also I'm suprised to hear you couldn't engage drive, last ride I was up to 43mph on a 50/12 and felt like there was probably at least another 2-3 mph there if my legs could have provided it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    mudcow007 wrote:

(50 / 12) / (50 / 11) = 0.91666666666

So 8.83% bigger ratio

Or is it the other way 'round? In which case 9.09% bigger ratio.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mudcow007 wrote:

at 30mph, 50-12 is 87rpm. 50-11 at the same speed is 80rpm.

http://www.velominati.com/about/cadence-calculator/

I'll refrain from pointing out that it's academic as noone spends that much time at 30mph+.

oops.
  • Kieran_Burns
    mudcow007 wrote:

I'll refrain from pointing out that it's academic as noone spends that much time at 30mph+.

oops.

and I'll refrain from mentioning that your calculations only hold true for one size of tyre... :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • TommyEss
    mudcow007 wrote:

oops.

and I'll refrain from mentioning that your calculations only hold true for one size of tyre... :P

What pressure?!
  • mudcow007 wrote:

oops.

Presumably the OP is not changing his tyres at the same time?
  • Add 28mm rear tire and get 2/3 of an inch extra gear ratio. That said 53-11 is the gear of the gods. If after rings for a compact after you've taken the rear down to 11, look for Praxis Works who do a 52t which fits a standard compact BCD.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    mudcow007 wrote:

You may find that if you just whip your ring off and stick a new one on that the chain starts to skip as it will be worn whereas the new ring won't be...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Well the OP is going to change his cassette ;). And it's good practice to change the chain at the same time.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    How often are you running out of gears on 50-12? I would wager, not often, also your definition of spinning out is probably a fair way from where it should be ;)

That said at 43 mph drafting a truck you likely won't be around long enough to get any benefit from changing to a 11-25.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    okgo wrote:
    How often are you running out of gears on 50-12? I would wager, not often, also your definition of spinning out is probably a fair way from where it should be ;)

That said at 43 mph drafting a truck you likely won't be around long enough to get any benefit from changing to a 11-25.
    To be fair I spin out with 50 12 on long descents on club runs, it's not that difficult....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I'm running a 52/39/30 triple with a 11-28 cassette on the Madone. I think the range is adequate.

Same on my Enigma. I spin out at about 48mph on that, against about 44 on the Genesis with 50/11
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    @120rpm

50/11 = 43.4mph
    52/12 = 41.4mph

So you better off fitting an 11-28 instead of the 12-25 at the back instead of going up to 52 at the front.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • mudcow007
    im not feeling as awesome as i did this morning, i thought it was only me who could spin out....

an also drafting trucks is cool, obviously you hover over your brakes an keeping peeking out to the side of the truck to obstacles (things stopped/ slow) ahead

truck driver had seen me too before i was drafting, even had a chat with him
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I haven't spun out a 46/11 despite having logged 45mph, maybe I can spin and you can't, I think your POWAA is torque not power, I get the same power at less torque so tire slower!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • To be fair I spin out with 50 12 on long descents on club runs, it's not that difficult....

True, there have been occasions recently where I've ended up in 50/12 on what I thought was just gradual decent, not saying I was spinning it out or anything mind, only realised when I got stopped at the traffic lights and moving off was impossible! That said I've no need to go any faster than 50/12 will take me.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    okgo wrote:

To be fair I spin out with 50 12 on long descents on club runs, it's not that difficult....

Its also not that common/easy/or really even required to go much faster than 40 mph in any case - and as someone else said, you'll get your fastest speeds by getting into a tuck rather than pedaling anyway.

As per my comment, its surprising how many people think 110 rpm is spinning out...
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    mudcow007 wrote:

recently i have discovered that i have basically become a masher extraordinaire. me legs now go round so slowly that they can't keep up with my 50 toothed chainset (yes its a triple an im pretty sure my cassette is a 12 - 25

Could i just whip off my outta ring, and get something that enables me to grind even more slowly?
    FTFY
    Pannier, 120rpm.