How much do you spend?

bigharj
bigharj Posts: 78
edited August 2013 in Road general
When I was running I used to buy the odd energy drink and apart from a £100 pair of trainers every 18 months or so, running was 'free'.

Since I have taken up cycling, I have been spending and continue to spend and plan to spend...is it endless? I'm on my first bike too!!!!

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I'm sure my accountant will let me know at year's end, but if I were to guess I'd say a sh!t-tonne.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    What I can afford and no more.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,105
    more than the wife knows and less than I want too
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Hey, I don't drink, I don't smoke, but I do buy quite a bit of cycling stuff.

This month:

Couple of pairs of gloves
    Some socks
    Some new tubes
    A bike.
    Insert bike here:
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    mpatts wrote:
    Hey, I don't drink, I don't smoke, but I do buy quite a bit of cycling stuff.

Same, I probably go to the pub once every couple of months max and that makes me a lightweight so when I do go, barely spend more than a tenner :D

All that extra cash goes towards my transformation into a MAMIL
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    Loads. I have made a lot of orders on Wiggle, every week I seem to need/want something new which I forgot to put on the last order! Bought a turbo trainer on ebay last night, still need a rain jacket, my arm warmers are rubbish and too short so need a new pair, leg warmers slide down because they don't have silicon strips to hold them in place, haven't got a pair of bib tights. Would love a pair of Oakleys too. Unfortunately, when that list dries up a new list will start focusing on the bike, starting with a decent set of wheels. I can think of worse things to spend money on!
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    yes, the spending is endless. there is always something more you 'need' to get.

I also dont drink or smoke. cycling is my gym, my commute, my only exercise so thats how its justified.

i have spent well over 2 grand this year including 2 bikes but its too much by far but its so easy to just get more, more, more.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    bigharj wrote:
    ...is it endless?
    Afraid so
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Just bought new wheels (£500), but was rather quiet for a few months before that. Also just got new Veloce levers to Shimergo my winter bike (£81). Once the initial big purchase of a new bike has passed together with accessories and clothing, I find it goes quiet on the money front since there is nothing else left to buy (until I can thnk of something i.e. another set of wheels).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • hostman
    hostman Posts: 104
    I'm a year in to road cycling and I've more or less bought something every month. So far this month:

Chain whip
    Wheel locking nut thing to remove cassette
    More high5 drink tablets
    Tyre levers (not had to change tyres or tubes in over 1200 miles)

Last month it was a work stand, chain cleaner and more degreaser.

Could buy more also, I want better gloves and an iPhone mount, ha.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I find it’s a pretty constant spend. Mostly because stuff just wears out – all the time. I’m taking about tyres, tubes, chains, chainrings, bibs, jerseys, mitts, bartape, socks, cleats, the list is endless.

I was looking at my race bike at the weekend, and when the season’s over it’s going to need a new saddle, cables, brake blocks, bartape, headset, chainset bearings, chain, cassette, tyres and front mech.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I spend what i can afford..and then a bit more
  • No where near enough, simply because I don't have enough :(

Last year, other than the purchase of my Carrera, I think I spent 400. When I was in Austria and had a lot more disposable income I must have spent 4 grand at least a year.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    It is endless, every season comes and goes with that niggling to buy different kit.

Saying that, if someone gave me 200 notes and said ride the year on this, I could.
    But I'm more than likely so spend 10x that :lol:, although I don't pay for the train and a rail card is over 2k per year!
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    If you're the type that gets 'into things' quickly and also leave it relatively soon (I'm not suggesting you are) then you're in for a very costly time.

If you're in for the long haul, once you've bought the bulk of what you need, it can be a very cheap sport. Problem starts when one starts 'jonesing' after more and more kit. The Internet doesn't help you here, hours drooling over ££££'s worth of bikes/gear is not good for the wallet.

I'm a tight wad, have a good few bikes, all the kit I need and only replace when necessary. It helps that I'm away for 8 months of the year and have to make do with bikes on board or that I can hire.

In all sports I've done/do, I've never been one to obsess about kit. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than whopping someone's arse when you're on a cruddy old bike in baggies and a T and they're 'all the gear, no idea'. Same goes for guitars, how many people (ok, middle aged men) have I seen buying Custom Shop Fenders who can hardly play a note! Focus on ability rather than kit and save your money until you know what you need, rather than what you think you must have.

Your dosh ultimately.
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Six years after buying my bike I thought I'd bought everything I needed.

Then I spotted Westbrooks knocking out the outgoing CR1-SL frame and forks for £500 :shock: . Swapped all the kit over.
    Found I needed a new seatpost cos it's a different size.
    Then thought my old frame looked a bit forlorn stripped of it's components, so explained to my wife that it would be sensible to have a winter bike too.
    Wheels, tyres, stem, bars and tape from Ribble for £120! S/H 9 speed Tiagra groupset off somebody on here in the classifieds.

Surely that's it??
  • mpatts
    IN terms of relating to income, I'd say about 5%.
    Insert bike here:
  • bigharj wrote:
    When I was running I used to buy the odd energy drink and apart from a £100 pair of trainers every 18 months or so, running was 'free'.

Since I have taken up cycling, I have been spending and continue to spend and plan to spend...is it endless? I'm on my first bike too!!!!

How did you make a pair of trainers last 18 months? :shock:
    Mine only last about 3-4 months before I need a new pair. If I do "proper" training for a marathon, then they may only last a couple of months.

Oh, as for cycling....... apart from a new bike biennially, I probably don't spend that much more than I do for running.
  • mpatts
    bigharj wrote:

Mine only last about 3-4 months before I need a new pair. If I do "proper" training for a marathon, then they may only last a couple of months.

Oh, as for cycling....... apart from a new bike biennially, I probably don't spend that much more than I do for running.

I guess I buy a new pair of trainers every 6 months. Current ones have 2 halves, 1 full under their heels.
    Insert bike here:
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    A lot. I started to keep track of it but decided to stop doing so.

There is always something new to buy or upgrade or a sportive to enter.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    PhunkyPhil wrote:
    A lot. I started to keep track of it but decided to stop doing so.

There is always something new to buyor upgradeor a sportive to enter.

Yes, yes, and NO. :P
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I'm keeping a tally of my bike expenses vs my usual travel, waiting for the day when my bike will have paid for itself. Bought the bike in November 2012 (my first and only bike so far), bike only cost £745 but I've spent a total of £2879 so far, and the year ain't over yet. With the travel expenses saved thus far (the bike was originally intended simply to replace my previous method of commuting, i.e. public transport - then I discovered I loved cycling), I'm down £1361.

Unfortunately I do want to build my own "nice" bike, as well as get a proper winter bike, so the numbers will only go up.
  • bigharj
    bigharj Posts: 78

I always bought two pairs at a time, normally last year's Asics model and as a size 15 I only had Asics Gel Foundations to choose from.

I won't be changing my bike until I lose at least another 2-3 stones, currently (19.5st) but I would like to have

Bike fit
    Assos bib shorts
    Wind proof jacket (made to measure, I'm 6ft 7in)
    Cycling tights
    Rear Blinder light
    Long sleeve base layers (again made to measure)

I consider all of the above essential purchases for the coming months as winter sets in, money permitting.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yup, running very cheap... Two pairs of trainers a year, cycling very expensive

In sheer desperation I discovered the effect of gravity and inertia on the human body... Problem sorted
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I now have pretty much everything i need and has taken me 9 months. I have a lot of clothing as i cant be doing with washing things and getting them dry over night.

I have now had to restrict myself to one item a month as a luxury cycling item and then anything thats an essential to keep the bike on the road.

Last month was a nice set of Salice glasses - i wanted to but couldnt justify the cost of a pair of Oakleys !!

Not sure yet on Septembers purchase - maybe a carbon seat post .............

In answer to your question after 9 months there is no end in sight to the amount of money i will be spending !!!
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    if you know your going to keep cycling ( wife wouldnt let me spend much till i really got into it) then get stuck into the sales! the problem is you end up needing gear for the different seasons. for example i have just ordered a new light set and hit the rapha sale for a gillet and winter soft shell. i still really need a rain cape to fold up. beyond that im set for winter. i think if you commute then it justifys your spends a lot more, but its something i dont do lol
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    I am not too bad really, bit of a 'wear stuff until it dies' type - get the most out of it!!! I have my one road bike and my husband has three and is constantly smuggling new kit into the house!!! However, I not only have my bike 'habit'...I have a horse too!!! :roll:
  • rafregt1
    rafregt1 Posts: 52
    matthew h wrote:
    more than the wife knows and less than I want too

Thought that was just me!

Nice to know we're all in the same boat! :D
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Too much according to my wife :mrgreen:

j
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • FORTUNES ! Although I seem to have given up almost everything in my quest to loose weight so have a bit spare in relation to the past! £85 a week on fags, etc etc etc now gets lumped on the jallopy! Mainly at wiggle and prendas !