100RLJs are you on this vid? ;)

2»

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    seiken77 wrote:
    predictable, anti-cyclist crap. I'm pretty sure any of us given a camera could creat a, 100 motor cyclists riding like idiots, film in a matter of 2 weeks.

How is that anti-cyclist?

Fair enough, it might not be intended as anti cyclist, but a video collection of 100 idiots RLJing does very little to dispel the attitude that cyclists are all wanton law breakers with no respect for the law. We're actually not.
    I think the large numbers of cyclists in the vid shows that some cyclists are RLJing idiots, and some aren't. I want people to stop RLJing because it makes me look bad and makes it less likely I'll be believed if I get hit at a junction and I haven't jumped a red light. The culprits here are the cyclists, not the vid poster. Don't shoot the messenger.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    GiantMike wrote:
    The culprits here are the cyclists, not the vid poster. Don't shoot the messenger.
    Nobody is disputing that there were 100 RLJumps ... are all of them unique cyclists though?

Anyway - what the video does is portray Cyclists as a whole to be law breaking RLJrs... when clearly we're not. There may be a fair proportion of miscreants - but no effort is made to establish what that proportion is.
  • GiantMike
    Slowbike wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    The culprits here are the cyclists, not the vid poster. Don't shoot the messenger.
    Nobody is disputing that there were 100 RLJumps ... are all of them unique cyclists though?

Anyway - what the video does is portray Cyclists as a whole to be law breaking RLJrs... when clearly we're not. There may be a fair proportion of miscreants - but no effort is made to establish what that proportion is.
    If they aren't 'unique cyclists', one assumes they change behaviour when they shift from car to bike. If the vid was of 100 cars jumping red lights we'd all be commenting on how unacceptable it was. Why should my opinion of law-breakers be different just because they're cycling?
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Slowbike wrote:
    Anyway - what the video does is portray Cyclists as a whole to be law breaking RLJrs...

No it doesn't. At several points it shows cyclists barging past other cyclists, who are waiting for the lights go change.
    Slowbike wrote:
    There may be a fair proportion of miscreants - but no effort is made to establish what that proportion is.

Possibly because the OP is an amateur film-maker and frustrated commuter, like many on here, rather than a paid researcher for TfL or DfT. You can find formal surveys of RLJ activity on other sights if that's what you want.
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    I'm quite surprised that 0/100 ended up in crashes. Kudos to many car drivers in that video for spotting the pricks coming towards them knowing they'd RLJ'd.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Join a cycling forum, have a comedy avatar of a childs bike, post a video about cyclists riding badly/dangerously, be the coolest kid in town!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • slowbike
    mrfpb wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Anyway - what the video does is portray Cyclists as a whole to be law breaking RLJrs...

No it doesn't. At several points it shows cyclists barging past other cyclists, who are waiting for the lights go change.
    May be not to you - but watch it as though you're a driver ... it implies a different picture.
    Slowbike wrote:
    There may be a fair proportion of miscreants - but no effort is made to establish what that proportion is.

Possibly because the OP is an amateur film-maker and frustrated commuter, like many on here, rather than a paid researcher for TfL or DfT. You can find formal surveys of RLJ activity on other sights if that's what you want.[/quote]
    Indeed - but how many ppl are going to do that - none ...

So we have an amateur film maker saying it's easy to film 100 RLJ cyclists - over an unspecified timescale (although it's reasonably obvious it's not just one day) without any attempt to balance the scale. Ok - it's not a requirement to report even-handedly ... and it's fair enough to point out some cyclists have a bad habit - but these days of everyone being a reporter - is it responsible to post a biased video?
  • seiken77
    seiken77 Posts: 33
    Slowbike wrote:
    - is it responsible to post a biased video?

are we talking about a youtube video or wikileaks?

I think you are blowing things out of proportion.
    Cyclist, Motorcyclist, Driver and Pedestrian... sometimes even a Tube Sardine...
    http://www.youtube.com/bikerspov
  • slowbike
    seiken77 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    - is it responsible to post a biased video?

I think you are blowing things out of proportion.
    As is the op's video.
  • GiantMike
    OP

Thanks for posting the vid showing pricks, idiots and tw@ts breaking the law (who just happen to be cyclists RLJing). On my last visit to London I was astounded at all the cyclists who ignore mandatory road signs and ride over ped crossings even though there are people on them. More enforcement and higher fines may be the solution to this problem. Being in a rush and 'making an assessment of risk' aren't suitable mitigations for blatantly breaking the law.

If you could get some vid of people littering and people not picking up their dog's crap, I'd be a happy man.
  • seiken77
    GiantMike wrote:
    OP
    If you could get some vid of people littering

I actually will be posting one of those soon.
    GiantMike wrote:
    OP
    and people not picking up their dog's crap, I'd be a happy man.

Haven't seen any on my commute yet, sorry.
    Cyclist, Motorcyclist, Driver and Pedestrian... sometimes even a Tube Sardine...
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    I didn't watch to the end - but what I did notice was (contrary to popular opinion) how many cyclists *were* actually stopped at the lights

I'm a pint half-full kind of guy :D
  • What I see in this vid is a lot of cyclists stopped at red lights. Whereas to read the comments by some motorists they are like *all* cyclists run red lights.
  • chris_bass
    if this wasnt aimed at cyclists why isnt it a 100 people breaking the law video?

show people driving whilst on their phones, people rushing through lights in cars after they have gone red (even amber is breaking the law!) people speeding, pedestrians droping litter, etc etc

you can't say you havent seen any of these on your travels?

so it just adds fuel to the fire of the angry motorists who hate cyclists when really they should just aim their hate at people in general!
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Good video. not anti cyclist in my eyes.

However, can in the interest of fairness can the OP advise if he will be apologising for blatantly being in the bicycle tarmac box whilst filming 86. :D:D
  • seiken77
    Chris Bass wrote:
    show people driving whilst on their phones,

there you go:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhdpMWrbKCs

it is just one example - I do not want to put in too many links but believe me I post all kind of stuff
  • seiken77
    izza wrote:
    Good video. not anti cyclist in my eyes.

However, can in the interest of fairness can the OP advise if he will be apologising for blatantly being in the bicycle tarmac box whilst filming 86. :D:D

cheers. ASL is probably better suited in it's own thread... please remember that being in a box is not an offence in any way - it is if you enter it after the lights change - many cyclists forget that very important bit ;)
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I don't have a problem with the video. If it was part of a campaign of videos 'targeting' cyclists I'd have a problem but it doesn't appear to be.
    All the responses about what others groups do wrong is irrelevant. If an officer catches you rlj'ing, the response that a car driver was on his mobile won't help.
  • Dellsinho
    Dellsinho Posts: 100
    Is the bonus RLJer to make up for the 100th cyclist not RLJing?
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • chris_bass
    seiken77 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    show people driving whilst on their phones,

there you go:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhdpMWrbKCs

it is just one example - I do not want to put in too many links but believe me I post all kind of stuff

That's not really the same? also a bit of an over reaction from the biker, if I reacted like that every time I saw someone on their phone whilst driving i'd have to rant at myself for about 10 hours a day!!
  • seiken77
    overreaction would be to stop, drag him out of the car and make him eat the phone... ;) but seriously I was just super pissed off because I could not believe that someone could turn their attention to the phone so much that he unknowingly drifts into other lanes... he could have killed someone. he could have killed me. I see a lot of mobile phone use and usually get just a bit annoyed but never seen anyone as bad.
  • chris_bass
    ah sorry! didnt realise it was you in the video!! you are right that would definitely be an overreaction!!

I was very tempted to RLJ this morning, was waiting at lights but i wasn't being picked up by the sensor so it just stayed on red! the odd thing is it was red for the other direction too! seems like both sets of lights just sit on red until something comes along! luckily a car came after a minute or two so it changed!
  • seiken77
    yep, I'm the crazy guy ;)
    Those sensor lights are not good at all for cyclists nor motorcyclists... happened to me on a motorcycle once and needed to wait for a car to show up...
  • chris_bass
    I saw this and thought of the last few posts of this thread :-)

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/08/watch- ... -deserves/
  • seiken77
    LOL. That is exactly how it should be enforced. No fines etc... Just an immediate punishment.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Lol at this video. Nice one :)

I don't see too many RLJ's in my town but the worst one was some prick on a fixie literally bombing it through a crossing kids were using to get to school :roll:

ohhh 1000 posts! Need to get a life :(
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    Wow. I think OP's getting some unfair flak here. Cyclists RLJ. All commuters do inconsiderate things. Fact. Being defensive about it doesn't get us 'cyclists' anywhere. We have to just continue to work in our own little ways to keep the direction of cultural change re RLJers heading in the right direction.
  • slowbike
    BigLights wrote:
    Wow. I think OP's getting some unfair flak here. Cyclists RLJ. All commuters do inconsiderate things. Fact. Being defensive about it doesn't get us 'cyclists' anywhere. We have to just continue to work in our own little ways to keep the direction of cultural change re RLJers heading in the right direction.

Eh .. is putting "Fact" after an incorrect statement some way of making it true? All commuters do inconsiderate things? Are you sure? All of them? Have you checked? No? Stop talking bolx then!
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Didn't count the ones that stopped though!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"